Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2005, 02:30 AM   #1
GrandAmFreak
CF Newbie

Question RB26DETT Swap into 1997 Grand Am?

How do I go about swapping a Skyline engine into my car and make it rear wheel drive?

Do not laugh at what you do not know!

Last edited by GrandAmFreak : 06-27-2005 at 03:16 AM.
GrandAmFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 02:48 AM   #2
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

Probably not worth the headache...it's gonna be A SHIZZLOAD of money

You are probably better off selling the Grand Am and getting a 5.0 Mustang w/the money
Old 04-12-2005, 02:54 AM   #3
carls47807
CF Freak

you go about it buy buying a skyline engine and transmission, putting your grand am on a decent frame (mustang?) and tossing in about 20,000 and thousands of hours in labor, and 150 rolls of welding wire..
carls47807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:37 AM   #4
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandAmFreak
How do I go about swapping a Skyline engine into my car and make it rear wheel drive?

The engine will more than likley fit. Fabricated motor mounts and some new wireing. However you'll have more of a problem of converting to RWD. You'll need the 5 or 6-Speed transmission from a Skyline. In order to have the transmission fit, because your car is adapted for the small confines of a transaxle you're more than likley going to need to cut a hole through the firewall and under the center of the dash to allow for fitment of the transmission.

You're also going to need a RWD rear end that will fit under the GrandAm. Preferably one from GM, although other rear ends will work. I'm thinking Camaro or GTO. Any RWD rear end that will fit with a LSD should work. I don't know what the hell this guy is talking about with "putting your Grand Am on a Mustang Fram" as the cars are unibodys. Custom driveshaft to fit the Skyline transmission and the rear end. These are just the basics. Most of your fabrication work will come from mounting the rear end, brackets for the engine, and brackets for the transmission.

It would be alot easier if you have a Manual car to begin with, although you can convert your car from Automatic to Manual as you'll be removing the transmission as well. This would be a highly customized job and if you can't do about 80% of this work yourself or witht he help of people willing to do it for free you're looking at a very pricey job. A Skyline Motor, Tranny, and ECU can be had for a littler over $4500. A rear end can be bought for arround $800-1200 or taken off a salvaged car for alot cheaper. You're going to run into a lot of metal fabrication and your rear end will more than likely need a suspension. Always have some extra money on the side for "unexpectedicies", as I like to call them.

The bulk of the project is going to be the Skyline Motor, Tranny, and ECU. Depending on how cheap you can get the Skyline powerplant will decide on how cheap the project can be.

...Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. It's just that yours is stupid...
DSMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
carls47807
CF Freak

yes, the cars are unibody.

so when you cut the middle of the firewall out and a huge section out of the center of the car back to where the axle is going to be you are going to lose all the structural integrity of the vehicle. thus making it a necessity to fabricate it to fit a sturdy frame. starting with a manual car to begin with really will not make much of a difference, because the butcher job you are doing will result in cutting most of the floor pans out anyways. the only advantage may be having the clutch pedal, but that would most likely serve useless anyways.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:56 AM   #6
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by carls47807
yes, the cars are unibody.

so when you cut the middle of the firewall out and a huge section out of the center of the car back to where the axle is going to be you are going to lose all the structural integrity of the vehicle. thus making it a necessity to fabricate it to fit a sturdy frame. starting with a manual car to begin with really will not make much of a difference, because the butcher job you are doing will result in cutting most of the floor pans out anyways. the only advantage may be having the clutch pedal, but that would most likely serve useless anyways.

Did you just expect the hole thats cut through the middle to be left open for the world to view? No you fabricate sturdy metal to cover the hole. Kind of how RWD unibodys are made. You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you?

Nonsense, any less installation of anything will make the job easier. If he allready has a clutch to begin with there won't be any need of installing one, thus making the job easier. A+B+C will always be more work than A+B.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:05 AM   #7
carls47807
CF Freak

Dsmer - "A+B+C will always be more work than A+B."

but what if A is someone like yourself, B is your vehicle, and C is some tid-bit of automotive knowledge. Would C really make more work for you?

Didn't think so skippy.

dsmer - "You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you? "

and i actually don't own a mustang, sorry.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:18 AM   #8
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Dsmer - "A+B+C will always be more work than A+B."

but what if A is someone like yourself, B is your vehicle, and C is some tid-bit of automotive knowledge. Would C really make more work for you?

Didn't think so skippy.

dsmer - "You surley did'nt think that hump in your Mustangs floor was there for asthetic purposes only now did you? "

and i actually don't own a mustang, sorry.

No matter what way you put it, if you have something extra to do its more work. Regardless to how insignificant the work is. I don't care if the last part of the directions are "scratch your ass", its still more work. If you can't grasp that then you lack more common sense than I originally thought.

No one said you owned a Mustang. I was using it as an example from your previous statements of "using a mustang frame". The same area alloted for the driveshaft in a Mustang can be fabricated on another unibody without the space. How the fuk else did you think it gets there? I'm sure Ford just stole a GM chassis because they were almost as stupid as you and could'nt conclude that by simply molding and welding flat metal they could create a channel for the driveshaft to fit..

OR

Maybe they just were smart enough to say, hey metal bends we can create a channel on our own instead of stealing an entire unibody from another car. Yeah thats the ticket right there. Because not everyone is an idiot like you, people happen to fabricate metal instead of just borrowing entire unibody chassis.

Old 04-12-2005, 04:24 AM   #9
carls47807
CF Freak

[quote=DSMer]No matter what way you put it, if you have something extra to do its more work. Regardless to how insignificant the work is. I don't care if the last part of the directions are "scratch your ass", its still more work. If you can't grasp that then you lack more common sense than I originally thought.

hmm, but wouldn't borrowing an already made chassy eliminate the "C" from your clever little analogy, leaving only "A + B", thus speeding up the process. and we all know you would be an -idiot- not to use a pre-fabricated unibody instead of making it yourself, right?

as far as ford engineer's being stupid, i tend not to belittle those making exponentially more money than i do/ever will.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:34 AM   #10
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

[quote=carls47807]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
No matter what way you put it, if you have something extra to do its more work. Regardless to how insignificant the work is. I don't care if the last part of the directions are "scratch your ass", its still more work. If you can't grasp that then you lack more common sense than I originally thought.

hmm, but wouldn't borrowing an already made chassy eliminate the "C" from your clever little analogy, leaving only "A + B", thus speeding up the process. and we all know you would be an -idiot- not to use a pre-fabricated unibody instead of making it yourself, right?

as far as ford engineer's being stupid, i tend not to belittle those making exponentially more money than i do/ever will.

Explain to me how would using the entire unibody from a Mustang aid in a RWD conversion to a GrandAM? What do you plan to do with the two? I'm dying to hear this.

Only a fool would belittle himself by accepting that an engineer at Ford will always be greater than he is. If everyone had your attitude then Ford would be the greatest car you can buy. Fortunatley people in this world have faith that they can be greater than the allready great....

So I'm waiting for your elaborate plan of using a Mustang unibody. Please enlighten me...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:38 AM   #11
carls47807
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMer
Explain to me how would using the entire unibody from a Mustang aid in a RWD conversion to a GrandAM? What do you plan to do with the two? I'm dying to hear this.

Only a fool would belittle himself by accepting that an engineer at Ford will always be greater than he is. If everyone had your attitude then Ford would be the greatest car you can buy. Fortunatley people in this world have faith that they can be greater than the allready great....

So I'm waiting for your elaborate plan of using a Mustang unibody. Please enlighten me...

The "ever will" was pertaining to yourself. When i become more successful than ford engineers, you may hear me call them stupid.

In my spare time i'll draw up blue prints for this ridiculous conversion, and be sure to run you through every step of the way. In the mean time, however, you can find me chillaxin with your mother.

now on-to better things.
Old 04-12-2005, 04:51 AM   #12
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
The "ever will" was pertaining to yourself. When i become more successful than ford engineers, you may hear me call them stupid.

In my spare time i'll draw up blue prints for this ridiculous conversion, and be sure to run you through every step of the way. In the mean time, however, you can find me chillaxin with your mother.

now on-to better things.

Seeing as that you have to draw up blueprints, you forfiet your stand. If you can't explain to me in words how you would use it then it surley won't be any easier than just molding your own metal to fit said hole opening. It is evidently clear that you can't properly comprehend the english language as the "idiot" I was referring to was not a Ford engineer. It was you, but surley I could'nt expect someone of your intelligence level to lift that piece of information now could I?

While you restort to your "mother" comments, I merely laugh at your idiocy. Only a child would say such things...

Old 04-12-2005, 04:54 AM   #13
carls47807
CF Freak

and your grammar/choice of words completely speak for themselves.
Old 04-12-2005, 03:25 PM   #14
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

This is silly.

One, why use4 a Mustang floorpan if you're not going to use mustang parts in the car? it's just as easy to get older Camaro or Malibu floor pans and cut them down to size and end up with the mounting points for the rear end... of course, that's the hard way to do it anyhow. It's easier to make a rear subframe from rectangular tubing, and bend flat sheetmetal around the new driveshaft and trans tunnel.

But before we get to that bit...

The RB26 is an inline 6 cyl. It's fairly tall and quite long. Longer than even a Chevy V8. In fact, in a Grand Am, if you put the front of the engine at the radiator, it would be taller than the hood, and the rear would stick back under the dash. It's a vastly harder swap that putting a Chevy V8 in it would be (which is hard enough, but been done in cars like Cavaliers...). It can be done (anything can be done) but are you getting any real performance gain over another, similar, cheaper and easier swap?

If you already have the Grand Am, with a bit of fabrication skills, you could do an LS1 swap with trans and everything for under $5k. I doubt you could find a Skyline engine itself for that money. Unfortunately, the fact that you're asking how to swap a Skyline engine shows you probably don't have the fabrication skills, due to not really understanding the physical differnce in a logitudinal I6 engine and a transverse I4 or V6 or the engine compartment shaped to fit either one.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:03 PM   #15
DSMer
CF Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
This is silly.

One, why use4 a Mustang floorpan if you're not going to use mustang parts in the car? it's just as easy to get older Camaro or Malibu floor pans and cut them down to size and end up with the mounting points for the rear end... of course, that's the hard way to do it anyhow. It's easier to make a rear subframe from rectangular tubing, and bend flat sheetmetal around the new driveshaft and trans tunnel.

If course its silly. However, he believes that buying a Mustang chassis will be less expensive and less effort than bending sheetmetal arround the driveshaft and transmission tunnel as it almost always is done in RWD conversions. I don't quite understand why you need to create an entire rear subframe? Could'nt you just bolt a RWD rear end to the allready existing GramdAm frame, modify the shock mounts, and use whatever form of fabrication you see fit to ensure that the rear end is level and square?

Quote:
The RB26 is an inline 6 cyl. It's fairly tall and quite long. Longer than even a Chevy V8. In fact

Are we talking 2-3 inches longer and taller or almost half a foot longer and or taller?