Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 02:52 AM   #16
karburator
CF Spain HQ

...and almost 4 years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfagiggi
what engine is under this hood this is neither a hf turbo nor an integrale right?!

Sorry for the lag
Right. It wasn't a hf turbo or an integrale but just a 1.8 DOHC 8 valves (yap, DOHC but only 8v) with 105 bhp in it. Not explosive at all.

I'm affraid this car does not exist anymore. I hope it has become a more styled car (perhaps a Ferrari or so... :P )
In the summer of 2007 failures became too frequent, so I decided to get rid of it. No way to sell it; it was an old high fuel consumption italian car, and mixing those concepts (specially old and italian) medi it almost impossible to re-sell.

Now I have a 2008 Seat Leon with DSG trans. Due to the distance I cover everyday to get to my job (about 80 miles go&return) I chose a boooooooring TDI diesel engine that -honestly- works very well.

See ya...

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
karburator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 06:52 PM   #17
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by karburator
Sorry for the lag
Right. It wasn't a hf turbo or an integrale but just a 1.8 DOHC 8 valves (yap, DOHC but only 8v) with 105 bhp in it. Not explosive at all.

I'm affraid this car does not exist anymore. I hope it has become a more styled car (perhaps a Ferrari or so... :P )
In the summer of 2007 failures became too frequent, so I decided to get rid of it. No way to sell it; it was an old high fuel consumption italian car, and mixing those concepts (specially old and italian) medi it almost impossible to re-sell.

Now I have a 2008 Seat Leon with DSG trans. Due to the distance I cover everyday to get to my job (about 80 miles go&return) I chose a boooooooring TDI diesel engine that -honestly- works very well.

See ya...
Nothing wrong with a TDI!

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #18
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Nothing wrong with a TDI!

Right, but I get more fun driving my mother-in-law's 1.6 Alfa 147

What I really like of my car is that DSG transmission. Man, driving it through a mountain road is awesome despite that it's only the 105 bhp version.

It cannot be so difficult. The instruction manual will tell me which pedal is the 'velocitator' and which one is the... 'deceleratrix' (by Mr. C.M. Burns)
May God bless those who have nothing to say and, furthermore, they keep quiet (by someone)
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

I have NO IDEA what you guys are talking about...haha. Guess I'm just an arrogant yank eh?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #20
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
I have NO IDEA what you guys are talking about...haha. Guess I'm just an arrogant yank eh?
Arrogant..Or ignorant?

You know what a TDI is, right? Even you guys get them in your VWs...

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 01:56 AM   #21
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy
Arrogant..Or ignorant?

You know what a TDI is, right? Even you guys get them in your VWs...

Turbo Diesel something. Injection?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #22
karburator
CF Spain HQ

For people at the Americas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Turbo Diesel something. Injection?

Every diesel engine is an injection engine, so putting 'diesel' and 'injection' together is redundant.

The TDI abbreviation was originally used for turbo diesel engines with intercooler, but when it's reffered to VW engines, it means Turbo Diesel Direct Injection, which means the injector is placed next to the cylinder. If I'm not wrong, this provides better fuel efficiency due to a better fuel dispersion inside the cylinder.

Sure there's someone at CF that could give a better explanation.

Other brands use different abbreviations for this kind of engines:

Mercedes, Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge > CRD (yap, yank cars in Europe are also sold with VW or DetroitDiesel diesel engines -except Caddys, which use Fiat's); Hyundai, Kia > CRDi (and also VGT); BMW > d; Peugeot, CitroŽn > HDI; Fiat, Alfa Romeo, Lancia > JTD; Opel/Vauxhall > DTI and CDTI; Renault > dTi and dCi; VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat > TDI; SAAB > TiD; etc...

Old 01-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #23
chris_knows
๑۩۞

I thought all diesels were direct injected because diesel needs a higher pressure to combust?
I remember having a discussion about what it means on here but don't remember the final answer..
Old 01-19-2009, 06:33 PM   #24
karburator
CF Spain HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_knows
I thought all diesels were direct injected because diesel needs a higher pressure to combust?

Google has all the answers... When not, ask wikipedia:
For indirect injection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_injection
For direct injection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_in...rect_injection

For what I know, direct injection in diesel engines was first introduced by Fiat with the Fiat Croma 1.9 TD i.d. (abbreviation for iniezione diretta), but the commercial success arrived with VW's TDI.

Now, several improvements have been made to direct injection systems to get higher injection pressure (which results in a better combustion), such as common-rail or pump-injectors used by TDI -although I heard something about VW leaving pump-injectors to use common-rail.

Last edited by karburator : 01-19-2009 at 06:36 PM.