Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 AM   #1
cowman85
CF Newbie

Question 98 malibu 3.1L v6

I have a couple of issues with my malibu:

1) the first 2 fan settings do not work at all,

2) the fresh air button stays on and will not switch to the recirculate,

3) a/c button doesnt always work

I have read that you need to clean and re-graphite the contact points within the relay underneath the glove box, havn't done it but i wanted to see if anyone has or has another solution.

4) the other problem i have with this car is the lack of running power, the lights and stuff dim when hitting the brake, defrost, fan, etc. I havnt checked the test points for the alternator because i forget where they are but i do know the battery is top of the line.

5) the 3 vacuum lines on the drivers side of the engine have snapped in the lovely -38 weather recently, i did my best to tarp off the wind and tape them back together but you know what heat & cold does with tape.
the PCV valve tube is one of them, the other 2 are very close together right around the pcv line, one is white and connects to the front of the block and the other is black and is tied into a massive harness on the rear drivers side of the engine, these 2 are very small (1/4 inch or under in diameter)
the white one i have replaced by jimmy rigging from another car but on the other car this line was attached to the top of engine(the piece stamped 3100 v6) on the passengers side, on my malibu that spout had a plug on it, i didnt think much of it and put it together the way the other engine was, didnt seem to make a difference aside from running better.
The engine i was taking these lins out of was a 3.1L v6 from a lumina from the mid 90's.

partsource recommended the dealer for the parts becuase i cant find anyone who has these 3 lines, unfortunately if GM thought of quality not quantity maybe they would be aluminum and this would NEVER HAPPEN cheap bastards, instead they go with hard plastic

If anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated!

cheer,

Mr C
Old 03-08-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
lennyb06776
CF Newbie

i have a 2002 and i think its your heater control going bad because does the same and a mechanic told me it was going bad ,does your signallights work all the time?
lennyb06776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
cowman85
CF Newbie

my signal lights always work, never had a problem, the only unknowns are:
-the abs light once in a while,
-the airbag light once in a while,
-the air path control switch(def/floor etc) wasnt working for a few days(1 time only),
-fresh air/ cabin air switch never works,
-every once in a while we smell burning plastic so i shut everything off and its fine.
I did here that the graphite points on this panel have a tendency to wear out, you just take it out clean the points and apply new graphite.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

sounds like a relay issue. clean the points, see if it helps. If not, replace it. Shouldn't be too expensive. 15 bucks tops.

Your vacuum lines should be fine with parts from another car. Check your local yards and see if you can snag them. However, do your best to try and get the same year and model 3100. They changed them up for different cars. I don't know why the hell they did it, Just know they did. Probably something about the amount of room or some BS like that.

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM   #5
faing
Banned

98 malibu 3 1L v6

Max, just saw some aftermerket wheels Wheel Vintiques that should fit your Malibu. Check out the wheels for the HHR. They are 110 mm bolt pattern and should fit your Malibu. But check and be sure on the sizes as Im not infallible. Its a nice place to look too.
faing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 AM   #6
cowman85
CF Newbie

[quote=Satty101]sounds like a relay issue. clean the points, see if it helps. If not, replace it. Shouldn't be too expensive. 15 bucks tops.

Your vacuum lines should be fine with parts from another car. Check your local yards and see if you can snag them. However, do your best to try and get the same year and model 3100. They changed them up for different cars. I don't know why the hell they did it, Just know they did. Probably something about the amount of room or some BS like that.[/QUOTE

the relay your talking about is near the glove box under the dash right? i havent cleaned it yet but that would explain the heater problem.

as for the vacuum lines, i found a 3.1 malibu and replaced the lines that were broken, i still have to spray around with wd 40 to see if there are still leaks to be 100%.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #7
cowman85
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by faing
Max, just saw some aftermerket wheels Wheel Vintiques that should fit your Malibu. Check out the wheels for the HHR. They are 110 mm bolt pattern and should fit your Malibu. But check and be sure on the sizes as Im not infallible. Its a nice place to look too.

Your talking about the 97 - 2005 year right?