Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Community Central > Feedback & Suggestions
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2005, 01:59 AM   #61
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarEXPERT
watever...sonofabitch.. cant say one fuking thing nice to me..

Aww are you mad because I told you the truth. Or would you rather me kiss your ass and say "Good job CarEXPERT, I see you're improving with your meanigless questions". Right... cuz thats not going to happen. I'm not going to lie to you and say you know basics when you don't know jack shit about cars. Why lie to you when I can just tell you the truth.

You're a young kid, whos to eager to learn something he can't understand. In the process of trying to take bites off the desert that you can't chew you're completly ignoring what was intended when the plate was put in front of you. Your school work.

Smog checks? Haha, yeah right. Why not work at McDonalds. Working as a mechanic at a dealership has its ups and downs. However you need to have some sort of credentials or an ASE certification. Thats maybe if you wanna work at some normal average dealership. Anything that deals with high end cars like BMW, Audi, Mercedes, and Infiniti will need special training.

There is no such thing as a "Mechanics Degree". Most mechanics don't have degrees they have certifications. Automotive Technician is the proper term you are looking for. That usually requires 2 years or less of training and teaching. Of course all of these jobs are just the foot soldiers of the automotive industry. The real big boys are the Automotive and Mechanical Engineers.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:50 AM   #62
Import-tuner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Yea thats what I thought. But is haveing a 3.0 good or should I try a little harder. When they look at my shool grades for the job, do they look at my GPA or my math also cause i have like a D in math.
What are some of the higher paying jobs, smog checks, and working in dealers are one right?
Can I open my own garage with a mechanic degree?
By the way thanks Import tuner..
When they look at your resume they normally care mostly about math and vocational arts grades. 3.0 isnít that bad but a 3.5 is a lot better. Remember most of the people youíre competing with are some of the stupider people, no offence to them or mechanics, but it is the truth. So if you have a 1.0 higher GPA then them they while definitely choose you over them. Some of the better jobs are working at dealers. Starting your own garage would be very hard and expensive. You would need nearly $200,000+ to start your business. The first two years would be very hard and you wouldnít make much money. Not to mention the automotive world is very competitive and itís all about your reputation. I wouldnít advice opening your own place right away, get about 10 years of experience first. Going into the military isnít a bad idea either. You can learn your craft and get paid for it, so if you want look into it at GOARMY.com
Import-tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 08:01 PM   #63
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Aww are you mad because I told you the truth. Or would you rather me kiss your ass and say "Good job CarEXPERT, I see you're improving with your meanigless questions". Right... cuz thats not going to happen. I'm not going to lie to you and say you know basics when you don't know jack shit about cars. Why lie to you when I can just tell you the truth.

You're a young kid, whos to eager to learn something he can't understand.

DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 11:22 PM   #64
Wally
I Know More Than You

I understand where you guys are coming from, but if this truely is a young lad then you must admire his desire to get correct info rather than the nonsense his mates will undoubtedly be wheeling out :- like most boys do at that age.

My advice to you CarExpert is the same advice I gave my kids "Knowledge is Power". And "the benefit of having schools and teachers is that they can provide information that has taken thousands of years and billions of lives to acquire, so you don't have to work it out yourself. Take advantage of that opportunity".

There are two scholastic disciplines that will allow you the confidence to lend your hand at almost anything... Good English and Good Maths. They both allow you to communicate and formulate. So if you are weak on the ground in these subjects, get some tuition while your life is relatively uncomplicated.

Then set a goal never to stop going to school, be it your college system, university, training institutes, trade conventions, etc. If you are thinking there is a succinct end to school you will do bare minimum to get through and sacrifice your opportunities for later life when you realise that you really didn't know it all and need admission to schooling again. If you tried and failed you took the wrong street, you just need to get back on the right one.

If you don't think you have the ability to be outstanding, think again. I have mentored floundering engineers, apprentices and tradesmen and seen them take out national awards for their efforts. Many now run successful companies both here, in Europe and the USA. All you need is the desire to succeed and keeping yourself out of safe waters.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #65
CarEXPERT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I understand where you guys are coming from, but if this truely is a young lad then you must admire his desire to get correct info rather than the nonsense his mates will undoubtedly be wheeling out :- like most boys do at that age.

My advice to you CarExpert is the same advice I gave my kids "Knowledge is Power". And "the benefit of having schools and teachers is that they can provide information that has taken thousands of years and billions of lives to acquire, so you don't have to work it out yourself. Take advantage of that opportunity".

There are two scholastic disciplines that will allow you the confidence to lend your hand at almost anything... Good English and Good Maths. They both allow you to communicate and formulate. So if you are weak on the ground in these subjects, get some tuition while your life is relatively uncomplicated.

Then set a goal never to stop going to school, be it your college system, university, training institutes, trade conventions, etc. If you are thinking there is a succinct end to school you will do bare minimum to get through and sacrifice your opportunities for later life when you realise that you really didn't know it all and need admission to schooling again. If you tried and failed you took the wrong street, you just need to get back on the right one.

If you don't think you have the ability to be outstanding, think again. I have mentored floundering engineers, apprentices and tradesmen and seen them take out national awards for their efforts. Many now run successful companies both here, in Europe and the USA. All you need is the desire to succeed and keeping yourself out of safe waters.

DSMer, please define what "basic" is to you.. because I think I pretty much know the basics.

Thanks Wally for giving me your adivce. I know I will not be going to a university in California so when I go to regullar college, how many years should I take? Should I just take 2 years and leave? Next year when im a junior, Im gonna take some automotive classes because I will have less classes, math, english,history, chemistry, will all be the classes ill have. So when I graduate college, should I take more classes, What do I need to get a certificate or whatever it its?
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 02:23 AM   #66
StiMan
CF Retired Post Whore

Quote:
DSMer, I dont give a shit what you say cas I will achive my goal.Cars are deffinatly for me and I cant see myself do anyother thing. Once I take automotive classes, I will be much smarter but right now I just know the basics and functions. Have you notice my questions are more like "why" now?

Godaus, thanks for that encouragement and advice.. But I have a 2.8GPA in school now and I have like a D or F in algebra 2. When you go for the job, do they look at your skills, your GPA, or your math grade? If I have a 3.0GPA will that help me make more money. What kind of automotive jobs can I pick from.. Like is working in car dealers make more moeny or should I open my own garage and
My dad told me that I should get somekind of mechanic degree and open my own garage and fix peoples cars when they need? What about smog check job.. I heard they make a lot of moeny. But for all these jobs, do you need a good GPA or just skills? Thanks godaus
CarExpert: You definately need to work on your grades in order to get a good enough education to work with cars, and make a lot of money doing it. I do my best in Math and Science in order to be able to be a Mechanical Engineer and design cars. Just work on your grades some more and you will make more money. I am in Algebra II now... if you need help I guess Ill help, if I can.

StiMan is offline   Reply With Quote