Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
GSX vs Mustang GT

I will soon be purchasing a 2nd gen mitsubishi GSX once i can find a 5 spd in good condition and bone stock. My friend owns a manual 2000 mustang gt with the 4.6 engine and an intake putting it at 280 hp is what he tells me. My question is can a 2nd gen GSX with a turbo upgrade and intake compete with this gt?
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
If you can drive it, yes

Are you buying a car just to compete with him?
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:29 AM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL
 
Spanky2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Sob, CA
Posts: 1,108
It's not about having just a turbo upgrade but also having the supporting mods to bring the power out of the turbo. Just throwing a 50 trim and an intake into the car isn't gonna work. If you do everything correctly and have the budget to do it with you'll be able to compete against more then your friends slow mustang.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Civic (Performance?) Numbers from the fastest of the slow...Si

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #4
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
Alright thanks for the advice. What would you say would be the best setup to increase the performance of the car and still make it suitable for a daily driver? Im 16 so this will only be my second car and in reply to the first question no im not buying it to compete with him. I decided on this car when i was looking for a more practical car than my camaro. I wanted something capable of being high performance, able to handle the weather conditions in my area as well as terrain, and still give me good gas milage. And the gsx fit what I was looking for perfectly.
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Spanky2324
JDM LOL
 
Spanky2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Sob, CA
Posts: 1,108
I wouldn't go into saying the GSX is the most practical car.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Civic (Performance?) Numbers from the fastest of the slow...Si

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 02:34 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Yea if you want something reliable buy an older Subaru...
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
Okay im getting the gsx because its awd and it snows where i live in the winter and the roads go over hills and turns. Im also getting it because it gets over 20 mpg which is fine with me. But the key point is because I love how they look and I dont like the look of the subaru.
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
And yes I understand that subarus have AWD too but like I said I want this car, its the one i like, and its the one I want to work on. But thank you both for the advice.
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Spanky2324
JDM LOL
 
Spanky2324's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: El Sob, CA
Posts: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPerkins
Okay im getting the gsx because its awd and it snows where i live in the winter and the roads go over hills and turns. Im also getting it because it gets over 20 mpg which is fine with me. But the key point is because I love how they look and I dont like the look of the subaru.

AWD is not going to save your life. Just because you have awd doesn't mean shit. You sound like the cocky kid I seen in a Subaru on the freeway. It was raining hard and he was swerving in and out of traffic till one time he almost spun out and hit the wall while swerving into the lane.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by What
Civic (Performance?) Numbers from the fastest of the slow...Si

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:59 AM   #10
DARKtEAGLE
CF Addict
 
DARKtEAGLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: williamsport,PA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky2324
AWD is not going to save your life. Just because you have awd doesn't mean shit. You sound like the cocky kid I seen in a Subaru on the freeway. It was raining hard and he was swerving in and out of traffic till one time he almost spun out and hit the wall while swerving into the lane.
I couldn't agree more.
__________________



92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature
DARKtEAGLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
Quote:
AWD is not going to save your life. Just because you have awd doesn't mean shit. You sound like the cocky kid I seen in a Subaru on the freeway. It was raining hard and he was swerving in and out of traffic till one time he almost spun out and hit the wall while swerving into the lane.

Well that sucks to be him. Its a good thing I don't drive like that because Im not interested in trying to prove something about myself through the use of a vehicle to compensate for personal shortcomings. If I were to drive fast it would be on a track and for fun not to make up for my insecurities. I want the car because I needed an alternative to the camaro for winter weather. Thank you once again for the advice though.
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
DBain
CF Enthusiast
 
DBain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boonies of NH
Posts: 195
If you've got a million dollars go for an audi a4. My brother has a '97 for his winter car and he loves it. Although it just cost him $650 in labor alone for a clutch, he still thinks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
And as far as winter driving is concerned. Good tires make the ride. RWD FWD AWD, none mean shit unless you've got good rubber.
__________________
2000 Acura Integra LS
B18B1 1.8L 4cyl
2dr Coupe

1987 Chevy Scotsdale
350CI TBI 4sp Auto 2WD
2dr Std Cab Short Bed
DBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:21 PM   #13
newyorker
MXman
 
newyorker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Philly
Posts: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPerkins
Well that sucks to be him. Its a good thing I don't drive like that because Im not interested in trying to prove something about myself through the use of a vehicle to compensate for personal shortcomings. If I were to drive fast it would be on a track and for fun not to make up for my insecurities. I want the car because I needed an alternative to the camaro for winter weather. Thank you once again for the advice though.
That doesn't make sense compared to your first post asking about competing with a mustang.
__________________
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:59 PM   #14
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
It does make sense because if youll look at that post you will see that I said it would be "on the track". Not swerving in and out of traffic on the highway. And it would be for the fun of competition, not to prove how "fast and furious" I am like some vin diesel wannabe's......
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
EPerkins
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 21
Oh sorry. I just looked at my original post and saw that I forgot to put "on the track" I've posted this question in another forum and I included that fact. But yes, If I am to race this mustang or any other car, it will be on the track legally. 1. because street racing is dangerous to others and could kill innocent people. 2. because street racing is illegal. 3. because racing someone on the track is as accurate as you can get to finding your car's performance combined with your own skill. I see a lot of people who get a good highway "kill" when the other person wasn't even racing. When you race on the track, you know its legit.
EPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.