Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #16
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Oh..I didn't know that..that's probably the same for Virginia. Hm..then my dad probably won't let me..lol..Okay..thanks newyorker.
MgsJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #17
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MgsJester
Oh..I didn't know that..that's probably the same for Virginia. Hm..then my dad probably won't let me..lol..Okay..thanks newyorker.
Im not sure how la enforcement works in your state, but here tinting the drivers and passangers window is illegal and 2 years I have not been bothered ones, but a friend of mine (nissan_altima here) got stopped in the suburbs...it really depends on a lot of things. How you drive, where you are, and of course the officer. Technically modifying the exhust is illegal as well, but 2 years here and no problem, I even have my exhaust coming out of the side so its all the more obvious but noone has said a word. Ive even had an officer next to me at a light say "hey you know window tint is illegal right" I said "no" he laughed and drove away. It depends if you want to take the chance, and on the car as well. A car like mine that is customized is more likely to get stopped for window tint than if I was driving a ford windstar. Silverstars are perfectly legal, and there are also philips bulbs out there I hear are good I think they are called Philips 50+ and Philips 80+. Just dont get the cheapo 30 dollar bulbs from pep boys that are bluuuue and you will be OK
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM   #18
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Im not sure how la enforcement works in your state, but here tinting the drivers and passangers window is illegal and 2 years I have not been bothered ones, but a friend of mine (nissan_altima here) got stopped in the suburbs...it really depends on a lot of things. How you drive, where you are, and of course the officer. Technically modifying the exhust is illegal as well, but 2 years here and no problem, I even have my exhaust coming out of the side so its all the more obvious but noone has said a word. Ive even had an officer next to me at a light say "hey you know window tint is illegal right" I said "no" he laughed and drove away. It depends if you want to take the chance, and on the car as well. A car like mine that is customized is more likely to get stopped for window tint than if I was driving a ford windstar. Silverstars are perfectly legal, and there are also philips bulbs out there I hear are good I think they are called Philips 50+ and Philips 80+. Just dont get the cheapo 30 dollar bulbs from pep boys that are bluuuue and you will be OK
Not sure if it's like this over there, but in the UK it's all down to measurements as to what is and what isn't legal for the road. For example, window tints wouldn't be allowed to be too dark, but they're legal to an extent, as long as it's not any front windows I think, lol. Same goes for exhaust noise and vehicle lighting in that the exhaust can be as modified as you like, so long as it's not too loud, and the headlamps can be as bright as you like so long as they're not too brights and the beam pattern isn't interfered with,

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #19
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Oh..okay. But if I get the Sylvania Silverstars..they're just plug and play so I can just use it without any conversion kit?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:21 PM   #20
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Oh..okay. But if I get the Sylvania Silverstars..they're just plug and play so I can just use it without any conversion kit?
Yep. Silverstars are made as a direct replacement bulb but a better performing one...think of it as taking out your old air filter and putting in a K&N drop-in...same fit, no mods, better performance. Definately great bulbs though..after my HIDs everyone elses bulbs started looking yellow...like they dont light anything anymore...silverstars are still great

Old 09-08-2007, 08:33 PM   #21
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Alright thanks..um..lots of questions sorry but last one. I heard that I had to adjust the height of the light? is that true or do I just screw it in and just leave it?
Old 09-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #22
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Alright thanks..um..lots of questions sorry but last one. I heard that I had to adjust the height of the light? is that true or do I just screw it in and just leave it?
Well it depends on the kind of bulb you have. Most are just a plug in and they are secured, some you have to turn to secure, some just go in and then a little clip goes on the back to keep it in place. You shouldnt have to aim anything though

Old 09-09-2007, 01:43 AM   #23
MgsJester
CF Newbie

Alright. Time for my first tweak! Yeah..it's probably really simple to you guys...but I hope I don't mess it all up.lol
Old 09-09-2007, 02:16 AM   #24
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Alright. Time for my first tweak! Yeah..it's probably really simple to you guys...but I hope I don't mess it all up.lol
il give u a step by step...might be a tight fit though the ones on my moms car took me 2 minutes for both on my civic 30 minutes per side

1. Unplug harness
2. Remove rubber boot cover
3. undo the metal bracket/twist bulb (this step depends on the kind of bulb you use and housing some will twist in, some will have a clip holding them in place)
4. remove bulb
5. insert new bulb (remember do NOT NOT NOT touch the glass the oil from your fingers will break it when you turn it on)
6. twist into place, or re-do clip
7. replace rubber boot (will have a "top" tag on it which tells you what side goes on top)
8. push boot all the way in and around the bulb to ensure a tight seal
9. replug harness
10. test for function
11. enjoy

Old 12-05-2007, 02:28 PM   #25
millco
CF Newbie

Lightbulb Please do adjust your headlights.....

Interesting read! I learned a thing or two..... Thanks!

I want to add though that everytime you do something to affect the aim of your headlights; you must re-aim them. This includes changing the bulb(s)! Reason is that the placement of the filament is what dictates the shape of your beam and how it projects. Modern manufacturing is pretty close; but, let's face it: it ain't perfect.
Before you right my statement off as being wrong, stop. Think of your lights as a long lever. A 'beam' if you will. How long? Well, how long do your headlights shine? It doesn't really matter; but, for this example let's say it is 500 ft. If you are holding this end of the lever (beam); how much do you have to move this end to make a few feet of movement on the other end? You almost won't notice this end moving! There are that much of a difference in where the filament is placed from bulb to bulb; even on an assembly line.
The reasons I am so adament about properly adjusting your headlights are pretty simple:
1. I don't like meeting oncoming traffic that has their bulbs adjusted to high (I bet you don't either!) We have all met a vehicle that has one bulb adjusted too high. Most of the time this is because it has been replaced without adjustment!
2. I am just like everyone else here: I want the best and brightest beam I can throw down range. If too many of us are using misadjusted headlights; the gov is more likely to solve the problem by reducing the light output of our bulbs. I bet you don't want that either.
3. I hear a lot of people crying about HIDs already. If they get outlawed, then I won't ever even get to try a pair. I think they're great; but, if they are adjusted too high, it is almost unbearable. Anyway, you get my point...
It is very easy to adjust them! You may need to buy a special tool; but, that is ok, right? Use a building that has a level section of ground next to it. Park within about 10 ft of the building and make a mark where the top of your low beams hit it (Use masking tape if it isn't your building!). Then back away from the building to about 50 ft and make sure the top of the beam is lower than before.
I go a step further and park on a level surface. I then run a few hundred feet in front of the vehicle and look back at it. I croutch down so I am at the same eye level as an MG driver. I make sure my beam is below my eye level so it won't be shining in anyones eyes. If needed I can make final fine adjustments here. That way, I can get the most light downrange; but, won't be glaring in anyones eyes.
HTH,
Dan
millco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #26
-Ice-
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07exlv6
hey evreryone, the hadlights that i have on my older accord are not tsx or any other projector they are still the cheap ebay projector but since those projectors are not made to work with hid i had to do some customization such as fitment and aligning....now for my new accord i got the depo headlights (factory design with black housing) and right now in a process of ordering the parts for retro (tl bi-xenon with color shield and a custom shraud)....

so MgsJester what you need to do is get your self a nice plug and play 6000k HID kit and it takes 15 min to put it in ( i agree with new yorker completly, mine is 8000k and it is "stupid ricer" blue, specially since i have color shield) check my cardomain in a sig for pics and vid

...a good kit will cost you around $200, if you want to go with retro its $400-500 to do it your self and around a grand to get them done.

Great pics... I like your headlight...