Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 08:16 PM   #31
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik

"Something in our gut, or maybe in our heart... looking across the mountains and across the rivers, the intangible suddenly became very tangible. This is America at its best," said Jacoby.
sounds like a fine place to live and work.
Quote:

He said with the new facility, they expect to triple their sales in the United States.
Just a little curious as to where they got there numbers from, but it is a very interesting concept. Is it because of an ability to cut costs, or is it also a marketing gimick?

Quote:
"I'm happy for our citizens, our children and our grandchildren," said Sen. Corker. "But there is no one that I am happier for today than Claude Ramsey. I'm so glad this happened under his watch."

Senator Lamar Alexander said that with today's announcement, he expects Tennessee to become the number one state in the nation for automotive jobs

Congressman Wamp said that for each of the 2,000 jobs created at the Volkswagen plant, we should expect an additional seven "support jobs."

"That's 14,000 jobs," he said. ""It was just a matter of time before a major auto manufacturer decided to locate at Enterprise South - and our time has arrived."
I wonder how long it is before you actualy see these jobs. how long before the plant is up and running. Sure, there will be a few construction jobs right away, and some "support jobs," but with the dollar as weak as it is right now, are locals going to be hurting for the next 5 years before they see a return on their "investment". Whose pocket is that $1.25 million grant comming from, and what is going to pay for the accompanying expansion of government. Not to be a pessimist, but I just looked at my paycheck the other day and realized that more than 20% of it was eaten before I even got it. I would not be too happy to find that it was given to VW to build a new plant.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:09 AM   #32
97Talonchik
discombobulated

This area is beautiful. I would die without the mountains to look at.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:26 AM   #33
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

The $1.25 million was committed by the State of Tennessee back toward the end of June - the investment is expenditure of our state tax dollars. I don't know what tax breaks were given by the City and County on top of the State.

This $1,25 million will offset some infrastructure work which needs to be done before building a car plant.
Mercedes did a good job with some of their investments in and around Tuscaloosa AL (I noticed when going with my daughter to University of Alabama for orientation last month)

Plant is supposed to be operational around 2011

People consider this an investment since other spending will generate enough tax dollars to more than offset the investment.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #34
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
This area is beautiful. I would die without the mountains to look at.

I grew up outside of Knoxville over in Blount County between Wildwood and Walland. I enjoyed mountains. Before being transferred to Chattanooga, I lived between Johnson City and Kingsport TN and really enjoyed the mountains in that area and in the surrounding Virginia and North Carolina areas.

Your pics from Mount Hood last year made me miss Upper East TN

I'll miss visits to Western North Carolina after moving my oldest daughter and her husband (the one a couple of yrs younger than 97Talonchik) to Tuscaloosa next week - yes both daughters will be in Tuscaloosa studying various programs @ University of Alabama. Tough on a University of Tennessee Alum
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #35
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaxleyjr
The $1.25 million was committed by the State of Tennessee back toward the end of June - the investment is expenditure of our state tax dollars. I don't know what tax breaks were given by the City and County on top of the State.

This $1,25 million will offset some infrastructure work which needs to be done before building a car plant.
Mercedes did a good job with some of their investments in and around Tuscaloosa AL (I noticed when going with my daughter to University of Alabama for orientation last month)

Plant is supposed to be operational around 2011

People consider this an investment since other spending will generate enough tax dollars to more than offset the investment.
So it was a state thing, which I guess is reasonable as most of the state will see the benefits of the plant. Somehow I assumed it was federal money.
I guess I just have a problem with government giving away money, but I assume there was some form of ballot or something before they agreed to spend the money.
2011 is quite quick compared to some of the stuff that has dragging on around here, but I guess the sooner it is done the sooner they turn a profit so there is more of a push to get it done.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 AM   #36
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Yes, the site is pretty much ready. At the moment, they are working on permits from the EPA to re-route some small streams that run through the area and also clearing out some trees. VW wanted a clear view of the plant from the street. Other than that, they already have the interstate private exit built (the city did that after losing the Toyota plant for that reason). They also already have railways running through the site (which was another requirement of VW).

Further, they mentioned the possibility of putting a smaller facility in the Huntsville area and running a railway between the two. I guess we'll see what happens here in the next few years, but this could be good news for that area.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote