Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Idiots and Automotive Repair

Stop! Before reading any further, be fully aware that this post is essentially a rant. The reason for putting it here is the recent spate of posts from our favorite forum idiot newyorker, thinking and pretending he knows something about cars. I'm sorry, I used the words "think" and "newyorker" in the same sentence. My mistake. Continue at your own risk.

The world is full of morons who think they know how to repair cars, but normally do just the opposite. Right now I have a '99 Suburban in the shop and an irate owner. Ya see, a few weeks ago it quit on him. As the story goes, everything was okay until one morning he went out to go to work and it wouldn't start. It was one of our first relatively cold mornings so he figured it was caused by the weather. Enter his next door neighbor.

Next door neighbor guy (NDNG) talked to the owner that afternoon and the subject of the Sub came up. The NDNG told him he knows all about this kind of thing and can take care of it. He went over and took a look. Diagnosis, starter.

As you may have guessed, the new starter made no difference. So it must be the alternator. Nope. Has to be the battery. Keep guessing. "The engine won't turn over if the fuel pump is bad." Yes, he really said it, so a new fuel pump went in. Sorry. Desperation must now be setting in because they replaced the starter again. And then the cap, rotor, wires, plugs and distributor. Still no workee.

Finally yesterday at work the owner mentioned his frustration to a co-worker of his who is a customer of mine. He called me and explained his dillema. I had the Sub towed to my little 10 month old, one man shop. It took longer to get off the rollback than it did to diagnose the problems. Problem #1 is that his stupid neighbor spent about $1k of his money to not fix a damn thing. Problem #2 is that I now have to deal with an irate customer who can't really afford to repair the original problem because of #1.

The root cause of all this mindless parts replacing? A locked up A/C compressor. Drop the belt and fire it up. Stupid f*cking shadetrees. I wish they'd all die... Except they create a lot of work for me. Thanks NDNG.

Over and out.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
What
Banned

I had a car quit on my once because of a locked-up a/c compressor...but I figured it out. You'll never get my money bitch.

Your customer should be able to return all of those parts. You should suggest that to him.
What is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #3
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

So how's that bet going anyway?

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
I had a car quit on my once because of a locked-up a/c compressor...but I figured it out. You'll never get my money bitch.

Your customer should be able to return all of those parts. You should suggest that to him.
Just when I think you might be one of the smarter members on the forum, you go and prove that you're actually newyorker posting from a different IP.

Let's just for a moment assume that he would try to return the parts. First, he has to pay someone to remove said parts, so that diminishes his potential return. Second, parts stores are in the business of selling parts, not loaning them to people to try on their car to see if they work. Real parts stores won't take them back, big box parts stores MAY take them back. Third, the high dollar parts that have the potential to be returned (starter, alternator, battery) have already had the core turned in and processed. For the small minded among you, that means that even IF he could return them, he wouldn't have a part to reinstall. Fourth, someone needs to be paid for installation, which of course means his return will be even less.

Finally, it's parts changing dimwits like you who do take perfectly good (and sometimes damaged) parts back to a store because your wild ass guess "diagnosis" was wrong. That raises the price of parts for EVERYBODY. The best thing he can do is just accept the fact that he f*cked up, suck it up like a man and take this as a good life lesson. The best thing you could do is just sit down, shut up and don't waste bandwidth telling us about what you don't know. I don't freestyle because a man's got to know his limitations. Instead of making yourself look stupid, you should learn yours. You, like your alter ego have publically displayed your ignorance of the automotive aftermarket industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
So how's that bet going anyway?
Estimated gross income from 2/1/07-1/31/08 is $155-$165K. Not bad for a first year start-up. The shop exceeded expectations. The $5k bet money will be going to the local animal shelter matched with $5k from my wife. We'll be eating at Ruth's Chris Steak House on or about February 1st.

I'd say it's going okay.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 11-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #5
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels

As Borat would say, "bery niiiice"

UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM   #6
newyorker
MXman

and the point of this is....if i dont know how to do something, I wont tackle it. Ive already rejected one person that had a dent in their door that I didnt have the tools to fix...sure I could have slapped bondo over and it rattlecan the frame, but thats not my way.

Just wanted to send a follow-up email about this. Unfortunately, from your description, there is nothing that I can do to fix this. The dent is in a place where the metal is thicker to help rigidity of the door frame, therefore, a dent puller will do nothing against it. That kind of damage would require a bondo (body filler) job to get the shape of the door frame back, and then would need to be painted. Unfortunately, due to my low volume and general inquiries, I do not have an air compressor, or access to color-coded paint at a good price. I do not have a spray booth to ensure a factory quality finish. I also do not have enough experience with this level of repair and paint to do it for customers, because I want my work to be as perfect as possible, and this isnt the kind of job I can say that about. If you would like, I can send you a list of several good body shops around the area that will be able to help you quickly and for a fair price. Thanks for your inquiry, good luck, and Happy Holidays. If you ever need anything else done, specifically mechanical work, do not hesitate to email.

