Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #1
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Rented an Amanti

Well just this past weekend my girlfriend and I flew down to Orlando to go to Disney for the weekend (graduation present of a sort). Since we obviously flew down we rented a car. Originally we were in the 'large car' category which Hertz defines as a "Ford Taurus or equivalent". Which I figured fine, we can get a Camry once we get down there (done it before). Well, no luck, out of Camrys. They didnt even have any Regals left and I wasn't about to get stuck with a POS 150hp V6 8 year old (in essence... was really an 05) Taurus. So I 'upgraded' to the premium import category which included two vehicles (for only $6 more a day over a Taurus), an Infiniti G35 (2005) and Kia Amanti (2005). Now you probably at this instant thought "GET THE G35!" and thats exactly what I asked for, but again, no go on another car. They only had the 'lowly' Amanti left, I was about ready to give up, so I took the keys to the Amanti and went on my way.

As soon as I saw the car the first thing I thought was "wow, did she give me a Jag by accident?" The exterior in the front resembles on heavily. I like its exterior styling. Could use a dose of bigger wheels than the stock 16" ones though. Opened the door and noticed how nice of an interior this car had (leather, of course). It made some cars in the $30k-$50k range look unplush compared to the Amanti. The only thing I was disappointed in which I knew would of been a blast in the G35 is the powertrain. The DOHC 3.5L V6 is pretty weak. Puts out 200hp and 220tq and cant tug this 4000lb FWD'er that well. But supposedly the new Amanti coming out for 06 (or is it 07) is getting a more powerful V6. It handled securely...and that's about it. All in all I was pretty satisfied with it and I think it's a luxury steal for its price of $26k. I think once the redesign comes out and Kia improves its bad reliability image they could have a real car to shake the entry level luxury market.

http://www.kia.com/amanti/amanti-photos.php

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:00 PM   #2
Oomba
Banned

Jesus 4000 lbs?! Wow! Thats heavy.
Oomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #3
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Nice interiors, comfy, but anyone confusing that with a Jag need their head examined. Really poorly proportioned in comparison to the Jag OR the E class Mercedes (which is it's other influence) when seen in real life. But, you can't beat the price for what you get in comfort.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
NISSANSPDR
and the Revolution

I had to get a car from Hertz also when my car was in the shop...first they gave me a baseline Pontiac Grand Prix from 2000- and then I had a Kia Optima V6...boy I missed the Pontiac after I had the Kia...that car was a piece.