Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2003, 04:05 AM   #1
Mike

Can you make an automatic car into a manual car?

I would like to buy an automatic civic but I also want to buy and accord. It is a manual car. Can you make the civic which is automatic as fast as the accord that is manual. The honda civic is a 96 EX I still don't know how much it is going to cost. It has 70000 miles. The accord is a 94 5 speed, with intake, exaust, rims but it has a lot of miles. Like 150000 but its cheap 4000 dollars. What's better.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2003, 06:00 AM   #2
brad131

why would you want to buy a honda in the first place. I would go with the one that you like the most . if you don't like to shift go with the auto if you like to shift go with the stick . with the way they make car's today i don't think the milage is to big an issue other than if the 150k car was mantained in good order and the 70k car was beat to shit i'd take the higher milage car any day of the week
Old 01-12-2003, 10:52 AM   #3
CivicRacingGirl7

umm... you're asking if you buy the civic can you convert it to manual? yes. did this to my crx, it's pretty simple. however, why not just look for a civic that's already manual? it may be cheaper in the long run. fortunately, everything for my conversion was free since we had a parts car and my friends and i did the work.
Old 01-15-2003, 02:29 AM   #4
Mike

HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST?

CIVICRACINGGIRL7, HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST? THE CIVIC IS MY SISTERS AND SHE WANTS TO SELL IT TO ME OR GIVE IT TO ME FOR FREE. BUT WILL IT WORK THE SAME AS AN ORIGINAL MANUAL CAR? ONE OF MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT IF YOU CONVERT IT YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. THE TRANAMISSION WILL GET STUCK ONCE IN A WHILE. DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR CRX? AND DO YOU KNOW A PLACE WHERE I COULD GO THAT ITS CHEAP?
THE ACCORD IS ALREADY MANUAL BUT ITS EXPENSIER. I LIKE THE CIVIC A LOT MORE. THATS WHY I WANT IT MANUAL, BECAUSE I THINK IT WILL MAKE THE CIVIC FASTER AND IT LOOKS BETTER. I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION IF YOU FIX A CAR UP WHICH ONE WILL BE FASTER THE AUTOMATIC OR THE MANUAL?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:19 PM   #5
starfish
CF Newbie

a manual will always be faster that is if u have the same car and same upgrades that and if u kno how to shift faster nothing worse then racing in a manual and granny shift 8O
starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 04:23 AM   #6
RichG
CF Enthusiast

Re: HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
CIVICRACINGGIRL7, HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST? THE CIVIC IS MY SISTERS AND SHE WANTS TO SELL IT TO ME OR GIVE IT TO ME FOR FREE. BUT WILL IT WORK THE SAME AS AN ORIGINAL MANUAL CAR? ONE OF MY FRIENDS TOLD ME THAT IF YOU CONVERT IT YOU WILL HAVE PROBLEMS. THE TRANAMISSION WILL GET STUCK ONCE IN A WHILE. DO YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH YOUR CRX? AND DO YOU KNOW A PLACE WHERE I COULD GO THAT ITS CHEAP?
THE ACCORD IS ALREADY MANUAL BUT ITS EXPENSIER. I LIKE THE CIVIC A LOT MORE. THATS WHY I WANT IT MANUAL, BECAUSE I THINK IT WILL MAKE THE CIVIC FASTER AND IT LOOKS BETTER. I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION IF YOU FIX A CAR UP WHICH ONE WILL BE FASTER THE AUTOMATIC OR THE MANUAL?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.
if you do a tranny swap correctly it will act like a car originally equipped with one, this swap is quite detailed and would reccomend taking it somewhere if you arent that good with cars

Nayner = Good
RichG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 AM   #7
Mike

RichG

How much would it cost if I take it somewhere? Like an autoshop. I live in Chicago.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #8
RichG
CF Enthusiast

I am not sure, do you have ALL the parts? if so I could see them charging you a grand at least, but make sure you have all the parts, even the little stuff.

Nayner = Good
RichG is offline   Reply With Quote