Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disturbeddragon
I also have a two more questions to ask to those who look at this post, first one being,
Exactly what would I need to do in order to get my mustang raised and how much would that roughly estimate?
and second,
Does anyone know where to buy any good fiberglass body kits or some other material body kits that aren't the crappy carbon fiber stuff?
Thanks in advance, I'm just getting tired of the carbon fiber stuff on it being broken all the time and don't want to get carbon fiber simply for that fact of it very easily broken/cracked. I'll try uploading some of my pics of my car when I get the film developed. Well thanks to anyone for their help if they can help me out any. n_n
1. Why would you raise your car? Please don't tell me you are trying to fit 24s on there.
2. You want to get Fiberglass vs. CF for strength?! HAHA, you humor me. Fiberglass will break at the hint of a slight breeze, CF is very strong, if you want something that can take a beating there is polyurethane and something called duraflex. And why would you kit a v6 mustang anyway?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #2
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

Cool 2001 Ford Mustang

Hi, I've had a few issues with my car since I got it and want to fix it, but don't really want to go through the whole spending a lot of money taking it somewhere and having no transportation. One of the main issues is that when my car has just been through an automatic car wash, it starts shaking heavily and then acts as if it were about to stall or just die on me. Then as I accelerate out from the car wash onto the highway, it stutters and doesn't accelerate all that well, also my check engine light(which has been on since I got the car) starts flashing. The only reason why my light even stays on is for the fact that I think I have a exhaust leak somewhere but the repairmen say they fixed it by wielding some of my exhaust lines together. Also I'm not sure exactly how to change transmission fluid, but that will be fixed in the next two months when I go to get my EGR valve replaced because it is badly rusted on the outside. I know its bound to be completely bad and my sensor for the EGR may also be bad.

I'm not asking for much, but if anyone knows why or has any reasonable explanations as to why my car does that, the help would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 2001 V-6 Ford Mustang, and does have a K&N Air Filter installed. I'm not sure if it has been modded out anymore than that simply for the fact that I bought it like that. It ran fine for the first year, then slowly started showing signs of problems. Just recently in the year changed out the battery, negative battery terminal that connects the wires to the battery, and spark plugs. It has a routine 3-month based oil change schedule that I've been doing. The mileage on it is 114,995 at the moment, so I don't know if that may also have something to do with it.

I also have a two more questions to ask to those who look at this post, first one being,
Exactly what would I need to do in order to get my mustang raised and how much would that roughly estimate?
and second,
Does anyone know where to buy any good fiberglass body kits or some other material body kits that aren't the crappy carbon fiber stuff?
Thanks in advance, I'm just getting tired of the carbon fiber stuff on it being broken all the time and don't want to get carbon fiber simply for that fact of it very easily broken/cracked. I'll try uploading some of my pics of my car when I get the film developed. Well thanks to anyone for their help if they can help me out any. n_n
Old 02-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #3
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Wow, that is a lot of questions.......

The car wash problem sounds like you are getting water somewhere it souldn't. Possibably in the air intake. You say it has a K&N filter, does it also have a cold air intake of some sort, if done incorrectly these can fill with water.

Many things can make the check engine light come on. Do you know what codes are showing?

why do you want to raise the car? How much do you want to raise it?

Carbon fiber is not a crappy material for a body kit. NewYorker gives good info on the kits.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
Satty101
CF's L body Freak

Wait, how the hell did NYer end up with the first post?

1999 Chevrolet Camaro SS (PC'd)
1994 Chevrolet Beretta Z26 Q4 (W41 M90'd)
2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 (4WD)

My wife's cars:

1971 Dodge Charger SE (stock and original 383 auto)
2004 Subaru Impreza WRX (kid-hauler)
Satty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satty101
Wait, how the hell did NYer end up with the first post?
Cause I'm the ****in man and everyone should know it!
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
Cause I'm the ****in man and everyone should know it!

only in your mind.... but we go along with it to keep you happy! JK
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 AM   #7
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker
1. Why would you raise your car? Please don't tell me you are trying to fit 24s on there.
2. You want to get Fiberglass vs. CF for strength?! HAHA, you humor me. Fiberglass will break at the hint of a slight breeze, CF is very strong, if you want something that can take a beating there is polyurethane and something called duraflex. And why would you kit a v6 mustang anyway?

Eh, not really going for the 24s. Just tired of my car dragging everywhere I go and especially when I try to change my oil I have to remove the front bumper that was put on it just to get it up on the rhino ramps that we use for repairing our vehicles. I mean I just want to get it raised about 6 or so inches more. Not like most people I've seen around here in Florida with their cars so high up you need a small stool or similar to get into them.

Yeah, I just want something better than CF simply for the fact that the body kit on my car is breaking and falling apart so easily. I looked up the strength of polyurethane but haven't checked on duraflex yet, but I'm willing to give one of those a try. Eh, the car was already kitted out, but I'm not putting it back to the same style. I'm thinking about just finding something more relaxed and doesn't look like a racing car type. You wouldn't believe how many people pull up beside me and rev their engines and try to get me to race them. Really is starting to annoy me. The only reason I actually got the car was so I'd have something to drive to college when I start.

I also have my suspicions that the car may have actually just been used for car shows and such, but not actual racing. It had also been kitted out with blue neon lights which I can't get a straight answer from the F.D.O.T. whether or not those are illegal or not. So I haven't really used those except for when I was trying to figure out where and what the box next to the driver seat went to, and that is how I found out it had those too. But other than that, I'm just trying to make my car look good and fix it up.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
Wow, that is a lot of questions.......

