Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2007, 08:46 PM   #1
knabster
CF Newbie

Mass Air Flow Sensor Reviews

Has anyone installed or know somenone who has installed and tried a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor on a 2004 Grand Prix 3.8L supercharged with a K&N cold air induction and 3 in exhaust?

I definitely felt the K&N mod as it made the throttle response more linear, and not so jumpy when the supercharger kicks in. Fuel economy went up about 7% as well!

I would like to know if adding a Granatelli MAF will also step up the performance and improve fuel economy? Do you think its worth the $300 or so spent? I drive 70 miles round trip to work.

Last edited by knabster : 11-16-2007 at 04:59 PM.
knabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 09:03 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabster
Has anyone installed or know somenone who has installed and tried a Granatelli Mass Air Flow Sensor. I would like to know if there worth the bucks spent.
on what car....this is a really general question, as it may help on some cars, and may not help on some cars
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Like NYer said, it depends on your car. If it's your first mod to a stock car, there are probably more cost-effective ways to gain performance. If you are really modding a car, eventually the stock MAF may have to go, and I've never heard a quality complaint about Granatelli (sp?). Keep in mind that an aftermarket MAF will probably give you a 0-10hp... not enough to feel.

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Depends on application. The MAF is a supporting modification that is meant to be tuned to the ECU/Injector set up. Bolting on a larger one will most likely throw off the AFR for a while until your computer compensates for you provided the O2 sensors aren't hurtin.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:22 AM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Like NYer said, it depends on your car. If it's your first mod to a stock car, there are probably more cost-effective ways to gain performance. If you are really modding a car, eventually the stock MAF may have to go, and I've never heard a quality complaint about Granatelli (sp?). Keep in mind that an aftermarket MAF will probably give you a 0-10hp... not enough to feel.
Lol, once again depending on what car. I definately felt my intake in the higher RPM, and that was only 5 horsepower...MAYBE
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 12:13 AM   #6
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Lol, once again depending on what car. I definately felt my intake in the higher RPM, and that was only 5 horsepower...MAYBE
You may feel better throttle response, or some other increase in performance, but even in a lower hp car I highly doubt your ass is sensitive enough feel 5hp. Think of it this way, a loss of 5hp is probably equivalent to having a person sitting in the car (extra weight). Can you really feel the difference in acceleration?

Old 11-22-2007, 12:00 AM   #7
knabster
CF Newbie

Actually, K&N claims a 15 HP gain. And yes, you can feel it on a 3.8L V6, 260+ HP supercharged engine. Its definitely breathing easier. Maybe the K&N cold air induction enhanced the 3" exhaust I installed.

Incidentally, I ordered the Granatelli MAF for $249 from JD's performance. The price was right, so stay tuned for the results.

Last edited by knabster : 11-22-2007 at 12:05 AM.
knabster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 AM   #8
giant016
My mom says I'm cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by knabster
Actually, K&N claims a 15 HP gain. And yes, you can feel it on a 3.8L V6, 260+ HP supercharged engine. Its definitely breathing easier. Maybe the K&N cold air induction enhanced the 3" exhaust I installed.

Incidentally, I ordered the Granatelli MAF for $249 from JD's performance. The price was right, so stay tuned for the results.
I'm willing to bet K&N claims UP TO a 15hp gain. Big difference. I see too many ricers adding up the "up to" numbers of their mods to come up with their horsepower.

We can argue untill the cows come home over whether or not you can feel X amount of hp, but neither of us is going to win/budge, so I'm dropping that one.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't a performance pulley + tune greatly benefit you (moreso than a MAF)? IIRC the SC'd 3.6 respond nicely to a pulley/tune.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
rudypoochris
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wouldn't a performance pulley + tune greatly benefit you (moreso than a MAF)? IIRC the SC'd 3.6 respond nicely to a pulley/tune.

Of course. That would require actually doing something to the car though which is just going WAY TOO FAR. I can feel 5hp though on my Explorer. Mainly because it is heavy as shit and only has 145hp to begin with. Hahha. I can definately feel the difference between cold morning start up (more power) and 10 minutes later when the manifold is hot (less power). Also another way I can tell atleast torque wise is by putting it in 1st gear, cruising, then nailing the throttle. When it is just started on a cold morning you can chirp the tires at 1500rpm by dabing the throttle, when warm, 1700. Whatever, thats just me being anal. End long pointless blabber...

Fact of the matter is a MAF is something you tune to the car... not something you just slap on. It is a supporting modification.
rudypoochris is offline   Reply With Quote