Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
SuperTad
CF Newbie

i wanna buy a vw

anybody got any good suggestions as to a good [maybe online] vw seller?
anybody trying to sell a vw?

**money is limited, used is aok**

i'm lookin for either a kind of golf or tdi or somethin of the likes, you know, the cool kind of vw's

as you can tell i havn't given this a world of thought, which means i am still open for sugestions *hint*

thankyou all so very very much

"dey jus' don' get any betta dan dis..."

Last edited by SuperTad : 05-02-2004 at 08:46 PM. Reason: the smiley didnt work
SuperTad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #2
aRed
CF Newbie

I too am planning on buying a VW and I chose to go with the Jetta personally because the Passat is a bit too expensive for me (and a bit too large) and I hate station wagons/hatch back's...they just don't look cool to me, so that ruled out the Golf. Their just not my style personally.

Your style my be different than mine, however, but if I were you, I would go to cardomain.com and look at what people have done to their Jetta's. The most common year for those seems to be 1995 and 1996. I'm going with the 1996 when I buy. If you take a look and read some review's on the vehicle, you will find out that there are a ton of things you can do to/with that car. Just look at what others have done to it; the possibilities with that car are endless, or so it seems.

Going deeper into the Jetta class, you see that the three main classes of the vehicle are the GL, GLS, and the GLX, respectively. The GL is the most common one I see and is the most standard. It started at around $14,000 in 1996. The GLS is the next step of that gives you many more options on the vehicle, including power windows. The last is the GLX which is the GLS with more power...I think it's a 1.9 turbo diesel, but I really don't know. Beware though; at around 70,000 miles tons of things go wrong with the electronics, this is why I personally and going to go with the GL because everything the GLS has seems to go out, and since it's European, it costs an arm and a leg to repair since the warranty is almost certainly up. Also, leather is very uncommon in these cars, but is available. Many are manual's too. The size of the engine is a 2.0L 4Cyl. 8 valve.

I have learned more throughout my research of this vehicle, but I don't have the time to talk about everything I've learned about this car. But mind you, I don't even own a VW and haven't ever...but I plan to. So I don't have any actual experience with them, so I suggest you read reviews and go test drive them!

As for where to buy, look at carsoup.com and eBay, those are the only ones I can really recommend and know of. As for pricing the vehicle, I suggest kbb.com before you buy. However, kbb.com assumes the vehicle is in very good condition, which is not always the case (duh!).

lol Sorry for the length!
Have fun with it man,
Andrew
Old 05-02-2004, 09:21 PM   #3
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
anybody got any good suggestions as to a good [maybe online] vw seller?

How about Ebay Motors? They have auctioned over 1 million automobiles.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Get a GTI...good stuff dat...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
SuperTad
CF Newbie

thanks guys (especially andrew) (andrew do you work at google answers? everytime i read one of your posts it's like a book........kinda creepy.................... nevemind, thanks a hella)

"dey jus' don' get any betta dan dis..."
SuperTad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:29 AM   #6
aRed
CF Newbie

lol

lol naw dude...if just figure that if I'm going to help someone out, I may as well do it right.

but naw, just like everyone else here...I was typing up an essay for english all day basically and I was kind of in that type set I guess you could say...I dunno.

glad I could help though
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 AM   #7
Jason
CF Newbie

I've been on the lookout for a used car from the 1995-2000 area and I think I am going to end up going with a VW also. I like both the Jetta and the Golf, I have some real sweet GTI's out there but most have been a little to spendy for me. I only have about $6000 to spend on this. but I have just been looking in the local classifieds ads and there have been quite a few in there. I went out and looked at 4 this weekend. 3 jettas and a golf but I didn't find any winners. they seem to be real solid cars.

I'm the aRed on the GL model because in my opinion, especially with used cars, the more interior electronic gadgets you have the more that can break. and I don't mind manual locks, windows and seat adjustments at all. I' trying to find something nice with under 100,000 miles, I figure that way I can have a good chance at getting another 100,000 miles out of it if I take good care of the thing. happy hunting
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:40 PM   #8
vwmaniac
CF Addict

How about just buying an 85-91 Jetta or Golf? Those things can run FOREVER if maintained well. I've had a few of those in my life time and I can tell you, they're FANTASTIC cars!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #9
Cliffy
CF Loafer

All Volkswagens will run forever if maintained well. The diesel varients are even more reliable and you can have as much fun in a diesel Golf as you can a petrol version, especially sinse the release of the 'Golf GTI TDI'. You say that the money matters a great deal to you, what is your budget?

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 07:35 PM   #10
vwmaniac
CF Addict

GTI TDI????!!!! What? Really?
I haven't heard anyting about this! Can you give me some specs Cliffy?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:05 PM   #11
Cliffy
CF Loafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwmaniac
GTI TDI????!!!! What? Really?
I haven't heard anyting about this! Can you give me some specs Cliffy?
It might be a Europe only vehicle...infact, it probably is if you haven't heard of it, 0-62 in around 7.5 and about 135mph (estimated obviously) lol. note that here in the UK we use 0-62 because that translates to 100kp/h...Oh, and now for the really amazing thing...about 50mpg , that's about all I can think of at the top of my head, I'll update in a couple of days when I'm back at work and can use a PC all night lol ...BTW, It might not be GTI TDI but GTI TD or something like that, but it means the same lol

Please click here for the rules prior to posting, and here to introduce yourself!

Artwork courtesy of Gregg, aka Voda48
Cliffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 08:11 PM   #12
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Wow! That really is a surprise to me! I guess I'll have to check it out this summer when I go to Poland for 2 months.(as every year)
Old 05-07-2004, 07:35 PM   #13
cinqyg
CF Freak

global maintance

Well. Being a brit i dont always see eye to eye with the whole american atitude about auto box's and euro car maintaince.

before you have a go at them have you driven a euro manual? compare it to a manual for an american engine and its very diffrent, well i thought so any way.

What do you want from your car?

first question to ask.

How handy with a spanner are you?

Things go wrong with all cars, have you thought of importing used parts from the uk or europe, might save you stacks of cash if you need a ECU or another non wear item.

Why are you after a VW golf in particular?
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 02:44 AM   #14
nitehawk_87
CF Newbie

cuz golfs are schweeeet
specially the gti vr6
see if u can find one of them cheap
or check out the one i found
its in a separate thread

Sign at a gas station:
we collect taxes-federal, provincial, and municipal
we also sell gas on the side