The car wash problem sounds like you are getting water somewhere it souldn't. Possibably in the air intake. You say it has a K&N filter, does it also have a cold air intake of some sort, if done incorrectly these can fill with water.

Many things can make the check engine light come on. Do you know what codes are showing?

why do you want to raise the car? How much do you want to raise it?

Carbon fiber is not a crappy material for a body kit. NewYorker gives good info on the kits.

Sorry about the mass of questions, hehe, guess I didn't realize I asked that much.

Anyways, yeah every time I take it through any car wash it does that and yes I do have a K&N air filter. But I didn't install it myself, it was already in the car when I bought it. The entire car was, I guess you can say, a work in progress but when something came up they just traded it in or something. I'm going to get a car fax on it once I get the money. Money hasn't been the greatest, especially with all the bills that we've got, but that is changing since the truck that me and my hubby has is now paid off.

I thought K&N air filters were only for cold air intakes? Either way, if I remember correctly the guy who works with my hubby said it does have a cold air intake but other than that he couldn't really tell what was actually wrong with it since he would have to check every single thing on the car thoroughly in order to find the solution. I just thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has maybe had the same problems that I'm having at the moment, so he doesn't have to check everything. It would be different if I trusted the guy, but I barely know him.

Yeah, I took it to Oreilly's and they checked the codes for me and told me that I had some spark plugs misfiring but those are taken care of and that I also had the EGR Valve code reading on the system, but I'll also soon have that fixed as we'll have more money to get stuff fixed up. And about raising my car, I just want to get it raised about 6 inches or so. That is to keep my car from dragging so much when I go anywhere that requires me to drive up something. I mean like I told NewYorker, I can't even change my oil without taking off the front bumper. And I'm definitely taking NewYorker's advice about the polyurethane or duraflex kits, the only reason I say CF is crappy, is truthfully for the fact the kit is CF on my car and it is falling apart horribly.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:31 AM   #9
corbett_auto
CF Addict

The body kit you have now is most likely fiberglass. You want to raise the car 6", that is alot.... why not just remove the body kit? if you want to be able to get under it.

Also, i wonder if the car was lowered? you might just need to bring it back to stock ride height. If so you need to find out how it was lowered and then reverse the process.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 AM   #10
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

Nope, I know it isn't fiberglass. On the inside of the hood it even says that it is Carbon Fiberware. I do believe my car was lowered before I got it. My hubby even has trouble getting out cause he is taller than me. It is just more of a hassle trying to remove the kit for me, rather than just getting it raised up and having more room under it to move around. Here are some pics of the car too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang1.jpg (6.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang2.jpg (4.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang3.jpg (6.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang4.jpg (6.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Mustang5.jpg (3.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 02-04-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Quote:
I thought K&N air filters were only for cold air intakes?

A K&N filter is just a brand name of filter.... but K&N also makes a cold air intake. Try removing the cold air intake and see if that helps.

Quote:
also had the EGR Valve code

this doesn't necessarily mean the egr valve is bad. Could be something else setting this code. Also many times the egr valve can be cleaned and will work properly.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #12
corbett_auto
CF Addict

hard to tell with the small pictures, but it doesn't look lowered.

The easiest way I see to get you more clearance would be to just install a stock front bumper. If you find a good used one in white it would be a simple swap. That would be much easier than raising it 6".
Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 AM   #13
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

I'm not very auto literate just yet, I mean I will be as soon as I start college hopefully sometime this coming fall. I know a little bit, but just enough to get me by. I'm going to have to figure out the whole cold air intake but it shouldn't be too hard to do. Both me and my hubby are both quick learners.

Well I'm not too sure its that easy for me to clean my EGR for the fact that we've already tried once to get it unstuck from the engine so we could clean it before. It is pretty rusted up around the area that should come off, and we've even tried to use the PCB stuff or at least I think that is what it is called. All I know is that it is in a black looking spray can and has a yellow cap to it and is supposed to be the best stuff to get to relieve rusted parts and such.

If its left alone for too long, is there any possibility of the sensor maybe going bad? I was told that it wasn't or that it shouldn't so long as I'm not letting it go for more than a year or longer.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
corbett_auto
CF Addict

the cold air intake should be easy to remove... just look for parts that do not look like they came on it from the factory.

Claening the egr is not really hard, but if you have never done anything like this before you could make the problems worse. Basically all you have to do is remove the 2 or 3 bolts that hold it to the engine and clean the carbon off of the plunger. then use a vacuum pump to see if it works properly. the problem that may come up is if the break off the bolts trying to remove it... you will need help to fix it.

You are on the right path...... the product you used I assume is PB blaster (good stuff). just remember to be careful not to break the bolts.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Disturbeddragon
CF Newbie

Yeah, we read up on how to remove and clean it. Just the fact that we couldn't get it off is the main problem right now. Pardon me if I seem to be asking a lot, like I said I'm still new sort of to it all, but the plunger is located inside the housing, am I right? So that would mean that we do need to remove the EGR valve from the pipe it is connected to, correct? Cause that is where our problem of cleaning it gets to, we have tried to remove it so that we could clean it, but since it is so badly rusted we can't get it to move.

And yeah, we've using PB to get it loose, but as usual it is just being stubborn to get off the car. I really do appreciate the help that you're giving me. Thanks. n_n