Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
2L8IWON
CF Newbie

M5 vs. S4

hey everyone, im new here and just wanted everyones honest opinion. Im in the market for a new vehicle and am loking to spend around 40-45k. The two main cars that I am considering are the M5 and the S4. I currently drive a mustang and live in Chicago. The two really dont go well together considering our snowy winters, but i have been making due. I feel that the strong point on the S4 is its quattro system, while thw m5 is a classic and I love the styling. Hoever, many say that the body style I am considering is somewhat dated, 2000-2004. What do you guys think. I also was looking at M3's and the Mercedes CL500, but am mostly concentrating on researching the aforementioned two.

thanks
2L8IWON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Oh this is a tough one...

I think it's hard to find a new S4 for under 45k since they MSRP just above that and w/markup and options...it gets high...so I'll say you are looking for a slightly used S4 but still the V8 one.

The E39 M5...wow...what can I say...one of my favorite cars. Power, looks, handling...incredible.

I guess we are also considering a E46 M3 but slightly used...also makes it very tough.

But if snowy roads will be in your future...then the S4 is really a good call and doesnt track from any driving pleasure. I have a friend who has one and he loves it. His other car is a decked out RX7 3rd gen. So he wouldnt settle for something crappy...he used to have the Biturbo S4 Quattro and he upgraded when the V8 came out...he said he loves it.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:58 AM   #3
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2L8IWON
hey everyone, im new here and just wanted everyones honest opinion. Im in the market for a new vehicle and am loking to spend around 40-45k. The two main cars that I am considering are the M5 and the S4. I currently drive a mustang and live in Chicago. The two really dont go well together considering our snowy winters, but i have been making due. I feel that the strong point on the S4 is its quattro system, while thw m5 is a classic and I love the styling. Hoever, many say that the body style I am considering is somewhat dated, 2000-2004. What do you guys think. I also was looking at M3's and the Mercedes CL500, but am mostly concentrating on researching the aforementioned two.

thanks

If you can find a new (2005) BMW M5 for $45k...let me know immediately...otherwise buy the S4 as that car is all you can afford between the two.

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:17 AM   #4
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

S4. The Quattro System is second to none in my opinion. The S4 is a smaller car, which you may want. Easier to deal with in the large cities. The S4 would just be cheaper in the long run I believe, and you would be running in a slightly smaller crowd with a Audi than those with BMWs. (Which is not bad, but having a S4 is cooler sounding to me than having a M5).

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:21 AM   #5
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianWheels
If you can find a new (2005) BMW M5 for $45k...let me know immediately...otherwise buy the S4 as that car is all you can afford between the two.

I dont think he was talking about the new M5...there's no way
Old 03-15-2005, 06:06 AM   #6
2L8IWON
CF Newbie

youre right, any idiot would know that I am actually talking about an 01-02 M5. As for everyone else, thanks for the input. I have been leaning more towards the M5 simply because it is faster and i feel more rare. I also fell like the interior is a tad bit more luxurious. Another problem I have with the S4 is that I have not been able to find one with the Navigation screen on the center console, which is standard with the M5. But, the quattro system just might sway me in the end!!!
Old 03-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #7
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

In my case...since I live in Florida...I'd choose the M5
Old 03-15-2005, 12:28 PM   #8
BMWGuru
CF Newbie

Take the S4 if you're going to be driving in snow.

Don't subject an M5 to salt, snow, and sludge found on chicago streets during wintertime.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:38 AM   #9
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:

thanks

Who's the idiot?

Old 03-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #10
2L8IWON
CF Newbie

Quote:
Who's the idiot?
you are you moron, by "new" i meant new to me. the difference in our deductions is that i mean it figuratively, whereas you read it literally. here it is in your sense: You need a new hobby other than trying to correct people on message boards loser.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:52 AM   #11
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
you are you moron, by "new" i meant new to me. the difference in our deductions is that i mean it figuratively, whereas you read it literally. here it is in your sense: You need a new hobby other than trying to correct people on message boards loser.

So you call me an idiot for your inability to convey your thoughts and or ideas accurately?

It is my responsibility to read your mind through your misguided words?

You, my unqualified to participate in a public forum for lack of writing skills friend, are the idiot!

Old 03-16-2005, 10:56 PM   #12
2L8IWON
CF Newbie

Quote:
So you call me an idiot for your inability to convey your thoughts and or ideas accurately?

It is my responsibility to read your mind through your misguided words?

You, my unqualified to participate in a public forum for lack of writing skills friend, are the idiot!
wow, your "supreme" writing skills must have gotten you pretty far in life. Let me quess your current status: You are probably about forty-something, still live with your mom, went to a small liberal arts college at which you exceled in the art of writing sonnets. You have been a pioneer in the dungeons and dragons lifestyle since you started making the costumes and selling them on ebay. You have never had an intimate encounter with anyone, except the time you caught your mom in the shower and "got wood". so keep up the grammar check on this awesome forum, while i go get my 2002 M5 with 32,000 miles that i paid $43000 for while you drive a 1986 piece of orange shit
Old 03-17-2005, 02:08 AM   #13
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
You are a dip shit. Bav was just trying to help and you act like an ass hole.

So you got the M5? Have fun with it.

Welcome back Bav... havent seen you on in a while..!

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 02:08 AM   #14
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

Quote:
wow, your "supreme" writing skills must have gotten you pretty far in life. Let me quess your current status: You are probably about forty-something, still live with your mom, went to a small liberal arts college at which you exceled in the art of writing sonnets. You have been a pioneer in the dungeons and dragons lifestyle since you started making the costumes and selling them on ebay. You have never had an intimate encounter with anyone, except the time you caught your mom in the shower and "got wood". so keep up the grammar check on this awesome forum, while i go get my 2002 M5 with 32,000 miles that i paid $43000 for while you drive a 1986 piece of orange shit

You're almost 100% correct! You are amazing.

BTW...that orange piece of shit would give the M5 a good run. Did you notice the power plant it is sporting?

Probably not...you must've taken all your time remembering the name of the color.

Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #15
Mchoi32
CF Newbie

Quote:

S. T. F. U.
Mchoi32 is offline   Reply With Quote