FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2004, 04:46 AM   #31
Leuthesius
CF Newbie

Where did you get your connecting rods for that engine?? X.X
Old 12-15-2004, 08:45 PM   #32
DPelletier
CF Newbie

My last musclecar was a 1970 442 W-30. These engines were good for approximately 440hp stock. My suggestion for more power in a '74 Olds 455 is to consider replacing the heads as others have mentioned. My F casting '70 W-30 heads were great heads but good luck finding some now. The C castings are also very good, but getting rare too. I am considering building another Olds 455 and would be using the Edelbrock aluminum castings. Car Craft did an article on the Olds 455 using these heads, a Torker intake, 750 demon carb, comp cams XE274H camshaft and hooker headers. Results were 496 hp and 559 ft lbs. New heads are somewhat pricey, but you'll never get big power out of the stock '74 smog heads.

Cheers,
Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 11:21 PM   #33
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Oh, and if you ever find a '68 - '72 455 Toronado engine, they have the big valves, too (same as the W-30's). Oldsmobile definitely has big blocks and small blocks although the blocks are physically the same size except for the taller deck height of the big blocks (and correspondingly wider intake manifolds). 307/330/350/403's are small blocks and 400's (both 39 degree and 45 degree bank angle engines), 425's and 455's are big blocks. Pontiac 350's on the other hand are big blocks.

Dave
DPelletier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:59 AM   #34
Chopper_262
CF Newbie

Since this thread is talking about enhancing Olds 455's, I am looking for some tips/advice on fitting this big block motor in a rusted 1979 Chevy Scottsdale 10. My dad has two of these old monster motors (From two '76 olds 98's), and I have been told that the bell housing and the motor mounts are WAY different from the Chevy 350 and 454. Does anyone have any advice on a CHEAP way to make things fit? My Scottsdale is a rusty piece, and will never see a license plate again (It's is just an old farm truck).

Also...

My dad wants to put the other 455 (in much better shape) into a 1967 Chevrolet two ton, which is registered and used for hauling cattle/grain/lumber on a regular basis. Under the hood there is enough space to sleep beside the straight-six motor , yet our local mechanic still says the bell housing won't fit .

Are there any mounts that could be made/bought to make it match the frame, and PLEASE, how can the chassis fit the tranny withought saws all on both the trucks mentioned? I also hear the oil pan shapes differ between the Buick and Olds 455, and the Chev 454 . Can I use the motors that I have?

Chopper_262
Chopper_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #35
DPelletier
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper_262
Since this thread is talking about enhancing Olds 455's, I am looking for some tips/advice on fitting this big block motor in a rusted 1979 Chevy Scottsdale 10. My dad has two of these old monster motors (From two '76 olds 98's), and I have been told that the bell housing and the motor mounts are WAY different from the Chevy 350 and 454. Does anyone have any advice on a CHEAP way to make things fit? My Scottsdale is a rusty piece, and will never see a license plate again (It's is just an old farm truck).

Also...

My dad wants to put the other 455 (in much better shape) into a 1967 Chevrolet two ton, which is registered and used for hauling cattle/grain/lumber on a regular basis. Under the hood there is enough space to sleep beside the straight-six motor , yet our local mechanic still says the bell housing won't fit .

Are there any mounts that could be made/bought to make it match the frame, and PLEASE, how can the chassis fit the tranny withought saws all on both the trucks mentioned? I also hear the oil pan shapes differ between the Buick and Olds 455, and the Chev 454 . Can I use the motors that I have?

Chopper_262

Well there is a way and yes the belhousing and motormounts are different on an Olds and a Chevy. I'm not sure why you'd want to spend the time on a rusty truck that will never be licenced, but.............

early 80's GM trucks with the 5.7l diesel utilize an Oldsmobile 350 conversion. These trucks have the appropriate tranny, motormounts, etc. Since both big block and small block Oldsmobile engines share the same motormounts and bellhousings, substituting a 455 in place of a 5.7 diesel is very easy. These trucks are getting harder to find these days, but since the 5.7 diesel is generally considered the worst diesel ever to be installed in a light truck, they aren't exactly "in demand". You would need to find a whole parts truck or you could find the correct transmission and buy the factory diesel motormounts.

Dave