Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2004, 07:09 AM   #1
MasterC117
CF Newbie

TurboCharges and Supercharges

first of all could somone please explain to me the difference between a turbocharge and a supercharge (im kinda a newbie at this stuff). and then please tell me the advanteges and disadvantages of both and which one u think is better and why. also if there are certain brand i should look for it would be great if u guys could explain if it has any advantages of disadvantages. also someone PLEASE let me know what the deal is with this sts turbo stuff (heres the website www.ststurbo.com). i have never heard more mixed reviews on any one thing in my life. some say its awsome others say its by far the worst and the website makes it sound like its the most efficient and best preforming one out there, which could be bs. so someone please explain this to me. thanks
MasterC117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
EzMustang
CF Newbie

dont know to much but i do know, A supercharger has the potential for greater VE than a turbo because of the backpressure,, turbo improve the piower to weight ratio what im trying to say is a turbo can boost an engine's horsepower without increasing its weight, which is the huge benefit that makes turbos so popular, i think supercharge is what like 35hp and turbo is well not to sure how much turbo adds but it spins a turbine or some shit well did the best i could.. maybe someone else can do better hope it helped

2003 ford mustang fastback
EzMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #3
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

the main difference..aside from the way they look..is when they start to make power. A supercharger will make power as soon as u start give the car more gas because it is driven by the crankshaft so as soon as the crank spins the charger spins...a turbo however is spooled up by the exhause from the motor. Thats why there is turbo "lag" because there isnt enough exhaust flowing to spin up tyhe turbo....so a supercharger will give u a smoother horsepower curve while a turbo will start to give u power in the higher rpm range depending on the size of the turbo because the larger the turbo the more it needs to spool up.

I ran into someone at english town raceway and he had a 98-02 camaro SS with a remote turbo setup from STS and he couldnt say enough good things about it...and if your looking at the engine all you see is polished piping runing down which could easly be confused as just an aftermarket induction system...so it has sleeper written all over it.

"With enough horsepower, even gravity can be affected"

"Keep the shiny side up"

chevypwr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 09:38 PM   #4
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
turbo improve the piower to weight ratio. what im trying to say is a turbo can boost an engine's horsepower without increasing its weight, which is the huge benefit that makes turbos so popular

Superchargers don't add any noticable weight either, so this point is moot.

Quote:
i think supercharge is what like 35hp and turbo is well not to sure how much turbo adds

No. Not every super or turbo charger makes a set amount of power. There are different size turbos and you can run them at different levels of boost. A turbo can add as much as a thousand or more hp, or could make as little as 100 or even less.

Quote:
A supercharger will make power as soon as u start give the car more gas because it is driven by the crankshaft so as soon as the crank spins the charger spins

No. There may be exceptions, but for the most part superchargers are driven by a belt.

Quote:
so a supercharger will give u a smoother horsepower curve while a turbo will start to give u power in the higher rpm range depending on the size of the turbo because the larger the turbo the more it needs to spool up.

Not necessarily. A supercharger won't make a smoother power curve, it just may start making extra power sooner.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:40 PM   #5
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

the belt on the supercharger runs to the the crank...thats what turns the charger...right or am i thinking of something else?

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-27-2004, 09:48 PM   #6
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypwr6
the belt on the supercharger runs to the the crank...thats what turns the charger...right or am i thinking of something else?

Yes you are correct, but the SC is connected DIRECTLY to the belt.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #7
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

right...the belt which is connected to the SC then goes to the crank pully

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-28-2004, 04:36 AM   #8
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Not all superchargers are created equal, centrifugal s/c's don't make instant boost, roots type blowers will make almost instant boost but at the price of high intake temps, a twin screw blower will also make almost instant boost but with much cooler intake temps-also higher boost levels are possible with a twin-screw or centrifugal type s/c. But I'm wasting my time because we've gone over this 2 or 3 times already since March and the threads are usually over 20 posts each time and cover all the pros and cons.....bottom line...

YOU F*CKERS SHOULD BE USING THE "SEARCH" FUNCTION FIRST!!!

Also, chevykid, you can restore a '70 chevelle SS from the ground up but you don't know the workings of a supercharger? Yeah, you just lost your credibility, indefinitely.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 06:17 AM   #9
abless
CF Anti-Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
YOU F*CKERS SHOULD BE USING THE "SEARCH" FUNCTION FIRST!!!

I couldn't agree more. Getting the same questions gets old pretty quick.

Quote:
Also, chevykid, you can restore a '70 chevelle SS from the ground up but you don't know the workings of a supercharger? Yeah, you just lost your credibility, indefinitely.

You know this kid is experienced when he has a "Nismo Oil Cap".
Old 10-28-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

im sorry...where exactly did i show that i didnt know how a SC works...because i said that the pully on a roots style SC runs to the crank? tell me that im wrong there...if i am then ill bow out without question...but for someone to say that i dont know the workings of a SC is kind of retarded when i just made a few remarks...i could get into it but the user who started this thread seemed like he didnt know anything so i didnt get in depth about it...if he wants me to i can...SO SHUT THE HELL UP!

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-28-2004, 02:18 PM   #11
EzMustang
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by abless
Superchargers don't add any noticable weight either, so this point is moot.

No. Not every super or turbo charger makes a set amount of power. There are different size turbos and you can run them at different levels of boost. A turbo can add as much as a thousand or more hp, or could make as little as 100 or even less.

yes i think we know that turbos dont add a set amount.. you can buy up to 3 different stages plus you could get 2 turbos on some cars

2003 ford mustang fastback

Last edited by EzMustang : 10-28-2004 at 02:21 PM.
EzMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #12
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

you can also add multiple centrifugal super chargers on an application..depending

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-28-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Oh shit, reading those last 8 or 9 replies just made my body go numb. Please hide this thread before somone sees it. Some of you guys are just asking to get schooled.

"i think supercharge is what like 35hp and turbo is well not to sure how much turbo adds"
Awww man thats going in my Almanac of funny ass shit.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:50 AM   #14
chevypwr6
CF Newbie

good for you

"Keep the shiny side up"

Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 AM   #15
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypwr6

Okay slick, you can't even keep track of your own thoughts....you were asking a question here not making a statement, you weren't sure how such a simple device as a s/c worked. So you need to shut the hell up dipsh*t. THINK, TYPE, SUBMIT....you are apparently missing the first part and the second part is even a little sketchy.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote