Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2003, 12:56 AM   #1
sugarboy43

R-12 to R-134 conversion!!!!

Have a 1967 Chevy Impala 327 engine. Want to change from R12 to R134 on the a/c. Need to know proper steps to make this change. Hope someone can help. THANKS
Old 05-15-2003, 02:13 AM   #2
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: R-12 to R-134 conversion!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarboy43
Have a 1967 Chevy Impala 327 engine. Want to change from R12 to R134 on the a/c. Need to know proper steps to make this change. Hope someone can help. THANKS

1. Replace reciever/dryer
2. Replace orfice tube
3. Completely flush and clean system, pay special attention to removing mineral oil
4. Replace all o-rings
5. Service system with proper amount of PAG oil and R134A
6. Be aware that R134A operates at somewhat higher pressure, fairly common to blow out the weakest link when servicing older cars ($$$)

A cheaper and easier alternative would be to service system with Freeze-12. It is compatible with R-12 and can just be added on top of existing charge.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2003, 05:59 PM   #3
sugarboy43

Freeze 12 ????

Is this what some people call propane type gas which is dangerous? I am trying to find out as much info as I can before I start. Please get back to me on this Freeze 12 thing. pmrick@netquake.net
Old 05-15-2003, 09:26 PM   #4
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Re: Freeze 12 ????

Quote:
Is this what some people call propane type gas which is dangerous? I am trying to find out as much info as I can before I start. Please get back to me on this Freeze 12 thing. pmrick@netquake.net

Excellent question, most people don't even know there are propane products out there.

Freeze-12 contains difluoromonochloroethane (hope I spelled that right). Yes it is somewhat flamable but the flash point is 1170F. Basically if you get your underhood temperatures to that point the Freeze-12 is the least of your problems.

Also I didn't mention this in my last post but in a car that originally came with R-12 this stuff cools way better than R-134A especially sitting in traffic. R-12 is still the best but is cost prohibitive. This is my opinion based on doing lots of AC work in the deep south.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."

Old 05-30-2003, 05:07 AM   #5
sugarboy43

Can you teel me where to find FREEZE 12?
Old 05-30-2003, 05:09 AM   #6
sugarboy43

Also forgot to ask if anyone can buy this product?
Old 05-30-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Also forgot to ask if anyone can buy this product?

No license is required to buy it. Any decent car parts store will carry it. Expect to pay about $8 per 12 oz can.