Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2003, 04:10 AM   #1
theultimateflight

Z8 = Alpina Roadster V8?

I have a question for all you people here. I was looking through the BMW website, and I noticed that the Z8 section had been replaced with a car called the Alpina Roadster V8. Now after browsing through though the pics and all, the car looks exactly the same as the Z8 and I believe that some of the pics are the same. So is the Z8 the same thing as the Alpina Roadster V8, and if so why the hell did they change the name?

BTW, sorry if this is a really stupid question, as I'm not exactly the most up to date person when it comes to cars.

P.S. This was originally posted by me at www.carforums.com but then I realized that the last post was in 2001
Old 01-29-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
kilted_BMW_nut

The Z8 is no longer in production.

The Alpina Z8 is the 'last of the line' slightly modded limited edition version.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:38 AM   #3
ZWerks7

Alpina V8

The reason for the change is because the 4.9-liter used in the Z8 wouldn't have met emission standards in the states this year. so BMW comissioned Alpina (a long-time Bimmer tuner) to install a different engine ( a modified version of the X5's 4.6) and an automatic transmission. The automatic was previously unavailable.
Old 06-14-2003, 05:24 AM   #4
crash8168
CF Newbie

There is quite a bit of difference in the powertrain, the z8 had come with the same powertrain as the m5 no it has the M62 engine which has been modified for better performance. Also has an automatic trans available.
crash8168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 06:10 AM   #5
JDM Enthusiast
CF Newbie

I normally have great respect for Alpina, but the Alpina Roadster V8 is more of a poseurs car than the Z8. The engine is torquier but has less horsepower, it rides on twenty-inch Original Alpina Design wheels, and the suspension is softer.