Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #1
wayne0312
CF Newbie

'08 Silverado won't start

Hello all, new here. I have a brand new 2008 Silverado. Yesterday I was playing around with a couple amps and I saw a spark at the power and ground connections while connecting. I immediatley took away and thought worst case scenerio would be a blown amp. WRONG!!! My truck won't start! When I initally tried to turn it over, the car would start and shut off after 2-3 seconds. Numerous times it did this. NOW, I'm getting no crank or sound at all when I turn the ignition on. The lights work, headunit lights up, BUT nothing! Any ideas what could be causing this??? Thanks
wayne0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict

im not an expert at this . this never happend to me. but i think u blew some fuses and relays. that what i think

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

If you don't know what you are doing with electronics, you may be best off having someone else look at it.
What was fried could depend on where you were connecting to. If you had capacitors that hadn't been discharged, and you didn't connect them properly, you could have back fed significant power through various fragile circuits. If you saw sparks, you can almost guarantee that you fried something. Basically, unless you have some kind of trouble code, you are going to have to trace the circuit(s) that you were connecting to, and verify that each component is functioning the way it should. A wiring diagram would be helpful. It sounds like you could have easily fried some kind of control module. If it was simply a blown fuse or relay, I don't think the symptoms would change after a little while, unless you burned up something else (starter/relay?) by trying to start it repeatedly.

Someone else tell me if I am crazy:
If he fried something in the fuel delivery system, it would start and run for a few seconds, just running on what pressure might be left in the system, but after several tries, there would be no pressure left. Does this vehicle have some kind of system that would prevent it from cranking if there is no fuel pressure?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:03 AM   #4
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrose18
If you don't know what you are doing with electronics, you may be best off having someone else look at it.
What was fried could depend on where you were connecting to. If you had capacitors that hadn't been discharged, and you didn't connect them properly, you could have back fed significant power through various fragile circuits. If you saw sparks, you can almost guarantee that you fried something. Basically, unless you have some kind of trouble code, you are going to have to trace the circuit(s) that you were connecting to, and verify that each component is functioning the way it should. A wiring diagram would be helpful. It sounds like you could have easily fried some kind of control module. If it was simply a blown fuse or relay, I don't think the symptoms would change after a little while, unless you burned up something else (starter/relay?) by trying to start it repeatedly.

Someone else tell me if I am crazy:
If he fried something in the fuel delivery system, it would start and run for a few seconds, just running on what pressure might be left in the system, but after several tries, there would be no pressure left. Does this vehicle have some kind of system that would prevent it from cranking if there is no fuel pressure?

The system would de-pressurize almost immediately as soon as the injectors fire-there is not enough residual pressure to run anything.

Not knowing which wiring was shorted, I hesitate to comment much further. - The lesson to be learned is to know what one is doing or leave the radios to someone who does. My suggestion to to take the truck to the dealer service depart and have your wallet open when you go.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:42 AM   #5
carls47807
CF Freak

is the security light on by any chance?
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
Aldominguez68
CF Newbie

the basic of an engine

ok so you hook a new amp and you got a big bam.stick to the basic of egine.
The step by step basic of how egine work .check if you got gas presure.and if you do the check for spark.if you got both of the basic. them the next step is make sure that the pcm is working.buy a scanner autopart and see if you can communicate with the pcm .do you have communication yes or no.if yes good news, but if not you burn your pcm.I hope you know what is the next step Take your car the dealer. good luck :
Aldominguez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:17 PM   #7
carls47807
CF Freak

wait, what if there's no fuel, spark, and the pcm isn't working. then what step does he go to? just because you don't have communication with pcm doesn't mean it's blown, you might not have 12v at the connector (due to a blown fuse/wire).
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldominguez68
ok so you hook a new amp and you got a big bam.stick to the basic of egine.
The step by step basic of how egine work .check if you got gas presure.and if you do the check for spark.if you got both of the basic. them the next step is make sure that the pcm is working.buy a scanner autopart and see if you can communicate with the pcm .do you have communication yes or no.if yes good news, but if not you burn your pcm.I hope you know what is the next step Take your car the dealer. good luck :

Taking a third grade level English and spelling class would help us understand you (If you are in high school, pay attention to the instructor in the class you are supposed to be attending).
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #9
jbano13
CF Newbie

I think it is most likely your alternator, this happened to my buddy's dodge. Good luck
jbano13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
DBain
CF Enthusiast

This wont help you now but it may in the future. When playing with wires unhook the battery first.
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote