Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 04:39 AM   #1
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
What Car to Buy

Some members make these threads pretty often, but let's say this is the only one I'm making.

I'm looking for a (first) car to buy, which I'm gonna need for university. Basically, here's my criteria:

-I'm gonna drive at least 30 mins in each direction, so fuel economy should be decent--but quality/reliability is more important
-Comfort isn't too important, but it should still be ok for longer trips
-It has to seat 5 (maybe 4 if it's a good car), can be 2 or 4 door--also, I'm about 6 foot, so headroom is good
-I plan on keeping it for a while, so it shouldn't have too many miles (I'm thinking no more than 100,000 miles)
-Can't really decide between AWD/FWD/RWD--if anyone wants to help me out with that
-I can't spend more than $8,000--maybe $10,000 if it'll get me a lot of girls
-convertibles are nice, but only if it fits the other stuff

Some cars off the top of my head are:
2000-2002 Lincoln LS
Mid-late 90's Chevrolet Camaro (V6) (T-Tops anyone?)
Late 90's/Early 2000's Toyota Celica
2000's Acura Integra
Mid 90's Nissan 240SX/300ZX
Mid-late 90's Mitsubishi Eclipse
Earlier model Acura RSX

Something along those lines.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:11 AM   #2
giant016
My mom says I'm cool
 
giant016's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Western Mass.
Posts: 1,274
I'd steer clear of V6 F-bodies. The V8s aren't that much more (plenty of LS1s for under 10K, LT1s for under 5) and gas MPG is barely any better. Insurance will sting though. If you don't want to pay to play (V8), don't bother with the 6 banger. The engine is really the only strong point in these cars IMHO, stick it with the 6 cylinder it's slow, bad in the snow, still pricey for gas/insurance, and theres no V8 to drown out the squeeks and rattles. I guess it would be a good car for kids who want some flash but can't handle a V8 yet...but still.

The Integras and Celicas are zippy cars, look good, and have no major mechanical problems that I know of. Another thing to think of is ROAD TRIPS! Sorry, theres just a certain way of saying it in my head that's best expressed in caps. Anyways, either find a friend with something that has lots of room, or be that guy pimpin the Aerostar. I say get a van and a bike. Cargo when you need it, awesome MPG when you don't. If the majority of your driving is without a passenger and just a book bag, a bike should be a thought.
__________________
Submitted for the approval of the Midnight Society

giant016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
I dont know how much an Acura 1.7EL is in canada, but its basically my car with a much more agressive look and more luxury crap in it..I actually saw one in the US with Quebec plates on it, looked so damn mean!



newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:01 PM   #4
PontiacFan27
CF Extraordinaire
 
PontiacFan27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Grove City, PA
Posts: 1,332
For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.
__________________
PontiacFan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.

I've heard to stay away from Bimmers unless you just really want one and can do all your own work. BMW owners themselves that I know IRL have told me this, not just random Internet people.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I've heard to stay away from Bimmers unless you just really want one and can do all your own work. BMW owners themselves that I know IRL have told me this, not just random Internet people.

Owners...enthusiasts...huge difference in care of their cars whatever they may be.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM   #7
jedimario
Mr. Hot Wheels
 
jedimario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Clemson University
Posts: 2,149
I think the point was that they tend to fall apart and/or are expensive when they do unless you can fix it yourself.
__________________


UNBAN WHAT
BAN BAV
jedimario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:46 PM   #8
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue
 
BavarianWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 3,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimario
I think the point was that they tend to fall apart and/or are expensive when they do unless you can fix it yourself.

They don't "fall apart" any more than any other car, but they can be slightly more expensive to fix. No quarrel there.
.
.
__________________

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #9
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by giant016
I'd steer clear of V6 F-bodies. The V8s aren't that much more (plenty of LS1s for under 10K, LT1s for under 5) and gas MPG is barely any better. Insurance will sting though. If you don't want to pay to play (V8), don't bother with the 6 banger. The engine is really the only strong point in these cars IMHO, stick it with the 6 cylinder it's slow, bad in the snow, still pricey for gas/insurance, and theres no V8 to drown out the squeeks and rattles. I guess it would be a good car for kids who want some flash but can't handle a V8 yet...but still.

The Integras and Celicas are zippy cars, look good, and have no major mechanical problems that I know of. Another thing to think of is ROAD TRIPS! Sorry, theres just a certain way of saying it in my head that's best expressed in caps. Anyways, either find a friend with something that has lots of room, or be that guy pimpin the Aerostar. I say get a van and a bike. Cargo when you need it, awesome MPG when you don't. If the majority of your driving is without a passenger and just a book bag, a bike should be a thought.
I've actually been thinking about getting a motorcycle, I'll look into that more seriously. No way my parents would let me have a V8 Camaro, and I have to listen to them because the car's probably gonna be insured under my dad's name (it's cheaper).
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
I dont know how much an Acura 1.7EL is in canada, but its basically my car with a much more agressive look and more luxury crap in it..I actually saw one in the US with Quebec plates on it, looked so damn mean!
The EL was only sold in Canada. I can't find too much info on it, but if I'll keep an eye out for one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacFan27
For 10k you could get a Porsche 944 (maybe even a turbo model), as far as the girls go.

For more practical purposes, check out mid 90s BMW 3 series.
A Porsche would be sweet but with repairs and everything, I don't think I'd be able to afford it. I like BMWs, but basically what Mario said. I guess girls are priority #2 lol.

Thanks for everyone's help so far .
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM   #10
Spanky2324
JDM LOL
 
Spanky2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Sob, CA
Posts: 1,108
You already know my answer I'll be honest with you though the mid and late 90's Eclipse are gonna seat 2 people only. Unless you put the girls in the back or have really tiny friends thye'll be uncomfortable. You should be fine sitting in the driver seat but headroom sucks for the most part. Eclipse is a clean car. Girls love em but I don't think it's what your looking for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Civic (Performance?) Numbers from the fastest of the slow...Si

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Chris...the EL was sold in Canada...you live in...Canada

Im just saying there was one in my area with Quebec licence plates on it, not that they sell them here
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:13 AM   #12
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Chris...the EL was sold in Canada...you live in...Canada

Im just saying there was one in my area with Quebec licence plates on it, not that they sell them here
Sometimes you gotta spell those things out lol. I just checked some car sale sites, and found a couple. If I can find a good price, I'll go for it. I'm looking a lot in Michigan, though, because with the dollars pretty much at par, I can save like 20% on Canadian prices. But that is a cool car. I'm in love with that interior.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:44 AM   #13
solarrr
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Sometimes you gotta spell those things out lol. I just checked some car sale sites, and found a couple. If I can find a good price, I'll go for it. I'm looking a lot in Michigan, though, because with the dollars pretty much at par, I can save like 20% on Canadian prices. But that is a cool car. I'm in love with that interior.

let me say this, even though all those cars are well below me, (I have numerous cars upwards of 100k) I will suggest you to a '95 NSX Acura. IF you need any help please PM ME and I WILL assist you in your purchase...
solarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 03:59 AM   #14
chris_knows
๑۩۞
 
chris_knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada Status:Trying to find my ish
Posts: 7,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrr
let me say this, even though all those cars are well below me, (I have numerous cars upwards of 100k) I will suggest you to a '95 NSX Acura. IF you need any help please PM ME and I WILL assist you in your purchase...
Which part did you miss? Was it the Max of $10,000? That I wanted something suitable for city/everyday driving? Something that got reasonable fuel economy? That I needed something that fits at least 4 people?

If you have the dozens of cars that you talk about, post a pic. Better yet, send me one. Hell, I'll go to your house to pick it up.
__________________
chris_knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #15
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
Which part did you miss? Was it the Max of $10,000? That I wanted something suitable for city/everyday driving? Something that got reasonable fuel economy? That I needed something that fits at least 4 people?

If you have the dozens of cars that you talk about, post a pic. Better yet, send me one. Hell, I'll go to your house to pick it up.
Hes full of turd, why do you even pay attention?

On a serious note, did you find anything that caught your eye?

Ive got lots of cars at work that you might like, but after import taxes and such, it might not be worth it, and i dont know if you could drive it back and save some shipping fees (not that you cant, just dont know if you would be willing to)
newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.