Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 AM   #1
Neongenesis
CF Newbie

Unhappy '97 Lumina trans?

ok here goes nothig, i have searched for this issue and could not find what i was looking for so i appoligize if this is a repeat post.

i have a 1997 Chevy lumina, 3.1l v6 204k miles. recently i stoped for some gas and when i got back into the car it would not leave park, if feels as if it is leaving and the motor switchs like it is going to move but nothing happens. after towing it back to my place and messing with it a little i have found that it was slightly low on transmission fluid, and that if i put the gear shifter into nuetral and rock the car back and forth it wil shake and then go into gear and can be put into reverse and drive. if i put it back into park i have to start the process over again.

please let me know if this is a common problem and what the fix might be. if you need more information please feel free to ask.
Neongenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
catinthehat
CF Newbie

Sounds like the torque converter is going out. I am in the process of replacing mine. I am pretty sure that is the issue though. The part runs around 150-185 depending on what brand you by.
catinthehat is offline   Reply With Quote