Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > Off Topic
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Tick tock, tick tock

Can anyone explain to me why the forum time is faster than real time? It's been a few minutes off for a while but now it seems to be 12 or so minutes fast. Please explain to a computer dummy how this happens. Thanks.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:11 AM   #2
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Can anyone explain to me why the forum time is faster than real time? It's been a few minutes off for a while but now it seems to be 12 or so minutes fast. Please explain to a computer dummy how this happens. Thanks.
I assume you are referring to the time at the top left of the screen where it says "You last visited"? I can't see another time, and that time appears to update whenever I logout and then log back in again...I think....

Edit: Call me stupid now, lol. I can now see what you mean. It's the same for me too (looking under new posts etc). I really can't explain why.

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
I assume you are referring to the time at the top left of the screen where it says "You last visited"? I can't see another time, and that time appears to update whenever I logout and then log back in again...I think....

Edit: Call me stupid now, lol. I can now see what you mean. It's the same for me too (looking under new posts etc). I really can't explain why.
Okay, you're stupid now.

So if you can't answer the first question, then tell me this. Why is it that a 16 ounce can of charcoal lighter fluid is made so you can only get 15.5 ounces of fluid out of it without punching a hole in the can? Enquiring minds want to know.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-05-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Okay, you're stupid now.

So if you can't answer the first question, then tell me this. Why is it that a 16 ounce can of charcoal lighter fluid is made so you can only get 15.5 ounces of fluid out of it without punching a hole in the can? Enquiring minds want to know.
I'm gonna say they want you to punch a hole in it so you can drink it faster

About the clock. Virtually no clock can keep exact time and over time (every 6 months or so) it has to be adjusted. I think this one's off because UFF has to update the time, and over the amount of time that he hasn't, it's been creeping off.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:39 AM   #5
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I'm gonna say they want you to punch a hole in it so you can drink it faster

About the clock. Virtually no clock can keep exact time and over time (every 6 months or so) it has to be adjusted. I think this one's off because UFF has to update the time, and over the amount of time that he hasn't, it's been creeping off.
My watch can keep perfect time....Apparently it uses GPS to keep it that way (the company supplied it so all the trains run on time, lol). I always assumed CFs time was the same system like what's on the PC screen (always right time and puts itself back and forward as is necessary). I know CF's clock adjusts to daylight savings etc, so I also assumed the 'minutes' would correct themselves too?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 AM   #6
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
My watch can keep perfect time....Apparently it uses GPS to keep it that way (the company supplied it so all the trains run on time, lol). I always assumed CFs time was the same system like what's on the PC screen (always right time and puts itself back and forward as is necessary). I know CF's clock adjusts to daylight savings etc, so I also assumed the 'minutes' would correct themselves too?
Computers update their time from a website daily. I don't know if CF does though. So do your trains always run on time? lol
Old 11-05-2007, 02:16 AM   #7
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Computers update their time from a website daily. I don't know if CF does though. So do your trains always run on time? lol
I always though a computer's time was kept in a much more complicated way, lol. And no, our trains don't always run on time....well, they're on time about 94.8% of the time which aint bad, lol.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #8
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
I always thought a computer's time was kept in a much more complicated way, lol. And no, our trains don't always run on time....well, they're on time about 94.8% of the time which ain't bad, lol.
Mussolini was able to make the trains in Italy run on time...What's he been up to lately?
Old 11-05-2007, 05:01 AM   #9
Bubba
null

The time you see on the forums is based off the server's time clock. If it's a windows based server, it will usually attempt to update the time once a week (though, not always successfully). On linux based servers, that option isn't generally enabled by default and time is set manually. Or it could be set manually (windows/linux) and Adam hasn't checked the server's time in a while. I think he said he ran it all at his house at one point. My own server seems to lose time frequently, but its running older hardware..
Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 AM   #10
GreekWarrior
CF Extraordinaire

someone forgot to turn the flux capacitor on.

GreekWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM   #11
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

The time displayed comes directly from the server's time that the PHP's parser runs through. So, if the time is off, it's the server's fault.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Thank you for the replies. You've pretty much confirmed what I expected. I guess I just don't understand why my PC can have the time update daily (hourly if I want) but what I assume to be a big, expensive, high tech server doesn't. It seems so simple there shouldn't be any reason not to.

Thanks again.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba
The time you see on the forums is based off the server's time clock. If it's a windows based server, it will usually attempt to update the time once a week (though, not always successfully). On linux based servers, that option isn't generally enabled by default and time is set manually. Or it could be set manually (windows/linux) and Adam hasn't checked the server's time in a while. I think he said he ran it all at his house at one point. My own server seems to lose time frequently, but its running older hardware..
I believe CF is run on an Apache server...Does that update it's time?
Old 11-05-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
Enthusiast
VTEC LOL

I have an old school watch my dad gave me and It hasnt been adjusted in a long time, I dont ever use it so I dont change it even for dail light savings time. It is off exactly one hour from what my comp and phone say, Im guessing its because of time change.

Ill have to see what kind it is, when I get home.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #15
Bubba
null

Quote:
I believe CF is run on an Apache server...Does that update it's time?

Apache is the server software. It runs on multiple platforms, so it just depends on what its running on, windows, linux, etc.