Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > European Imports
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2003, 09:08 PM   #1
Gavin.TDi
CF Newbie

FORTHCOMING: VW GOLF MK5

It's coming...it's coming...THE VW GOLF FIFTH GENERATION!!!! The mega family hatch back will be rolling off the production line in Feburary Next year!!! The styling could at best be called evolutionary, at worst predictable and bland but don't let that put you off though: a new range of engines and decent driving dynamics make it a significant progression from the previous model. Three and five-door variants will be available from launch, estate and convertible versions may turn up eventually, OH and hopefully as VWManiac mentioned the R32 version!!!

The engine range is very confusing so read carefuly, the Golf will be launched with two petrol and two diesel engines. The petrols are a 1.4-litre, 75bhp unit and a 1.6-litre FSI with 115bhp. The diesels !Oh YES! the diesel are a 1.9-litre with 105bhp and a 2.0-litre developing 140bhp. Beyond this will be two more FSI petrols, a 1.4-litre with 90bhp and a 2.0-litre with 150bhp, plus a 1.6-litre petrol with 102bhp. A 75bhp, 2.0 SDI diesel direct injection is also due. Transmissions at launch are five or six-speed manuals, with automatics and DSG 'boxes to follow, god thats plenty...!!! Hope I haven't confused anyone...

Anyway the important bit...PERFORMANCE, because of the heavy body Golfs are bit sluggish with the smaller engines, VW is yet to quote performance figures. Depending on the engines and transmission specified 0-60mph I think it should take between eight and twelve seconds and top speeds to vary between 115mph and 140mph, depending on engine again.

So the modern range of petrol and diesel engines are a step forward, and early impressions of the new platform are positive. Let's just hope the GTi or the R32 (if VW will make it), is worthy of the badge. Who said VW don't make fast cars 8O

Cheers,
Gavin
Gavin.TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 09:12 PM   #2
Gavin.TDi
CF Newbie

Oh sorry everyone, I forgot to mention the price, prices are yet to be announced by VW but I think it'll start at a smidge under 11,000 and rises to the far side of twenty grand. Cheers
Gavin.TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 12:48 AM   #3
vwmaniac
CF Addict

Here are some more pics of the golf 5.Though this time it is the GTI version.enjoy!!