Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 AM   #1
Lnknpk04@aol.co
CF Newbie

1963? ford ltd

Hi.
My friend and his dad mess around with cars a lot. They are restoring an 81 vette and just bought a 2000 viper. They decided to give me a 1963 (give or take a year or 2) Ford LTD to restore as my first. The problem is, i dont know where to begin looking for manuals and specs and etc for the car. What do you veteran restoration people usually start out doing? Thanks! I hope im not being too much of a newbie =).
Eric
Also, i googled and that really didn't help and neither did ebay.

Last edited by Lnknpk04@aol.co : 10-10-2004 at 05:31 AM. Reason: specifying
Lnknpk04@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
theman352001
--- Voice of Reason ---

Keep looking. If you go to the third link down there is a lot of links there that take you to classic Ford websites and more info. Your research may be a bit more difficult because a '63 LTD is not your common classic Ford to restore. To me, that just makes it a bit more desireable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+LTD+resources

Anyway, check out Year One and other restoration companies to see what they offer. Search the Web for restoration compaines and you should find a selection.

What I don't understand though is why your buddy is not helping you out? They should be your biggest resource.
theman352001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Lnknpk04@aol.co
CF Newbie

I am at school in missouri and they live back home in michigan. Gabe (friend) is helping me as much as he can. I'm waiting for a response from him so i can get the year and some more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman352001
Keep looking. If you go to the third link down there is a lot of links there that take you to classic Ford websites and more info. Your research may be a bit more difficult because a '63 LTD is not your common classic Ford to restore. To me, that just makes it a bit more desireable.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...+LTD+resources

Anyway, check out Year One and other restoration companies to see what they offer. Search the Web for restoration compaines and you should find a selection.

What I don't understand though is why your buddy is not helping you out? They should be your biggest resource.
Old 10-12-2004, 01:04 AM   #4
Lnknpk04@aol.co
CF Newbie

Info

I talked to him today, its a 1967 Ford LTD, automatic.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:20 AM   #5
Lnknpk04@aol.co
CF Newbie

Some more info

I have talked to my brother a little bit and he has told me just a few things that are wrong w/ my freebie project.
1. It needs a new wiring harness (what is it? how much is it [average]?)
2. It has some rust
3. In order to get it to start, a wire of some kind has to connect directly to the engine

Kinda vague, but since I'm at college, its the best I can do a.t.m.
I have tried looking up information on the 1967 LTD but have come up short. It seems that it is somehow related to the galaxie but I wasn't sure. If anyone knows the relationship, post please =).
Thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ok, first off, as with any car of it's time period, the electrical system is pretty simple. Your best bet is to try and look up the wiring diagram for that year and model (a 2 door '67 LTD is pictured above). But before you can use it, you need to understand how DC electrical circuits work, how power is routed through the car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll... 564&tc=photo

There are a few wires to the engine. Actually, what you have is a wire from the alternator to the battery, wires for a couple guage sending units, a ground link from engine to chassis, a wire from the starter up to the starter solenoid in the engine compartment, and a wire from the solenoid to the battery, as well as a small wire from the solenoid to the key.

As for rust, if it's small amounts, just identify it, clean up the loose flakes, and spray it with a rust converter product (that turns it to a black zinc oxide primer) and let it be for a while. If it's bad, you'll need to cut it out and replace panels, but really, unless you can see through it like a window, deal with the mechanical issues first.

Those cars are extremely simple, but some parts can be expensive to find. Don't worry, as you don't need every part of the car to be new to enjoy it.

Go here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-...od-channel.htm and learn how the systems work.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote