Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 01:11 AM   #1
shawn223
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6
torqueing my valve cover

My valve cover leaks and i need to know how much to torque it is there any website i can go to to find out how much to torque it
shawn223 is offline  
Old 03-15-2005, 01:16 AM   #2
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn223
My valve cover leaks and i need to know how much to torque it is there any website i can go to to find out how much to torque it


If it leaks you're probably going to have to replace the gasket.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 03-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
replace the gasket

the gaskets are cheap,and ask the auto parts place if they have a manual,they are worth the few dollars that they want.that way you do not have wrench monkeys torqing your wheel nuts to 250 ft lbs.. these gasket amounts vary from 25 to 50 ft lbs.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
the gaskets are cheap,and ask the auto parts place if they have a manual,they are worth the few dollars that they want.that way you do not have wrench monkeys torqing your wheel nuts to 250 ft lbs.. these gasket amounts vary from 25 to 50 ft lbs.


Way way lower than that. Around 80 inch-pounds.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
an what classifies a wrench monkey?
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #6
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanffAutoSpa_ap
an what classifies a wrench monkey?
A wrench monkey is someone who's stupid enough to...


Quote:
Originally Posted by the lobster
the gaskets are cheap,and ask the auto parts place if they have a manual,they are worth the few dollars that they want.that way you do not have wrench monkeys torqing your wheel nuts to 250 ft lbs.. these gasket amounts vary from 25 to 50 ft lbs.
...Torque valve cover gaskets to between 25 and 50 "ft lbs". A wrench monkey might also be someone who isn't smart enough to know that you torque to lb/ft or lb/in.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 02:46 AM   #7
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Way way lower than that. Around 80 inch-pounds.

Yah, I've never heard of a valve cover needing to be torqued 25-50lbs. Nor have I ever seen someone break out a torque wrench for it. Just make it good and snug.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #8
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Good God almighty!!! I thought everyone knew all valve covers were the same.
The proper specs is 35ft.4in. lbs and is done with a torx wrench!!!
thefonz is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
DodgeRida67
Banned
 
DodgeRida67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Jackson, Georgia
Posts: 2,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
A wrench monkey is someone who's stupid enough to...



...Torque valve cover gaskets to between 25 and 50 "ft lbs". A wrench monkey might also be someone who isn't smart enough to know that you torque to lb/ft or lb/in.


It's Foot-Pounds. Using that would be "85 Foot-Pounds." I'm not sure if you were saying it would be "85 Pounds-Feet" or not, but if so that is wrong.
DodgeRida67 is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 AM   #10
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper
 
BanffAutoSpa_ap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
Posts: 1,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Yah, I've never heard of a valve cover needing to be torqued 25-50lbs. Nor have I ever seen someone break out a torque wrench for it. Just make it good and snug.

with alot of things tight enough to hold but not tight enough to strip the threads is fine, but with gaskets and mating flanges, if you can do it with a torque wrench then by god do it with a torque wrench, everyone says fel-pro cork is crap or (insert company name here) is crap , a gasket seal is only as good as the installer. even torque across a valve cover is crucial because you can warp it easily or flatten the gasket very easily. these gaskets will work properly if installed properly
__________________
Despite the high cost of living, it remains very popular.
BanffAutoSpa_ap is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 04:45 AM   #11
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice
 
vwhobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Redneck Hell
Posts: 8,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
It's Foot-Pounds. Using that would be "85 Foot-Pounds." I'm not sure if you were saying it would be "85 Pounds-Feet" or not, but if so that is wrong.
Yeah, sorry I didn't make it simpler for you kiddies to understand but that IS in fact what I was saying. However as an American it's your right to be wrong on a public forum... A right you continually seem intent to exercise.

The correct measurement terminology is lb/ft, lb/in, oz/in, etc. It matters not if you're talking about a torque measurement taken from an engine on a dynomometer or if you're installing valve cover gaskets. No matter how many times you repeat wrong information (something you have elevated to a fine art), it is still wrong information.

Here are a couple of examples of what I'm talking about. The first is from a website of the premier torque measuring tool manufacturer in the US and maybe the world. Never heard of them? Only because you're not smart enough to know that they've been making torque wrenches for various companies, including Snap-On, for years.

http://www.torqwrench.com/Info/FAQ.html

Here's a site you should be very familiar with. It's the one you still claim that I plagiarized, even though you know that's incorrect as well. No matter how many times you say it (the sky is falling, the sky is falling) it doesn't make it so. At any rate, if you spent as much time reading the article as you do lying about it you might already be aware of this information.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/868/

So here's the deal. Before you make an attempt to correct me, make sure you have the facts. Once again you've assumed that you know something... And once again you've proven in a very public way that you don't. Remember that the long time members of this forum can still recall when you where as bad as CarExpert... and you're not much better now. DildoRida67, or maybe Chicken Little, is back! Have a wonderful day, and don't forget to attempt to flame me. I'll be waiting for it, you're so very predictable.
__________________
Thanks for the pic, jedimario.

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 AM   #12
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak
 
88GrandPrixSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Regina, Sask., Canada
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwhobo
The correct measurement terminology is lb/ft, lb/in, oz/in, etc. It matters not if you're talking about a torque measurement taken from an engine on a dynomometer or if you're installing valve cover gaskets. No matter how many times you repeat wrong information (something you have elevated to a fine art), it is still wrong information.

And newton/meters, and kg/cm, gram/m.. etc etc. I've never seen them used in any applications, but they are there... And probably will start being used in the short future due to the fact that everything is going metric.
__________________
88GrandPrixSE is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 AM   #13
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
wheel nuts not torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
Way way lower than that. Around 80 inch-pounds.


the 250 ft lbs was not for the valve cover gasket,I was making reference to the guys at canadian tire that torqued my WHEEL nuts to 250 lbs.do to the overwhelming response in a smart way, I re- read my original answer,and I said 25-50 ft/lbs. that is too high.ESPECIALLY AN ALUMINUM ENGINE.the exact amount will be found with the manufacturer of your engine.AND I stick with the engineers at haynes on that one,with ft/lb.see page 2a1 isbn# 1 56392 212 6 manual.its for a 1987 3.0 l ford v6 the valve cover bolts are 6-8 ft/lbs ,NOT LB/FT.if you torque a bolt down,the torque remains ,maybe it is different for something that generates torque.hmmm.
The valve cover gaskets vary, some might be 8 ft lbs.SOME 12,and some big engines are more than that. I did not think it was so important to specify lb/ft or ft/lbs as to the reference of the fact that the haynes manual I am reading for the 1985 thru 1995 sable,says FT/LBS for ALL THE TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS. SO DOES THE MANUAL FOR MY OTHER CAR. I know pilots out there who are so expert that they skip using a checklist.THEY ARE EXPERT.Well I have been flying aircraft for 26 years and still use one.They are usually the ones that end up getting killed over a stupid mistake.If someone works on cars everyday,a torque wrench might seem to be a waste of time especially for flat rate work,but when a guy is trying to save a dollar,WHY BEND A VALVE COVER ?or go thru 4 gaskets?.furthermore..some designs do not use a gasket but a sealing compound.better quality gaskets are laminated.Do BMW torqe specs say"tight"? A LITTLE TOO MUCH ?OOPS
There are varying degrees of self proficiency out there,such as :"tight and then a quarter turn".thats why i just replaced a stripped oil pan on a 2000 vw 2.o because someone stripped the fine pitch oil pan bolt.IT IS AN ALUMINUM PAN.the bottom line is this:if you want to guess,thats o.k..it comes with CHANCES..BUT WHEN THE ENGINES ARE ASSEMBLED AT THE FACTORY,they use torque wrenches,robots,computerized torque jigs etc. The torque settings are there for a reason,especially for the home fix it guy.I TELL YOU SOMETHING, my father was a jet turbine overhaul engineer,and EVERY BOLT on that aircraft was done right.If cars were given the same care and nuts subject to vibration were wired and drilled,LIKE AIRCRAFT half of these problems would not exist anyway.You take any car on the road and if it has seen 3 years worth of warranty work,and you pull it apart,every goddamn bolt will be out of spec.,that was ever touched .just think,....all those broken bleeder screws. I WORK ON CARS FOR FUN,BUT I AM A PERFECTIONIST AND I DO NOT GIVE A @##$#@! IF IT TAKES A FEW MINUTES EXTRA.,BECAUSE IT IS DONE PERFECT.

Last edited by the lobster : 03-16-2005 at 12:23 PM. Reason: wow what a response.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
the lobster
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 263
forgot something

wonder what the valve cover specs are on a lycoming 500 series aircraft engine? think they only torque those bolts to 80 inches so they can fall off?.
its a 4 cylinder air cooled engine producing 200 horsepower.gaurantee you that this engine needs more than the 8 ft/lbs in the 3 litrev6 and thats why i said to guy originally,CHECK THE MANUAL......there ARE valve cover bolts that
high ,i am going to waste some time and post all of them when i find them...
in the 25 to 50 ft/lb range.
the lobster is offline  
Old 03-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
Wally
I Know More Than You
 
Wally's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Oz
Posts: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
And newton/meters, and kg/cm, gram/m.. etc etc. I've never seen them used in any applications, but they are there... And probably will start being used in the short future due to the fact that everything is going metric.

It's not a quotient so its Nm, sometimes annoted N-m and no pesky conventions like ft-lbs for tension and lbs-ft for torque or whichever way it is. We stopped using the FPS system in 1966 and moved to the MKS system.
__________________
"She gave me a look only a mother could give a child."
Wally is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.