Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2005, 09:50 PM   #31
fc7gtx
CF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
I agree with Dave. Nobody starts with a 9 sec car. You build up to it. My first car was a 67 VW Bug (maybe a 20 sec car) I loved it and thought it fast. The worst thing you can do is lose sight of what makes you happy. Don't follow the crowds, find out what makes you happy and do it. There are many great cars out there that are far from running 9 secs.

Quote:
This topic reminds me of my younger days. My brother found a car he wanted to buy when he was 16; it was a 1968 GTO that had a transplanted 427 450hp L-72 out of a '66 'vette. Very fast. Anyway, my dad hummed and hawed over letting him get it. I told Dad that he'd be fine with it while I secretly figured he'd crash it, but hopefully not to badly!
He bought the car and put it into the ditch the first week. He was fine and the car just had minor damage to the front fender. He drove it for a couple of years after that. Sold it to a 17 year old buddy who totalled it in the first week (hit a pole). Just for comparison purposes, this was a 12 second car.
My point is that a 450hp, 12 second car is quite fast and can also be a handful for those not used to driving such a powerful vehicle.

Dave

Both statements are well said and weigh heavy on actual experience.
fc7gtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:10 AM   #32
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc7gtx
Both statements are well said and weigh heavy on actual experience.

no kidding. based on my own experience, you definitely want to drive your old car for a while to get a feel for it before you get all crazy w/ it...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote