Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 06:20 PM   #1
 
Posts: n/a
18" rims

i'm looking to put 18" rims on my eclipse. its a 98 Eclipse GS. What all will i need to do to make them fit?? will i need new chamber's, etc. what all would i need??
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2002, 05:25 AM   #2
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!
 
mazda6man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,158
youlle need to know the right lug count, the spacing of the lugs, and probably the width of the rim,,, other than that i dont know
__________________
I = JDM titeness
Toyota 4 Life;
I rock X Chassis Toyotas daily
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:40 PM   #3
North East Customs
 
Posts: n/a
is your car lowered?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:48 PM   #4
99hatch
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Grimsby Ontario Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
i'm looking to put 18" rims on my eclipse. its a 98 Eclipse GS. What all will i need to do to make them fit?? will i need new chamber's, etc. what all would i need??

all of the above...a camber kit for the front rear suspention properly installed will keep youre tires alligend better to inforce even tread wear and prevent excessive tread wear..Its worth the extra money seeing how youll probably spend double that on replacement tires in the future....
99hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hatch
all of the above...a camber kit for the front rear suspention properly installed will keep youre tires alligend better to inforce even tread wear and prevent excessive tread wear..Its worth the extra money seeing how youll probably spend double that on replacement tires in the future....
Why would he need a camber kit just to install larger wheels? A larger wheel won't affect the alignment but lowering will. BTW, this is another thread that's over two years old. I don't think he cares anymore.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
99hatch
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Grimsby Ontario Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
Why would he need a camber kit just to install larger wheels? A larger wheel won't affect the alignment but lowering will. BTW, this is another thread that's over two years old. I don't think he cares anymore.
why wouldn't rasing the car effect aligment?.....i thought it did?...
99hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #7
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99hatch
why wouldn't rasing the car effect aligment?.....i thought it did?...
I don't see anywhere in his post where it says the car is lowered or raised. All he asked about was installing 18" wheels. That's it.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 12:55 AM   #8
CarEXPERT
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
If your getting bigger rims, dont you have to get diffrent tires too because it wont match the bigger rim. The sidewall gets smaller as you put a bigger rim on it so the length from sidewall to sidewall has to get longer.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:20 AM   #9
99hatch
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Grimsby Ontario Canada
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
I don't see anywhere in his post where it says the car is lowered or raised. All he asked about was installing 18" wheels. That's it.
true that...
99hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 11:40 AM   #10
RusMan
CF Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
If your getting bigger rims, dont you have to get diffrent tires too because it wont match the bigger rim. The sidewall gets smaller as you put a bigger rim on it so the length from sidewall to sidewall has to get longer.

Wow, you made a brakethrough there
__________________
RusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! How do I put these rims on??????? Repairs & Maintenance 7 02-13-2004 02:46 AM
rims / tires suprarx7TT General Chat 1 12-15-2002 07:04 AM



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.