Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 AM   #76
wildestkabs
CF Newbie

It is official now - my mechanic is an idiot.

So he changed the distributor and later the catalytic converter and claimed that the vehicle was driving "great". He also claimed that he had driven the vehicle for around 100 miles with absolutely no problems. Well, when I get into the car to begin my drive back home, this is what happens.

First of all the electrical jerking issue is still there, so I am thinking that this thing will definitely stall again. I drove it for around 40 miles myself but it did not happen. Then the a/c seems to have gotten all screwed up. Sometimes it will throw cool air but most of the time it won't.

Here is the biggest problem - THE CAR HAS NO POWER!!

It is extremely sluggish. The way it is driving is this. Imagine someone driving the car with a passenger sitting next to the driver. Now imagine the driver trying to accelerate the car by pushing the gas pedal and the moment the driver does it, imagine the passenger pulling up the hand brake. Got it? The car is going to try to move forward but it won't and the rpm will keep moving up and down. It gets all the more screwed up when it is moving uphill. I was lucky that the distance I had to climb uphill was not very much because the speed kept dropping as the car would not pick up speed or power even when I tried to floor the pedal.

Also, I keep hearing these 3 types of strange noises from within the cabin. Sounds like:

1) Someone whistling.
2) When you open up a bottle of Pepsi after you have shaken it up a bit.
3) Sound of an aeroplane taking off.

But it is more of the power loss issue which is the problem. I will take it to the mechanic for the last time tomorrow, ask him to fix it and then start looking for a new one.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?
wildestkabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:06 PM   #77
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildestkabs
It is official now - my mechanic is an idiot.
See post #36, third paragraph, second to last sentence of this thread. No kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildestkabs
So he changed the distributor and later the catalytic converter and claimed that the vehicle was driving "great". He also claimed that he had driven the vehicle for around 100 miles with absolutely no problems. Well, when I get into the car to begin my drive back home, this is what happens.

First of all the electrical jerking issue is still there, so I am thinking that this thing will definitely stall again. I drove it for around 40 miles myself but it did not happen. Then the a/c seems to have gotten all screwed up. Sometimes it will throw cool air but most of the time it won't.

Here is the biggest problem - THE CAR HAS NO POWER!!

It is extremely sluggish. The way it is driving is this. Imagine someone driving the car with a passenger sitting next to the driver. Now imagine the driver trying to accelerate the car by pushing the gas pedal and the moment the driver does it, imagine the passenger pulling up the hand brake. Got it? The car is going to try to move forward but it won't and the rpm will keep moving up and down. It gets all the more screwed up when it is moving uphill. I was lucky that the distance I had to climb uphill was not very much because the speed kept dropping as the car would not pick up speed or power even when I tried to floor the pedal.

Also, I keep hearing these 3 types of strange noises from within the cabin. Sounds like:

1) Someone whistling.
2) When you open up a bottle of Pepsi after you have shaken it up a bit.
3) Sound of an aeroplane taking off.

But it is more of the power loss issue which is the problem. I will take it to the mechanic for the last time tomorrow, ask him to fix it and then start looking for a new one.

Anyone have any idea whats going on here?
We have now irrefutably gotten to the point that we're throwing parts at a problem... And no doubt costing you a pile of cash at the same time. Iím not even going to try to figure out the A/C problem at this point and will mostly ignore the new funny sounds. Letís just talk drivability.

As I recall, this is the second distributor assembly that has been installed in the car in the last two weeks. Were they both remanufactured or is he using used stuff? Maybe he should try a third. Three times a charm. And why did he replace the cat? What was he hoping to repair by doing this? A clogged cat can and will indeed cause a car to stall, but it will gradually lose power before shutting off and it can be diagnosed by simply removing the oxygen sensor.

At any rate, you still havenít shared with us any DTCs that were retrieved previously or that may be present now. Or if youíre willing to keep spending money on what it probably is, you could just go ahead and replace the engine wiring harness right now. After a bad PCV valve causing oil to leak into the distributor and/or a bad distributor o-ring causing oil to leak into the distributor, thatís the next most likely cause of your dilemma. And itís usually cheaper than repairing the harness.

Thatís what you call pattern diagnostics, and I donít like to do it because you donít prove/disprove a fault until youíve replaced a part. It's just throwing parts at a car.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:59 PM   #78
Cliffy
CF Loafer

I have a gut feeling that the fault lies with a shorted knock sensor retarding the ignition, and maybe the TPS is not callibrated either?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48

Last edited by Cliffy : 08-24-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 PM   #79
JaneiR36
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
After a bad PCV valve causing oil to leak into the distributor and/or a bad distributor o-ring causing oil to leak into the distributor,

So, OP, what happened after you tried having this checked and fixed?

You obviously had $1000+ to spend on getting the car fixed. My own recommendation is to get a newer car. I know maintenance is key, but this is an OLD car. Another new problem may be just around the corner, and without a competent mechanic on site to help you out, you'll just wind up wasting more money. That push-button start on the new Altimas is really quite the something!
JaneiR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 AM   #80
96altima
CF Newbie

I have a 96 Altima and I'm having the exact same experience as you, same codes, wait to restart, etc.

I've replaced the knock sensor, distributor cap, spark plugs, and one connector to the distributor (which was loose). The distributor was only 2 years old, but it looks like the next step is to replace it anyways.

How did you do with your repairs? I'm hoping you have good news...
96altima is offline   Reply With Quote