Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
trek1114
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Littleton Colorado
Posts: 1
Question slammed into R at 60 mph

I had a strange happening the other night. Me and my wife were diving back from the mountains (she was driving) we have a 92 Toyota Camry auto. We use the no over drive button and the 2nd to slow down on the steep roads. We were down the mountain and she thought she was in 2nd and slammed the stick up past N to R at 60mph the breaks came on and slowed us down to a stop. I thought the car was fried but she turned it off and back on and it went into drive just fine and there is no sign of a leak. It seems just fine, my ? Is why is my car still working after this happened is there some safety switch that kicked in or something? Or am I just really lucky? Any info would be appreciated.
trek1114 is offline  
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
you should never ever pull on the shifter lever when driving, you just push it, that's why it was poped into reverse, she pulled on the lever, otherwise it would stop at neutral (Or press the button for the shifters down in the bush, just push them)

You're extremely lucky to not have broken anything. I've never heard of a safety switch for something like that, most cars can't lock up the brakes at 60mph anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference at speeds like that. Usually the weakest link breaks when you do that, (Axel, clutches... etc). We had a truck that came in that he slammed it into reverse while off-roading, snapped the 6" driveshaft in two.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
dcm1996impalaSS
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 7
We did this in my friend's '92 Blazer at about 50-60mph and the same thing happened. The brakes locked up and we skidded to a hault. He simply turned the car back on and everything worked fine. It wasn't for a couple of years before he lost his upper gears and reverse.
dcm1996impalaSS is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
The brakes don't lock up, the wheels do because... well, duh, they tend to want to go in the oppisite direction in reverse.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
The brakes don't lock up, the wheels do because... well, duh, they tend to want to go in the oppisite direction in reverse.

Indeed.

As I said, not many cars out there have the power to lock up the brakes on dry pavement, engine's spinning one way, all of a sudden you slam it into reverse, now the tranny's trying to output a opposite turn, which in turn kills the motor and locks up the wheels.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 02-22-2005 at 06:36 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Indeed.

As I said, not many cars out there have the power to lock up the brakes on dry pavement, engine's spinning one way, all of a sudden you slam it into reverse, now the tranny's trying to output a opposite turn, which in turn kills the motor and locks up the wheels.
i don't think the engine would die
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
hahaha, ooooh yes it would. What do you think spins the trans? The motor. The motor's running at 2000, all of a sudden you slam it into reverse, the trans is now trying to spin backwards (at a much higher RPM, probably close to 10 grand at highways speeds), your wheels-trans over power the hydraulic pump the motor is creating and the trans spins backwards, making a reverse pump which locks up the motor so it can no longer spin.

There is absolutely nothing stopping the trans from spinning in an opposite direction, if you changed all the timing of the motor, you could make a vehicle run backwards, so now it has 4 reverse gears, and 1 forward. Without any mods to the trans.

Read up on how torque convertors work, and automatic transmissions and you'll understand what I mean.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 02-22-2005 at 07:37 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 07:47 AM   #8
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
i know how torque converters work but that has nothing to do with this because the only thing that changes is the output shaft the input shaft is always turning the same way as the engine thats how its possible for the engine to keep going the same way while the trans output shaft is going the other way sorry but you're wrong. not only that the guy said the engine kept running

Last edited by carlos : 02-22-2005 at 07:54 AM.
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #9
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
any other thoughts 88grandprix
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 07:55 AM   #10
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
i know how torque converters work and anytime a car that uses solenoids to engage the clutch(which is probably this car)sees neutral it will disengage the clutch now the only thing holding the trans and engine connected is the trans. fluid therefore its possible for the engine to keep going the same way while the trans output shaft is going the other way sorry but you're wrong. not only that the guy said the engine kept running

Don't be so ignorant. You're obviously going by what your suit father or mother has told you and believe it to be true. You still don't understand how auto trans work, nor the power of the torque convertor.

What are you talking about, autos DO NOT have a clutch. The clutch of an auto is MUCH more complicated than that of a standard, the clutches are inside the trans itself, it has no solid link to the motor. The only time there is a solid link to the motor is in over-drive, but I won't get into that, you have lots of reading to do. So cars without over drive, There is ABSOLUTELY no solid link between the motor and tranny, all there is is the torque convertor, which is just a hydraulic pump.

If you're so confident, do this right now, put your most expensive vehicle in drive, get up to 15mph and throw it into reverse. See what happens (Engine stalls, chances are at low speeds like that nothing will break).

Torque convertors are extremely efficient for what they are, a tranny CANNOT and WILL NOT spin the opposite direction of the engine, it will lock up the motor. Do what I told you above. Then post your results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
any other thoughts 88grandprix

Any other "facts" Carlos
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:01 AM   #11
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
actually they do have a clutch its housed inside the torque converter it started appearing in the early 70's(i believe) to get better fuel mileage and they usually engage at around 30mph
looks like you need to do a little more reading
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:03 AM   #12
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie
 
Blue_Frog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Don't be so ignorant. You're obviously going by what your suit father or mother has told you and believe it to be true. You still don't understand how auto trans work, nor the power of the torque convertor.

What are you talking about, autos DO NOT have a clutch. The clutch of an auto is MUCH more complicated than that of a standard, the clutches are inside the trans itself, it has no solid link to the motor. The only time there is a solid link to the motor is in over-drive, but I won't get into that, you have lots of reading to do. So cars without over drive, There is ABSOLUTELY no solid link between the motor and tranny, all there is is the torque convertor, which is just a hydraulic pump.

If you're so confident, do this right now, put your most expensive vehicle in drive, get up to 15mph and throw it into reverse. See what happens (Engine stalls, chances are at low speeds like that nothing will break).

Torque convertors are extremely efficient for what they are, a tranny CANNOT and WILL NOT spin the opposite direction of the engine, it will lock up the motor. Do what I told you above. Then post your results.



Any other "facts" Carlos

Agreed with Grand...while I was trying to fix the funny trans probs in my current ride wiff a mix of LUCAS n TransX in the transmission I was doing a lot of gear shifting with an auto cuz drive was slipping. Throw an automatic into R or even 1st (or any bad combo)while its reving in the wrong place for it and hell yeah you'll kill that engine fast.
Blue_Frog is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
did you guys miss the part where the guy said he turned the car off then back on after this happened
carlos is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:06 AM   #14
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
actually they do have a clutch its housed inside the torque converter it started appearing in the early 70's(i believe) to get better fuel mileage and they usually engage at around 30mph
looks like you need to do a little more reading

Hahaha, shut up already, you're embarassing yourself, that's called over-drive, and, that's only for 4th(5th) gear, it engages around 60mph. Break out the books boy. I've worked on cars since I can remember, you've worked on them since what? yesterday?
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 02-22-2005, 08:08 AM   #15
carlos
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 273
i actually went to school for automotive technology and overdrive now you're talking about someyhing completely different
carlos is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.