--
Alex

yea...like I said, im not one to tackle doing things I have no clue about...or things that I just dont have the tools for. the HID on the maxima was a hit/miss type deal because if I could have fixed it, good, if not, he would have taken it somewhere else...its not like im charging him to try, especially if I dont fix the problem
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Case in point.
SOUTHWORTH, Wash. (AP) -- A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs, sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth, about 10 miles southwest of Seattle, and had gotten all but one of the lug nuts off the right rear wheel by Saturday afternoon, Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

The man was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with injuries Wilson described as severe but not life-threatening.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:51 PM   #8
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
SOUTHWORTH, Wash. (AP) -- A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs, sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth, about 10 miles southwest of Seattle, and had gotten all but one of the lug nuts off the right rear wheel by Saturday afternoon, Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

The man was taken to Tacoma General Hospital with injuries Wilson described as severe but not life-threatening.
lol thats sad and funny as well

Old 11-13-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
What
Banned

Quote:
Finally, it's parts changing dimwits like you who do take perfectly good (and sometimes damaged) parts back to a store because your wild ass guess "diagnosis" was wrong.

Come on now, stop it. I'm not a parts changer. BUT IF I WAS...I'd be the best in the world...and as the best, I wouldn't core my original parts until I changed the part that fixed the problem. That's how I'd roll...f#ck the big picture. Trial and error for the price of...I don't know...on Autozone's house. I'd keep MY price cheap. The NDNG should have no problem putting his parts back on.

And to further kick your industry in the nuts, I'd let you diagnose it then tow it home to change the part myself...or in this case, have the NDNG change it...unless the tow is more expensive than your fix.

That's how I'd roll as a master parts changer. Luckily, I don't roll like that. I care about people.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #10
67Coronet383
CF Riff Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Come on now, stop it. I'm not a parts changer. BUT IF I WAS...I'd be the best in the world...and as the best, I wouldn't core my original parts until I changed the part that fixed the problem. That's how I'd roll...f#ck the big picture. Trial and error for the price of...I don't know...on Autozone's house. I'd keep MY price cheap. The NDNG should have no problem putting his parts back on.

And to further kick your industry in the nuts, I'd let you diagnose it then tow it home to change the part myself...or in this case, have the NDNG change it...unless the tow is more expensive than your fix.

That's how I'd roll as a master parts changer. Luckily, I don't roll like that. I care about people.
Everyone, I have broken What's code. His special brand of bullshit comes from...

Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
What
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Coronet383
Everyone, I have broken What's code. His special brand of bullshit comes from...

Your image malfunctioned. This is the image he was trying to post.

Last edited by What : 11-13-2007 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:57 PM   #12
newyorker
MXman

My rule is simple, and I tell everyone whos car I work on the same thing.

"If I know I cant fix the problem, I will not try to fix it because I dont want to make it worse. If I do undertake fixing something, and do not fix it, I dont charge."

Why would I have people throw me money for things I cannot do, thats bad business practice. I am always honest with people, and never have scammed someone when it comes to money and never will, because I am a fair person. I just had a woman named Ashley call me, she said her VW cabrio has a jammed cartridge in the cd changer slot because she put it in backwards. Its a 40 minute drive to get there, and I told her "If I cannot fix the problem, I obviously will not charge you for it." Honesty and integrity like that is what makes people come back to you in the future, and give positive recomendations to their friends, so in turn, while I may not make money tomorrow (hopefully I will because its a fairly simple job), I will leave her house with a good reputation, and may likely get her business in the future.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:34 AM   #13
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
My rule is simple, and I tell everyone whos car I work on the same thing.

"If I know I cant fix the problem, I will not try to fix it because I dont want to make it worse. If I do undertake fixing something, and do not fix it, I dont charge."

Why would I have people throw me money for things I cannot do, thats bad business practice. I am always honest with people, and never have scammed someone when it comes to money and never will, because I am a fair person. I just had a woman named Ashley call me, she said her VW cabrio has a jammed cartridge in the cd changer slot because she put it in backwards. Its a 40 minute drive to get there, and I told her "If I cannot fix the problem, I obviously will not charge you for it." Honesty and integrity like that is what makes people come back to you in the future, and give positive recomendations to their friends, so in turn, while I may not make money tomorrow (hopefully I will because its a fairly simple job), I will leave her house with a good reputation, and may likely get her business in the future.

what a deal!! who wouldn't take their car to someone that may or may not be able to fix it, but won't charge them money if they waste the customer's time b/c they can't fix it. and i would definitely bring my car back so you could not fix more stuff too--just b/c you're honest...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 02:52 AM   #14
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger65
what a deal!! who wouldn't take their car to someone that may or may not be able to fix it, but won't charge them money if they waste the customer's time b/c they can't fix it. and i would definitely bring my car back so you could not fix more stuff too--just b/c you're honest...
Umm...they dont come to me, I go to them. And FYI, if I know that I cant fix something, I dont bother going out but just tell them that I cant help them in the particular situation.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:04 AM   #15
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Umm...they dont come to me, I go to them. And FYI, if I know that I cant fix something, I dont bother going out but just tell them that I cant help them in the particular situation.
Do you actually believe all the stuff you post, or are you merely trying to play an elaborate trick on us all??