Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
toyota
CF Newbie

4 banger or muscle car which is better

you do the math im going whith the muscle car what do you think?
toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

....You're an idiot.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:13 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota
you do the math im going whith the muscle car what do you think?

As is true with everything, it all depends on what you're going to DO with the car. I can have as much fun in light sports cars with 4 cyls as I can in big inch musclecars. Why do we HAVE to fight about it all the time? Are you that insecure with your own choices?

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
OneyOzFest182
CF Newbie

i totally agree with that. They are both good. The muscle cars were the originals and the imports and sh*t are the new generation. It all has pros and cons but I love them both. I can look at a nice impreza decked out and say damn thats sweet, then see a charger fully balled and say, damn thats sweet. Appreciate cars
OneyOzFest182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #5
moostang104314
the guy you wish you were

While one is NOT better than the other, I do favor muscle cars more, its just a natural preference for me. I would rather have a Pontiac GTO than a Dodge SRT-4. They're both great cars, but I would rather have the V8 under my hood.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 AM   #6
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

1.5 liters is the size of a soft drink, not an engine. Imports are more about finesse and handling as well as economy...I say to hell with all that...I'll sacrifice ultra-tight handling for pulling the front wheels a foot off the ground...and economy doesn't bother me one lick. IN MY OPINION...any car the you have to put some form or combination of power adders to get into the low-13's is a waste.

I don't hate imports, I just don't like 4-cyl cars in general.....you give me a new civic and a complete NSX drivetrain and I'm going to have some fun.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
1.5 liters is the size of a soft drink, not an engine. Imports are more about finesse and handling as well as economy...I say to hell with all that...I'll sacrifice ultra-tight handling for pulling the front wheels a foot off the ground...and economy doesn't bother me one lick. IN MY OPINION...any car the you have to put some form or combination of power adders to get into the low-13's is a waste.

I don't hate imports, I just don't like 4-cyl cars in general.....you give me a new civic and a complete NSX drivetrain and I'm going to have some fun.

And that fineess and handling is why thinking about it in purely drag racing terms is ridiculous. You need to open your mind and truly experience cars like a BMW 2002, X1/9, Miata, etc in their proper environment: a road race track or slalom race track. Yes, gobs of power is fun, but so are high cornering speeds. Trust me, a Miata on sticky tires on an autocross course will feel as violent (and in many cases, feel faster than) a 9-10 second musclecar on the strip.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-08-2005, 04:36 PM   #8
ode94
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And that fineess and handling is why thinking about it in purely drag racing terms is ridiculous. You need to open your mind and truly experience cars like a BMW 2002, X1/9, Miata, etc in their proper environment: a road race track or slalom race track. Yes, gobs of power is fun, but so are high cornering speeds. Trust me, a Miata on sticky tires on an autocross course will feel as violent (and in many cases, feel faster than) a 9-10 second musclecar on the strip.

I agree that the 4cyl cars boogie around the track ! But you can have a V-8 muscle car that handles like it's on rails too. My vette corners insane, some of the muscle cars I've seen on the Hot Rod Power tour are built for that reason. A 1969 Camaro lowered 21/2 inches, full Hotchkis suspension with 17in wheels that's gonna screw around the track too. I guess as long as your getting that smile per mile factor! DRIVE ON !!!!!!!!!!
ode94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:20 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ode94
I agree that the 4cyl cars boogie around the track ! But you can have a V-8 muscle car that handles like it's on rails too. My vette corners insane, some of the muscle cars I've seen on the Hot Rod Power tour are built for that reason. A 1969 Camaro lowered 21/2 inches, full Hotchkis suspension with 17in wheels that's gonna screw around the track too. I guess as long as your getting that smile per mile factor! DRIVE ON !!!!!!!!!!

I've built and driven a lot of them, including a big block powered Fox Mustang with Global West suspension bits to pul over 1 G laterally.

Doesn't make me stop liking cars like my Fiat or other sports and GT cars like the original CRX Si or Miatas. I put a nearly 400 hp Ford V8 in my '86 RX7 sport and went autocrossing, but that doesn't mean that light, agile cars like an X1/9 aren't any fun...

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/rex1.MPG

As much cornering force the larger cars have, there is something to be said about lightweight, finesse, and agility.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-08-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

I would mauch rather have a car that could tool around a track then one that could go down the strip in 8-9 seconds.

But hey, thats just me.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:06 AM   #11
GirlieGurl
CF Newbie

After seeing and hearing some great muscle cars at a recent Super Chevy show--not to mention my mechanic's 9 sec. '76 Nova--I prefer the muscle cars. But I have ridden in the SRT-4 and wouldn't mind having one.

'95 Contour GL
-- SVT dual exhaust, SVT rims,
-- Coming soon CTA intake w/no mufflers.
-- She's not fast, but my next car will be.
GirlieGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 02:48 AM   #12
Zepplin89
CF Newbie

I would prefer any old muscle car. In the present day, they are hard to come by, which makes them unique. But that can be a con also, because unique=expensive. That is why i think that tuners have become more popular with younger drivers, and eventually every one because high school kids can't afford 150 bucks a week for gas. back in 1970, High school kids were tricking out camaro's and mustangs because they were cheap and easy to do. now high schoolkids are doing the same to JDM stuff for the same reasons.
Zepplin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 AM   #13
Wally
I Know More Than You

I think something like this would be a real buzz:

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/mini-single.htm fitted with the Hyabusa Turbo Suzuki engine.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:52 PM   #14
antiJDM
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I think something like this would be a real buzz:

http://www.zcars.org.uk/mini/mini-single.htm fitted with the Hyabusa Turbo Suzuki engine.

damn that's crazy!!
Old 03-27-2005, 04:33 PM   #15
DragonRider69
CF Newbie

I obviously prefer classic musclecars, BUT I can appreciate the technology, engineering and quality that goes into the import stuff... my daily driver is an Acura, and my motorcycle is a Honda. My last driver was a Volvo with a turbo four, I wish I had that car back, it was super fast and easy to make even faster...

Back in the late '60's and early '70's, it was an automotive milestone to get 1hp per cubic inch out of a production car, now they're getting 1hp per cubic centimetre... that's damn impressive! You get 4 bangers putting out the same hp as a big-block V8 in a car that's one-third the weight!

I saw a pay-per-view special years ago called "Imports vs. Domestic", it was drag racing of pimped out 4 bangers going against classic muscle. I sat down to watch this thinking, "let's see some muscle kick some ricer ass"! I was in for a big surprise, the imports crushed the muscle! Granted, they were all heavily modified, while the muscle cars were stock, but this was a few years ago and today, you can buy high hp stuff right from the dealer.

You still can't beat the sound, feel, launch and sheer coolness of a RWD muscle car though! Just my worth!