Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Question Supra Vs 3000GT

Yeah this has to be a pretty damn good matchup. The Toyota Supra T Turbo vs the 3000GT VR-4. They both have twin turbos.Who would win either Stock Vs Stock or Modded vs Modded? Of course we're talking about where all cars fight on da 1/4 mile drag strip...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...

Last edited by DSMer : 06-12-2004 at 08:50 AM.
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:07 AM   #2
Inygknok
El del Supra

Supra XT? AWD Supra? wtf? i think u have had enough blue for one lifetime.

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 08:53 AM   #3
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inygknok
Supra XT? AWD Supra? wtf? i think u have had enough blue for one lifetime.
I meant TT(like twinturbo) and I did'nt mean to say both AWD. Gosh I'm tired I must have been thinking I was talkinga bout a Celica.

Old 06-12-2004, 10:26 AM   #4
Inygknok
El del Supra

PHEW! ok, i was going to have to kill u for that one :P

nah but supra wins hands down. the GTO is a great car, but its way too heavy, even with AWD it only manages high 13's max, runs regular low 14's.

and the Supra.... well, no need to say anything. the name speaks for itself.

Old 06-12-2004, 12:20 PM   #5
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
PHEW! ok, i was going to have to kill u for that one :P

nah but supra wins hands down. the GTO is a great car, but its way too heavy, even with AWD it only manages high 13's max, runs regular low 14's.

and the Supra.... well, no need to say anything. the name speaks for itself.

yep...im with you on that one

toyota supra tt for the stock race any way but if you can mod the mitsu' gto tt to a nice spec and get the weight to an absolute minimum, i see a good race coming

still i would rather own a toyota supra tt rather than a mitsu' gto tt
WeaponR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 05:24 PM   #6
importluva
Obsessed with imports

weight is a significant factor. Supra vs 3000 GT
Id say Supra hands down.
importluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2004, 09:26 PM   #7
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Hmm...yes I'd have to agree weight plays a significant factor but lets say these two were somewhat modded out. I can't exactly say the Supra would loose but I think that in a good run the GT stands a chance of beating the Supra. I always hear that Supras are scared of AWD cars . But is'nt it somewhat true that an AWD car could bring half or 2/3rds the WHP of a FWD or a RWD to a track and still possibly win?

Old 06-12-2004, 11:56 PM   #8
Inygknok
El del Supra

many comparison tests have been done with the cars of their class, Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, 3KGT, Skyline, NSX, and the rest i cant think of right now (headache), but u know which ones i mean. Hands down, the NSX n RX-7 have the best handling of all, but in all of th comparisons, the 3kgt has been classified as the worst performer of the bunch.

its still a kick ass car, but it does lack alot. its AWD is focused mainly on the characteristics of a FWD too. u can pretty much also see how the 3kgt has lacked appearances in major competitions. last 3kgt i have seen was one that has been featured in a couple of magazines already, ill mention the owners once i find one of the mags later tonight (i promise), but if i remember right, its owned by a major store in Cali. for those of u who might have seen it, its got a demon camber in the rear wheels, and has a black/orange color scheme throughout the body and is estimated to put out around 500whp. its also an early model 3kgt with the late model bumpers and headlights with a huge ass I/C. its a very nice 3kgt, i would scan the pics when i find the mags, but i have no scanner, sorry

Old 06-13-2004, 02:57 AM   #9
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Quote:
many comparison tests have been done with the cars of their class, Supra, RX-7, 300ZX, 3KGT, Skyline, NSX, and the rest i cant think of right now (headache), but u know which ones i mean. Hands down, the NSX n RX-7 have the best handling of all, but in all of th comparisons, the 3kgt has been classified as the worst performer of the bunch.

its still a kick ass car, but it does lack alot. its AWD is focused mainly on the characteristics of a FWD too. u can pretty much also see how the 3kgt has lacked appearances in major competitions. last 3kgt i have seen was one that has been featured in a couple of magazines already, ill mention the owners once i find one of the mags later tonight (i promise), but if i remember right, its owned by a major store in Cali. for those of u who might have seen it, its got a demon camber in the rear wheels, and has a black/orange color scheme throughout the body and is estimated to put out around 500whp. its also an early model 3kgt with the late model bumpers and headlights with a huge ass I/C. its a very nice 3kgt, i would scan the pics when i find the mags, but i have no scanner, sorry

well said.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:43 PM   #10
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

wow!

like import luva has already stated, Well Said
Old 06-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #11
soljahx
CF Newbie

Supra will win.

a better match would be a Supra Twin Turbo vs an RX-7

high tech's and khakis when jackin'
saw'd off, there's really no place to runnnn...
niggaz get vicious with my clique,
cuz even the bitches carry gunnnnssss....

...bone thugs n harmony..

Last edited by soljahx : 06-13-2004 at 05:02 PM.
soljahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:15 PM   #12
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by soljahx
Supra will win.

a better match would be a Supra Twin Turbo vs an RX-7

i would have thought so

the RX-7 will win if the track is 70% with turns though. i've read that car is exceptionaly good at turnin' and handlin' aint a big issue with it too

not sure about the quarter strip though, could go either way or could it not?
Old 06-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #13
soljahx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaponR
i would have thought so

the RX-7 will win if the track is 70% with turns though. i've read that car is exceptionaly good at turnin' and handlin' aint a big issue with it too

not sure about the quarter strip though, could go either way or could it not?

yeah i heard the RX-7 is good at handling too...but i think the Supra would win in the quarter mile because i had a chance to drive the RX-7 and i have a 94' Twin Turbo Supra....the Supra juss feels like it has more power lol...

high tech's and khakis when jackin'
saw'd off, there's really no place to runnnn...
niggaz get vicious with my clique,
cuz even the bitches carry gunnnnssss....

...bone thugs n harmony..
soljahx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 05:51 PM   #14
importluva
Obsessed with imports

Why dont we look at the facts. There are atleast three factors i can think of. Hp, Torque, Weight.
1995 Rx-7 Turbo vs 1995 Supra Turbo. The turbo supra has 320hp, 315tq, weight is 3415lbs. The Rx-7 has only 255hp, 217tq, and weighs 2826lbs.
There is definitely a huge weight difference, but the two cars also differ in one more category. The supra is a 6-speed, while the Rx-7 is a 5-speed. Its a tough call, anyone have dynos of these two cars? The gearing can also make a big difference.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:40 PM   #15
WeaponR
CF Weapon Type R

Quote:
Originally Posted by importluva
Why dont we look at the facts. There are atleast three factors i can think of. Hp, Torque, Weight.
1995 Rx-7 Turbo vs 1995 Supra Turbo. The turbo supra has 320hp, 315tq, weight is 3415lbs. The Rx-7 has only 255hp, 217tq, and weighs 2826lbs.
There is definitely a huge weight difference, but the two cars also differ in one more category. The supra is a 6-speed, while the Rx-7 is a 5-speed. Its a tough call, anyone have dynos of these two cars? The gearing can also make a big difference.

why don't we settle this on the track hey! some one load up Gran Turismo, buy these 2 cars, trick them out and take them in for 'machine tests' or a race

on the serious side...any one own a RX-7 or a Supra and care to post a pic of the dyno sheet for us or just post in the numbers?

i think on the quarter mile strip, the Supra wins but on a track with a handfull of turns, the RX-7 wins. any one agree?
the gear ratios is that? think they play a part too i agree but then are you going to say that the driver matters too? i think it does but its not goin' to be a major factor

so, it looks like the 'big fat ass' GTO a.k.a 3000GT is out of the question then?

a big for the Supra. lets wait and see how it does against the RX-7!

Last edited by WeaponR : 06-13-2004 at 06:48 PM.