Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2005, 07:09 AM   #46
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_georgia_'04
some folks are getting around 100MPG in them and I believe I could do the same. But, I needed 5 seats for the family.
Have seen NO hybrids in my area. Do you have any Stats to back the 100mpg. The total amount I personally drive is probably 500 miles a year. My truck that I drive and would never consider getting rid of, gets about 9-10 mpg. What's base price for your Civic?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:27 AM   #47
DPelletier
CF Newbie

I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with Classic Cars, but what the heck!

The only comments I'll make is that there is some misinformation about diesels in the preceding posts.

- Ultra low sulphur diesel will be all that is available for on-road use in the US by 2007.

- most modern diesels don't smoke, smell or make much noise.

- There ARE many more cool diesels available in Europe than North America and the primary reason for that is the way the emmissions are calculated.

- I have three diesels currently. My new truck weighs 8,338 lbs, gets 20+mpg highway and has 325hp and 600 ft lbs of torque. I'm happy with it.

If economy was my main concern, I'd buy a diesel Volkswagen Golf (60mpg) before I'd buy a hybrid because;
- I think the VW is a nicer car than a Prius or an Insite
- The VW is less expensive to purchase
- Diesel engines are generally reliable and have great longevity. I would hesitate to imagine the repair bill to rebuild the electric engine in a Hybrid.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #48
lectroid
0000?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPelletier
I'm still not sure what any of this has to do with Classic Cars, but what the heck!

Dave
Absolutley nothing. I was kind of curious about the hybrids. I'm to much of a speed and power type person to go to a moped. But if push comes to shove(economy), I'd buy one. Maybe. Might be better off just getting a moped.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:06 PM   #49
Voda48
CF Lance Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lectroid
Absolutley nothing. I was kind of curious about the hybrids. I'm to much of a speed and power type person to go to a moped. But if push comes to shove(economy), I'd buy one. Maybe. Might be better off just getting a moped.

LOL. I am the same my friend. Just yesterday a co-workjer of mine was talking about getting a hybrid due to increases in gas. I just laughed and told her my Grand Cherokee would beat it off the line even if I was in reverse. I need power too.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:41 AM   #50
Hot_georgia_'04
CF Newbie

Voda48:
You are right in the Grand Cherokee speed; it's rated at 0-60 in about 7 seconds, which is around 3 seconds faster than the HCH in a sprint.
The JGC is rated at 15/20MPG and the HCH gets about 47MPG.
Your vehicle has more utility and power, which you need.
Me, I just wanted a high MPG commuter car. I've noticed gas edging up again. Today I filled the Grand Caravan and paid $1.89/G at Quick Trip. My $32 will go about 250 miles. My HCH would fill for under $20 and go for about 650 miles.

Thanks lectroid.
The highest Insight MPG I know of is 114MPG, driven by Wayne Gurdes (Alias xcel). He lives in the Chicago area and has a lifetime MPG average of above 90.
He frequents the Edmunds hybrid mssg board and greenhybrid.com. There are a few Insight drivers right on his heels.

I agree, if you have a vehicle and you like it then keep it. I've had a '59 Olds 98 and a 65 Chevy Biscayne, 65 Catalina, 69 Fury III, and a 64 Ford. I wish I still had them. My dream car is a factory fresh '58 Olds 98. They were redesigned in '59.
I paid $18.5K for my HCH in Jan '04. I paid an additional $900 for their 7yr/100K & 10yr/150K battery ext. warranty.

DPelletier:
Yes, there is much miss-info on both sides and I think both technologies are a good choice. Please let me point out some more common points of hybrid confusion.
I'm referring to the Honda system, which is different than the Toyota Prius. They deliver about the same MPG. It is more difficult to hypermile in the Toyota system. If you already know these points, just excuse.

1. Except for gasoline, they are completely self-sufficient. We don't recharge on the power grid... there is no plug even if we wanted to.
2. Hybrid batteries are an advanced Nimh similar to your notebook computer; the 144 D-size batteries collectively weigh about 80lb and take up about 2 cu. ft. of space. These batteries are recyclable, and are not listed as a toxic item according to the EPA. The computer system intelligently handles all battery charge level, except braking regen.
3. The primary concept of the electric motor isn't to improve MPG, but to bring the performance up to a reasonable level.
4. The size of the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) is main reason we get the great MPG. Curb weight is just under 3Klb, and has a 1.3L engine.
ICE is tricked out with VTEC, lean burn (Cuts mix ratio in half) and shuts down cylinders if they are not needed, such as while cruising.
5. Accelerating 0-60 is about 10 seconds. The electric Assist comes on proportionally to engine load. ICE and electric work collectively. Assist is off unless pulling.
6. My car will not drive on electric power alone. One good point of that is if the hybrid system fails I still drive the car.
7. Recharging the battery primarily comes while driving & coasting. Regen braking is over-rated and accounts for about 10%. If the battery is a little low, the drag on ICE is extremely light, and is recharged in 1-2 of miles. If the charge drops below about half the recharging drag is more, and drops the MPG by 5-7 for a couple of miles.
8. My CVT auto-transmission has no gears to shift through. It uses a metallic belt that runs over 2 variable diameter pullies. The computer determines load, engine speed, Assist and sets the ratio for optimum MPG.
9. AutoStop shuts the car off in most conditions at the stop sign. I'll drop 1-5MPG if the engine just runs. Starting is much different than regular cars. It uses the direct-coupled hybrid motor to spin the engine at ~1000RPM and is as smooth as if it had never stopped. It also has a conventional starter that is used if the pack is flat, or needs to be jumped off.
10. A few more things: The HCH looks like a regular car. They blend in with all the rest. Other MPG improving items: electronic PS eliminates engine load, it has no PS pump or alternator, specially designed alloy wheels and low rolling resistance tires, special air-directing front cowl, underside panels reduce drag, heat rejecting glass so the AC isn't used as often, etc etc etc.
HCH has the highest trim level and comes already fully loaded with many items that aren't available on other Civics’.

Honda has just released a press report that the '06 HCH is redesigned with both higher performance and higher MPG. Specs are yet to be released.
My lifetime average is about 58MPG and a few are even beating me. Most won't see those numbers, as the majority will see around 47.

Wow, sorry to bore you with such a novel!

Last edited by Hot_georgia_'04 : 02-07-2005 at 10:11 AM.
Hot_georgia_'04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:19 AM   #51
ToCkS
CF Newbie

ToCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 AM   #52
Alexpaths
CF Newbie

What the hell!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrDragsterPunk
hybrid cars suck........and i hate the nature saving enviromentists who wants everyone to start driving these electric powered shit boxes

I live in California, and I drive through smog everyday. There is no reason why you should be against hybrids. They are one of the oldest cars (other than steam) originating in the early 1900s. Refering to the Honda Accord Hybrid, they are extremely powerful; refering to trains, the diesel electric hybrid has alot of potential.

I deal with your kind everyday at school. The S-tuner or the classic rod guys who don't understand heads or tails about science, yet think they know everything about engines and performance (guess why the japanese are beating america in automotive technology).

Supercars aren't super because of tradition and conservatism, but involve the creative and progressive mind to apply new and renewed technology...

See the pict below, It's a Toyota Volta HYBRID...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toyota-volta.jpg (35.2 KB, 1 views)
Alexpaths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 03:37 AM   #53
Hot_georgia_'04
CF Newbie

I'm not sure about the progressive mind, but I think many of the folks who take that attitude against hybrid cars just lack information.

I admit not being well informed in performance car specifications or requirements, but am not going to jeer at those who do. (Or even act like it).

When gas reaches $2.50 to $3.00 per gallon by the end of summer I'll be glad that I made some good choices with my car, but I'm no better than anyone else.
We all pump.

Now.....ask me how to maximize fuel economy in whatever you may drive, and I might can help in that regards.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #54
boothe
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voda48
LOL. I am the same my friend. Just yesterday a co-workjer of mine was talking about getting a hybrid due to increases in gas. I just laughed and told her my Grand Cherokee would beat it off the line even if I was in reverse. I need power too.

Heh. My sentiments exactly. Hybrid sounds great, you all go get them, I'll stay with my SUVs and such. The world will still be better off, and you cna pay me to lug around your stuff.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 AM   #55
Hot_georgia_'04
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothe
Heh. My sentiments exactly. Hybrid sounds great, you all go get them, I'll stay with my SUVs and such. The world will still be better off, and you cna pay me to lug around your stuff.

Ford Escape is the first hybrid SUV, Ford has 4 other vehicles soon to follow.
Next year Ford releases its Mercury Mariner Hybrid SUV.

Toyota has recently displayed a new FTX full-size hybird V8 pickup truck and a FJ Cruiser sport SUV hybrid.

Lexus has their RX 400h hybrid SUV, also to release a new GS 450h hybrid high performance sedan.

Hyundai USA is due to release its Portico sports car v6 hybrid car.

How about a Mercedes S-Class Hybrid? Coming soon.

How about a 255HP Honda Accord Hybrid?
All the power of a 6 cyl but 4 cyl economy, the most powerful Accord sold today.

Many military trucks are going hybrid for up to 20% better economy:
http://www.wisinfo.com/northwestern/...19996232.shtml

My point is,
Hybrids aren't neccessarily slow or small, they just save you in fuel cost.
Last year alone I saved almost $2,500 in fuel cost over its replacement- a '94 Dodge Spirit that did 17MPG (Based on $1.85/gallon and 32K miles and 60MPG)

Last edited by Hot_georgia_'04 : 03-13-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:59 PM   #56
boothe
CF Addict

Well, good credentials. I will keep my eye on it more. I guess I have an outdated look on the whole hybrid thing.

Interesting to hear that the army is going that way too. Thanx.
boothe is offline   Reply With Quote