Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
mumin
CF Newbie

HP vs Torque

I know this is one of those questions that I can search online but I think I learn better when someone tellsm me stuff:P I wanted to know what is they difference between horse power and torque. What if there is more torque than horse power..if possible..and other way?
mumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:17 AM   #2
Import-tuner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumin
I know this is one of those questions that I can search online but I think I learn better when someone tellsm me stuff:P I wanted to know what is they difference between horse power and torque. What if there is more torque than horse power..if possible..and other way?
horsepower is used for top speed, torque is acceleration. so for 0-60 torque is better, and for lets say for a 1 mile staight track race H/P is better.
Import-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
ToCkS
CF Newbie

Diesel engines usually have more torque than horsepower.

Torque is a turning force. Imagine yourself turning a wrench.

Horsepower is a measurement of work in a given time. Specifically 33,000 foot pounds per minute is equal to one horsepower.

Last edited by ToCkS : 03-13-2005 at 06:12 AM.
ToCkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:59 AM   #4
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Import-tuner
horsepower is used for top speed, torque is acceleration. so for 0-60 torque is better, and for lets say for a 1 mile staight track race H/P is better.

Actually torque isn't for accelleration like you make it sound. If that was the case diesel engines would be owning all us gas guys, think about it.

Torque is turning force. The strength the motor is turning at, so it's relavent to how much you're going to be able to tow, or, how easy it is to maintain a speed, think of it that way.

Horsepower is relavent to accel/speed, the more horsies, the faster you're going to get from point A to point B. Think drag racing, you want a crazy amout of horse to get that beast to the other side of the track ASAP

It's actually a hard concept to explain, but once you understand it, it's really quite simple.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 03-13-2005 at 07:03 AM.
88GrandPrixSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #5
mumin
CF Newbie

Oh ok I get it.. There are upgrades that can give you horse power like better exhaust or air intake ...etc... are there upgrades to get more torque??
mumin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 07:05 AM   #6
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumin
Oh ok I get it.. There are upgrades that can give you horse power like better exhaust or air intake ...etc... are there upgrades to get more torque??

Stroker kits are pretty much the only ones aimed at torque. But really, you improve one, the other goes up as well.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
PeteBobJoe
CF Newbie

Torque is just a force in a twisting motion. Take for example a wrench or a bicycle pedal. You power the wrench and in turn it twists and gives off torque, you pedal the bicycle and you twist the wheels and go foreward.

Horsepower is just power. The more horsepower you haev the faster and more efficiently you'll go.

You can't have 1000 torque and only 100 HP. YOu have to have an even amount of both.
PeteBobJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #8
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

Take a look at these two cars
05' Ford Mustang: 4.0 liter 210 HP@5250rpm and 240 lb-ft touque
05' Acura RSX-S: 2.0 liter 210 HP@7800rpm and 142 lb-ft torque

Both cars put out the same horsepower, but Mustang has almost 100 lb-ft more torque than RSX-S, so then is it better?
Not necesary. Larger torque means you get more HP at lower rpm. For every dday driving, larger torque might be better, But on track, higher redline gives extra reving and better performance. and I think RSX runs faster 0-60m time...I counldnt find the info.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

damn, really helful, i oftenn wondered about that, so if one car has a higher hp at a lower rpm, then it redlines faster? which is worse for a quetermile then a same hp at a higher rpm?
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:37 AM   #10
ed_7702
CF Enthusiast

I don't think larger torque makes a difference in a quater mile though.
But, yeah with RSX-s you juust have to rev higher to get the same HP then with mustang because it peaks at 7800rpm. But after all, both cars gaet the same HP at their redlines.
ed_7702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM   #11
Inygknok
El del Supra

didnt we just discuss this last week in another thread?

Supra: To surpass or go beyond.
Inygknok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #12
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Something else VERY important to remember:

Torque is a measured force. HP is CALCULATED from that. Torque is work, hp is work over time. Without time, torque doesn't do anything. Without force, hp doesn't exist.

Torque is a twisting force (actually force perependicular to a rotation). When related to hp and the rotation of the crankshaft of an engine, they are intrinsically related. BELOW 5252 rpm, the torque figure will ALWAYS be greater than the hp figure. Above 5252 rpm, the hp will ALWAYS be greater than the torque figure. AT 5252 rpm, both figures will allways be identical.

Here's a fun page to read about it: http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

"Torque is the only thing that a driver feels."

""It is better to make torque at high rpm than at low rpm, because you can take advantage of *gearing*."

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:49 AM   #13
CarEXPERT
Banned

If you were on a chassie dyno and did the torque testingonly, you can calculate the horsepower by just knowing the torque right? So speed,aceleration,power is all done by torque right?

One more question.. if you measure the wheel hp in a car with 1000hp and a car with 100hp wich one would lose the most hp through the driveshafts?

A RSX S makes 200hp at crank and 180 atwheels so its a 10percent lost. So if a car with 1000hp at the crank, would it lose 100 hp through the driveshafts?
So basicly im asking if the more hp you have at the crank, the more hp you lose to the driveshafts assuming everything is the same.
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 10:09 PM   #14
VMJYogi
CF Addict

Well if someone had the same drivetrain and tranny in a 1000hp engine and 200hp engine then u'd never know which one would lose more power cause something would snap each and every time on that 1ghp beast. U couldn't test it. And to know which would lose the greater percentage it would generally be whichever had a longer distance to travel before it got to the wheels. you have to pass the power through the pistons, rods, crankshaft, flywheel, pullies, clutch, then the input shaft, layshaft, driveshaft, differential, axles, then finally tires. A rear wheel drive car loses more power than an FWD because the long driveshaft is heavier and requires more force to turn. AWD cars lose the most power because there are twice as many axles to spin and more differentials. Also whichever car has more things attached to the pullies will take up more power. And whether the clutch is in good condition or not or if its an automatic which generally loses 5% of power to the transmission to avoid the car dying when stopped. There are alot of factors which determine 'da business'.

Self-appointed anchorman of CF. I bring the news with a savvy tongue b*tch!
Now an ever prouder DEP of the USMC
I get fresh from Yankee Stadium to the Gardens i beg your pardon, stop it, my closet Macys mens department pants shirt scarf phone if you checkin get the scoop on the cologne belt and shoe section fur for fur baby baby you'll go stir crazy

Last edited by VMJYogi : 03-16-2005 at 08:43 PM.
VMJYogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 01:55 AM   #15
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMJYogi
Well if someone had the same drivetrain and tranny in a 1000hp engine and 200hp engine then u'd never know which one would lose more power cause something would snap each and every time on that 1ghp beast. U couldn't test it. And to know which would lose the greater percentage it would generally be whichever had a longer distance to travel before it got to the wheels. you have to pass the power through the pistons, rods, crankshaft, flywheel, pullies, clutch, then the input shaft, layshaft, driveshaft, differential, axles, then finally tires. A rear wheel drive car loses more power than an automatic because the long driveshaft is heavier and requires more force to turn. AWD cars lose the most power because there are twice as many axles to spin and more differentials. Also whichever car has more things attached to the pullies will take up more power. And whether the clutch is in good condition or not or if its an automatic which generally loses 5% of power to the transmission to avoid the car dying when stopped. There are alot of factors which determine 'da business'.
This post in particular, and the entire thread in general with the exception of ChrisV, is a perfect example of why this forum is unable to retain members who are willing and able to make intelligent and worthwhile contributions. There is SOME correct information and a BUNCH of absolute bullsh*t.

"A rear wheel drive car loses more power than an automatic". WTF is that even supposed to mean? Did I miss something that says RWD cars can no longer be automatics? "or if its an automatic which generally loses 5% of power to the transmission to avoid the car dying when stopped"! Huh? What? Please turn off your computer now and do not post here... EVER AGAIN. It not only makes my head hurt reading your blathering but I'm sure it reduces everyone's IQ who has the misfortune to gaze upon your words.

Just as a side note, what exactly does it mean to be the "Self-appointed anchorman of CF"? Is it just in your nature to type moronic things? While we're at it, what is there to be proud of being a dependent of the USMC? Are you unable to to stand on your own merits? Are you really that inane or are you just pretending to be an idiot? You sir are proof that stupid people shouldn't breed.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote