Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
4carsken
CF Newbie

Question !987 Chevy Turbo Sprint - won't idle

My 1987 Chevy turbo sprint will not idle. It will run OK in the higher revs but kills immediately when I take my foot off the gas. This improves slightly when it is fully warmed up but it still idles rough and kills eventually. It has a 1.1 litre 3 cylinder turbo-charged engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. I had the engine rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. Any ideas?
4carsken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4carsken
My 1987 Chevy turbo sprint will not idle. It will run OK in the higher revs but kills immediately when I take my foot off the gas. This improves slightly when it is fully warmed up but it still idles rough and kills eventually. It has a 1.1 litre 3 cylinder turbo-charged engine with a 5-speed manual transmission. I had the engine rebuilt about 50,000 miles ago. Any ideas?

The simplest thing I can think of to make your situation occur is a dirty throttle body. (Yes - I've seen that happen before)
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 12:30 AM   #3
808state
CF Newbie

?

I may not be sure but I had a 86 sprint 330k+ miles,(I love that car) and if this condition isn't new to your car, it could be related to a malfuntion in your turbo. Not turning smoothly and creating too much back preassure when in high revs. Its only a poor 3 clyr! But if your engine has been rebuilt what about the turbo, needing more attention than the engine itself?
Then again this does not really apply to my field. I use turbos on desiels.
(I never knew sprint was made turbo.)

Last edited by 808state : 03-15-2005 at 12:34 AM.
808state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:05 AM   #4
shawn223
CF Newbie

Maybe the distributer is bad and you need a tune up.
shawn223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:02 AM   #5
the lobster
CF Addict

need more info to see

check the timing,make sure the throttle body is clean,and some designs actually use a servo motor to control idle speed(5.9 litre dodge for example).
find out if yours has a idle speed control servo motor.the brushes go bad and the idle speed will try to run at 250 to 400 rpm. your turbo could also cause trouble if it is intercooled which i believe the sprint is,because it could be causing excess crankcase pressure. remove the oil cap and will it idle ? if so,there could be excess pressure .the turbo is run from the exhaust,turning an impeller,which pressurises the intake manifold psi to roughly 2 atmospheres.if the turbo is faulty,you could have a symptom similar to trying to get your engine to run with a banana in the tailpipe.excess backload could do it .if you disconnect the turbo and the problem goes away ,thats it. ALSO.
IT IS CRITICAL WITH A 3 CYL THAT THE IGNITION IS IN PERFECT SHAPE.THE PLUGS ONLY FIRE EVERY 120 DEGREES.THERE IS NO ROOM FOR ERROR...

Last edited by the lobster : 03-15-2005 at 10:04 AM.
the lobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #6
Dennis Bryant
CF Newbie

Idle problems

I own a 1987 Chevy Sprint Turbo. Had the same problem. The air flow meter was sticking. Took apart adjusted the spring a couple off teeth tighter. Ran fine for a week or so. Then it did it again. Found bad Corrosion in all three fuel injector conectors. Cleaned and had no problems 10k since. Why did the air flow stick..... with the intermitten injectors the engine coughed back air flow is all I could figure.
Dennis Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote