Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Asian Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #1
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

N20 : The Basics

Time for an Update!

First of, NOS originally stood for New Old Stock (ask if you're curious). Nowadays, it's brand. So don't brag about how you got NOS in your car, if the manufacturer is really ZEX.

(Thanks "Fast and the Furious"). N20 (two parts nitrogen, one part oxygen) is an oxidizer, not some form of a fuel.

Most people believe it's a form of fuel thanks again to the fast and the furious, because of the engine renderings showing nitrous hitting the combustion chambers and creating the blue explosion. That's actually gas reacting with oxygen to expand, pushing the piston south. Think of nitrous as a thing that doubles your displacement, which means more horsepower.
You ever wondered why Nitrous is packed in giant steel bottles? Thatís because they need to be held at over 700 psi to keep it at room temperature (Or the whereabouts). *Note = If you have a Nitrous and live in Arizona, with temps over 95 degrees, you may have complications and need a stronger tanks, as the pressure will jump to 1000 psi if you live in a hot climate. So, when the Nitrous goes from 700 psi to 14.7 psi (Room pressure), the temperature of it will drop through the floor. Because nitrous boils at negative 120, itíll cool down everything around it pretty quick. So, colder air in the combustion chamber, more compact air, more gas/fuel ratio, and more horsepower. Plain and simple, but not really. So why do most people think nitrous is dangerous to an engine? Well, it is if youíre a dumba$$ and just add in the nitrous injectors and thatís it. If you just throw on the N20, youíre engine will run lean. Standard fuel management systems for Nitrous will keep your engine running rich, which prevents N20 from blowing up your engine. The actual physics of it is that nitrous needs some fuel to react with, or else the temperatures go to hell (get really hot). The rest of the oxygen that didnít burn with fuel will oxidize anything it can get to. Which are your combustion chamber walls. Unless you want to replace the top end of your engine every time you use Nitrous, you should get bigger fuel injectors and a fuel management to make your engine run rich. So, what else is there to say? Of course, running nitrous always comes with risks, as youíre preparing your car for speeds it wasnít prepared for, so I you really want a nitrous engine that will last, go for the whole 9 yards. Buy strong connecting rods, new pistons (If youíre gonna get nitrous, you can probably afford a turbo also), new intake (see DSMí post about intakes), new exhaust, new torque resistant crankshaft, etc. etc. Visit some of these sites for info on N20 and what to buy. Always go for the complete kit if youíre a beginner with a lot of money.

www.zex.xom
www.overboost.com
www.nosnitrous.com
www.nitrousexpress.com

So what about the different types of nitrous? There's wet, dry and direct port systems.

Direct port is where the gas and Nitrous lines go directly to the cylinder, instead of at the manifold intake. This way, you don't get an uneven distribution of N20, and you don't have to worry about upgrading your fuel injectors to get your car to run rich.

A Wet system is where you have a gas and N20 line go together to the manifold intake, so don't have to upgrade your fuel injectors, but, you have the uneven distribution of Nitrous to worry about.

A dry system is where you just have the Nitrous solenoid at the head of the intake manifold, and it sprays the now gas Nitrous into the pistons. Still have to worry about upgrading your fuel injectors and uneven distribution.

Here's another good reference site;
http://www.magnumforceracing.com/sto...s/wetvsdry.htm

Last edited by Godlaus : 03-20-2005 at 02:55 AM.
Godlaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Tyko
CF Newbie

This helped some, thanks bro. I'll read the intake info to see if theres something else I can learn.
Tyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 02:08 AM   #3
CarEXPERT
Banned

When nitrous is hotter than 95degrees F then the nitrous will turn into a gas and the pressure will go up. And the nitrous to fuel ratio should be 5.5:1 which is on the rich side but its always good to run rich when using nitrous fore safty of the engine.

Godaus in your posts you didnt explain how nitrous is pumped from the bottle to the soldnoids can you please explain. ANd also there are diffrent ways to how its activated but I dont know all of them. DOes injecting nitrous into your intercoolers work? cuz the the nitrous would be cold so would it work?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 03:35 AM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Jeez Gaulaus! You still in Texas? Doing a lot of scavenging...

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 05:09 AM   #5
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
Godaus in your posts you didnt explain how nitrous is pumped from the bottle to the soldnoids can you please explain. ANd also there are diffrent ways to how its activated but I dont know all of them. DOes injecting nitrous into your intercoolers work? cuz the the nitrous would be cold so would it work?

One thing you will learn from life, is that everything is balanced, and things that aren't balanced will try to balance out themselves. It's roughly 700 psi in the Nitorus tanks. It's 14.7 psi at the end of the solenoid. Pressures try to equilibriate, so the nitrous flows from high pressure to low pressure. When you press the little red button, you're opening up a flow gate that allows the high pressure nitrous to flow to the low pressure area. Injecting nitrous into your intercooler? Why? It would work better and faster in the combustion chambers.

Quote:
Jeez Gaulaus! You still in Texas? Doing a lot of scavenging...

I'm bored......
Old 02-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #6
mazda6man
im JDM TITE YO!

my thoughts on nitrous
My rides = 1992 Cressida aka "the Cressy"
1985 Cressida aka "pain in my asshole"

mazda6man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godlaus
One thing you will learn from life, is that everything is balanced, and things that aren't balanced will try to balance out themselves. It's roughly 700 psi in the Nitorus tanks. It's 14.7 psi at the end of the solenoid. Pressures try to equilibriate, so the nitrous flows from high pressure to low pressure. When you press the little red button, you're opening up a flow gate that allows the high pressure nitrous to flow to the low pressure area. Injecting nitrous into your intercooler? Why? It would work better and faster in the combustion chambers.

I'm bored......
i believe the typical pressures of a nitrous bottle are higher than 700 psi, optimal pressures are about 1100 psi, and the tanks are required by law to be able to hold 1800psi. The tanks are also stamped with a date of certification and must be within 5 years for any place to refill it(at least legally)
the whole nitrous, intercooler combo is done to keep temperatures low, which in turn allows more spark advance(is also a denser charge) without detonation at high boost levels. This was done by the late John Lingenfelter.(created a 1200 hp 4cyl tubocharged Ecotec engine)
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #8
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:

I'm bored......
How can you be bored in Dallas? Go to Harry Hines... lots of strip clubs. Lol...

Old 02-26-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos

i believe the typical pressures of a nitrous bottle are higher than 700 psi, optimal pressures are about 1100 psi, and the tanks are required by law to be able to hold 1800psi. The tanks are also stamped with a date of certification and must be within 5 years for any place to refill it(at least legally)
the whole nitrous, intercooler combo is done to keep temperatures low, which in turn allows more spark advance(is also a denser charge) without detonation at high boost levels. This was done by the late John Lingenfelter.(created a 1200 hp 4cyl tubocharged Ecotec engine)

If the temperature of the nitrous is above 97 degrees fahrenheit, then the PSI jumps to about 1000. That's why some makers hold the tank at 700, others at 1000. it all depends on the environment, and whether or not you want to buy cheaper goods that will serve you well in your area. Dunno about the law thing....only lawful thing about Nitrous I know is that it's legal to install (in the US), but illegal to use. (too much emissions).

Sounds liek you've done your research also, thanks for contributing.

Quote:
How can you be bored in Dallas? Go to Harry Hines... lots of strip clubs. Lol...

yeah, but I still look like I'm 17. Sucks.........And, I had to renovate my grandparent's house while I was down there. Pretty boring for me, but probably a fun place to be for you.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
If the temperature of the nitrous is above 97 degrees fahrenheit, then the PSI jumps to about 1000. That's why some makers hold the tank at 700, others at 1000. it all depends on the environment, and whether or not you want to buy cheaper goods that will serve you well in your area. Dunno about the law thing....only lawful thing about Nitrous I know is that it's legal to install (in the US), but illegal to use. (too much emissions).

Sounds liek you've done your research also, thanks for contributing.

yeah, but I still look like I'm 17. Sucks.........And, I had to renovate my grandparent's house while I was down there. Pretty boring for me, but probably a fun place to be for you.
Its ok..

Old 03-15-2005, 04:25 AM   #11
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

This thread is all good but your proabably forgot one of the most common nitrous setups used for brute power in professional applications. Thats direct port injection. Where the nitrous injectors are ran directly into the intake or even into the cylinders.... I wanna see a picture of that...

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 08:51 PM   #12
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

just check out sheppard's DSM, it ran the record 8 second on Nitrous.

Which brings me to my next point.

People often complain about nitrous as cheating. I remember a 1st gen mazda rx-7 at 8 psi racing a 350z, and the rx7 destroyed the Z. the 350 pulled up next to the mazda after the race, and yelled at him; "you cheated! you used NOS!". Since when is nitrous cheating? Everyoen can get it, it's no more cheating than using a turbo. What gives? Why is it considered cheating?

Also, I watched the fast and the furious yesterday (it's painful to watch now that I know a fair amount about cars), and in it, when the jetta races the s2000, the jetta uses N20 and the azn behind the jetta says, "too soon". There is no "too soon" to use nitrous, using it from the launch is the best idea.

God, let's get a list going of everything wrong in the fast and the furious series. Anybody want to contribute?
Old 03-15-2005, 09:51 PM   #13
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
just check out sheppard's DSM, it ran the record 8 second on Nitrous.

Which brings me to my next point.

People often complain about nitrous as cheating. I remember a 1st gen mazda rx-7 at 8 psi racing a 350z, and the rx7 destroyed the Z. the 350 pulled up next to the mazda after the race, and yelled at him; "you cheated! you used NOS!". Since when is nitrous cheating? Everyoen can get it, it's no more cheating than using a turbo. What gives? Why is it considered cheating?

Also, I watched the fast and the furious yesterday (it's painful to watch now that I know a fair amount about cars), and in it, when the jetta races the s2000, the jetta uses N20 and the azn behind the jetta says, "too soon". There is no "too soon" to use nitrous, using it from the launch is the best idea.

God, let's get a list going of everything wrong in the fast and the furious series. Anybody want to contribute?

Thats great and all but how about you add a direct port nitrous system to your "Everything you need to know about N2O". Also it is very common for V8 guys to use direct port nitrous systems simply because they can run the lines under the intake manifold and use a hidden nitrous system. I've even seen a hidden direct port nitrous system on a 4-cylinder Talon TSi. The owner had a custom made manifold that was extended with artificial walls that did'nt actually intake air but rather hid the nitrous lines, foggers, injectors etc.. But to my knowledge a hidden 4cylinder setup is very hard to pull off...

It was a rather bulky intake, but to the untrained eye it appeared to be a cutsom chrome intake manifold. As far as hiding the bottle(s), thats another story.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:23 PM   #14
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Thats great and all but how about you add a direct port nitrous system to your "Everything you need to know about N2O".

Done

Why would you want to hide the nitrous lines though?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 PM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Done

Why would you want to hide the nitrous lines though?
Maybe you should slow down and repeat that question in your head veryslowly. If you stil can't conclude why anyone would want to hide a nitrous setup then I don't think you should have written this article...