Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
guitarman19853
CF Newbie

Question SVT Contour Questions...

Is the insurance higher for the SVT contour V.S. say... a regular sedan? I know it is a performance car... but maybe they dont recognise it?

I would also like to hear any comments or complaints about this car that anyone might have.

Thanks!
guitarman19853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman19853
Is the insurance higher for the SVT contour V.S. say... a regular sedan? I know it is a performance car... but maybe they dont recognise it?

I would also like to hear any comments or complaints about this car that anyone might have.

Thanks!

A lot depends on your age. For me, it was about the same (though replacement cost is higher, so that portion of the insurance can be higher).

As Iv' said before, watch the water pump. they had a problem with vanes breaking up. Replacemts are inexpensive, and contours.org has a complete article on how to do it right, along with part numbers. Other than that, it's really a great car! Loved mine!

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
guitarman19853
CF Newbie

anyone else?

plus does anyone know anything about the reliability of this car? i know that the standard contours of the same years were... not so good... I was wondering if the SVT is the same way.

The only reason why i'm trying to find this stuff out is because im trying to convince my father that the SVT is a good car... cuz he wont let me "foolishly" spend my money on a car that wont be reliable... and he thinks that a honda civic, toyota corolla or *cringe* a Hyundai Elantra would be a better, more reliable car.

Maybe someone that knows about this car can point me to other forums or websites with reviews and reliability statistics about this car... or any website with information would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 03-30-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Like I said, go to contours.org.

I had zero problems with mine in the 32k miles I had it. the only real problem area with them is that water pump, which is an across teh board V6 Contour problem.

But most Contours were quite reliable, so I don't know where you "heard" that they weren't. The SVT was recommended by most major magazines, even as a used car special. Anyone who owns one loves it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-30-2005, 03:35 PM   #5
guitarman19853
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Like I said, go to contours.org.

I had zero problems with mine in the 32k miles I had it. the only real problem area with them is that water pump, which is an across teh board V6 Contour problem.

But most Contours were quite reliable, so I don't know where you "heard" that they weren't. The SVT was recommended by most major magazines, even as a used car special. Anyone who owns one loves it. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

consumer reports, in their car issue, lists the contour as a used car to avoid.
Old 03-30-2005, 03:41 PM   #6
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman19853
consumer reports, in their car issue, lists the contour as a used car to avoid.

And Consumer Reports had different ratings for the Eclipse and Talon, even though the cars are identical other than badges, and were built on the same assembly line.

These are not toasters. I mean, if you don't want to listen to an owner, why bother asking? the fact is, SVT owners wil tell you, the cars are great cars, and so far have been as reliable as any others. They are hard to find on the used car market, as the owners don't usually want to give them up.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 03-30-2005, 05:11 PM   #7
Nichol Bolas
CF Newbie

Usually, they rate them as cars not to buy because of liabilities with the car. They listed the Ford Explorer as one, and my mom owned one; after crashing it, I found out why. Just minor damage completely torqued the unibody, and they totalled it. They're fine as long as you don't wreck them, but I still wouldn't buy them because of that reason.
Nichol Bolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 06:19 PM   #8
guitarman19853
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
And Consumer Reports had different ratings for the Eclipse and Talon, even though the cars are identical other than badges, and were built on the same assembly line.

These are not toasters. I mean, if you don't want to listen to an owner, why bother asking? the fact is, SVT owners wil tell you, the cars are great cars, and so far have been as reliable as any others. They are hard to find on the used car market, as the owners don't usually want to give them up.

yeah i know what you mean about availability on one of these. but i have found one about 150 miles away from me that i could potentially get. good price. thanks for all your advice. and reading the forums on contour.org helped alot too
Old 03-30-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichol Bolas
Usually, they rate them as cars not to buy because of liabilities with the car. They listed the Ford Explorer as one, and my mom owned one; after crashing it, I found out why. Just minor damage completely torqued the unibody, and they totalled it. They're fine as long as you don't wreck them, but I still wouldn't buy them because of that reason.

Most cars are fine as long as you don't wreck them. And most unit construction cars give up their bodywork and structure to save the passengers. Kind of like how Indy cars and F1 cars come all apart in minor crashes to dissapate the energy. That's the point. the CAR absorbs the crrash energy instead of the occupants. In the old days, the cars resisted the crash energy, and the occupants absorbed most of it, which was bad.

Not buying one because it may be totalled if you crash it is simply ludicrous.

www.midatlantic7s.com