Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2005, 04:13 AM   #16
Godlaus
UnFedFat in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Yeah you swear this entire thread isn't sarcasm...come on now....I seriously hope no one is THAT stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Me
Because tone can generally not be implied on the internet, users must feel the need to apply 'smilies' to their statements. . With the addition of a small yellow moving face, certain expressions and emotions can be relayed to other users. For example,

"I hate you"

or;

"I hate you "

The second one connotates sarcasm, or playful pushing around, as opposed to the first. In addition, new users are not known to use things such as sarcasm, further enforcing the need for smilies. Please note this for the future.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #17
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Ok, to be serious and back to the basics, as this does confuse a lot of people...

You have a black and a red clamp at each end of the jumper cables (or you should). Black is for negative and red is for positive. Should be easy, but many people do miss it.

Start the car you are going to be jumping from. The reason for this is if you connect the batteries when the car isn't running, the dead battery may suck enough power from the good battery to make starting hard (and on some newer cars, can even damage the alternator or even computer)

Then go to the car with the dead battery. Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal, then connect the black to the negative. Since this battery is dead, risk of spark should be minimal if any if the other clamps touch.

Next, we go to the car that is running. Connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery (on some cars, there is actually a threaded stud specifically for connecting a jumper cable to). Doing the positive first means no circuit is created yet, so there is no risk of spark. Last, connect the last black clamp to the negative terminal of the battery, or a designated hard grounding point (again, some cars will have a specific location other than the battery for this).

At this point, if the battery was truly dead, the alternator will be under load, and may drop the rpms down in the car you're jumping from... Rev it slightly above idle to compensate, and let it charge the other battery for a minute or so. (if the reason the battery is dead on the one car is due to it's alternator going out, then it won't run until the battery is fully charged). Only then try to start the car with the dead battery.

Remove the cables in the reverse order they were connected, and be careful of hitting them on anything or together, as both ends are energized.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:37 AM   #18
Zalight
Who's house? Runs house.

wow, so much confusion over jumping a car.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #19
97Talonchik
discombobulated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalight
wow, so much confusion over jumping a car.

Yeah, for real. I think I'll just flag down some guy to do it for me.
97Talonchik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:02 PM   #20
DodgeRida67
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Ok, to be serious and back to the basics, as this does confuse a lot of people...

You have a black and a red clamp at each end of the jumper cables (or you should). Black is for negative and red is for positive. Should be easy, but many people do miss it.

Start the car you are going to be jumping from. The reason for this is if you connect the batteries when the car isn't running, the dead battery may suck enough power from the good battery to make starting hard (and on some newer cars, can even damage the alternator or even computer)

Then go to the car with the dead battery. Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal, then connect the black to the negative. Since this battery is dead, risk of spark should be minimal if any if the other clamps touch.

Next, we go to the car that is running. Connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the battery (on some cars, there is actually a threaded stud specifically for connecting a jumper cable to). Doing the positive first means no circuit is created yet, so there is no risk of spark. Last, connect the last black clamp to the negative terminal of the battery, or a designated hard grounding point (again, some cars will have a specific location other than the battery for this).

At this point, if the battery was truly dead, the alternator will be under load, and may drop the rpms down in the car you're jumping from... Rev it slightly above idle to compensate, and let it charge the other battery for a minute or so. (if the reason the battery is dead on the one car is due to it's alternator going out, then it won't run until the battery is fully charged). Only then try to start the car with the dead battery.

Remove the cables in the reverse order they were connected, and be careful of hitting them on anything or together, as both ends are energized.
To add safety first...

Most people don't realize it but a battery will give off explosive gasses. On that last connection, putting the black jumper clamp onto the negative battery terminal will generally snap a spark or two. This is bad news for the explosive gasses floating around. It's best not to put that last connection of the ground on the battery's terminal. Put it on the body, away from the battery, somewhere good. Very dangerous otherwise.
DodgeRida67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #21
jarvisx2000
CF Enthusiast

I never knew the actual reason why people don't ground it right to the battery.
jarvisx2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:21 PM   #22
CarEXPERT
Banned

THANK you Chris! I got it all down now!
CarEXPERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:51 PM   #23
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
To add safety first...

Most people don't realize it but a battery will give off explosive gasses. On that last connection, putting the black jumper clamp onto the negative battery terminal will generally snap a spark or two.

Not if the other battery is dead, in general. If it was a big problem, you could never change a battery out, as simply connecting up a new one would be "dangerous."

The explosion problem comes in connecting a battery backwards, or letting an energized positive connection touch a grounded part of the car (effectively conecting both posts of a battery together...). That's one reason to connect the jumper cables in the order I discussed, and when disconnecting or connecting a battery in a car, to disconnect the negative cable first and connect it last. If your wrench hits the body at all while working on the negative cable, nothing will happen. Once the negative is off, then nothing will happen if your wrench or anything hits the body while working o nteh positive cable... (unless you're working on old, old British cars with positive grounding)

But yes, in response to your comment, thta's one of the reasons most modern cars are equpped with remote lugs for connecting jumper cables.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 AM   #24
dano
CF Newbie

Question

why does he call himself carEXPERT if he cant jump a battery?
dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:58 AM   #25
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dano
why does he call himself carEXPERT if he cant jump a battery?
you'll learn ... he's a permanent fixture on these boards ... we all love him, even if we profess not to.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:00 AM   #26
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Talonchik
Yeah, for real. I think I'll just flag down some guy to do it for me.
the old hike the skirt up, show some skin and look despondent trick ..... the guy drives past "wait a second, i could be the knight in shining armour". Little does he realise that by helping you start the car, he's helping you get OUT of his life
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 AM   #27
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsonian
the old hike the skirt up, show some skin and look despondent trick ..... the guy drives past "wait a second, i could be the knight in shining armour". Little does he realise that by helping you start the car, he's helping you get OUT of his life
haha Windsonian, do you have a little bit of experience with that (kninght in shining armour)? lol. Even if you knew what'd she'd do you'd still wanna help.

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:35 AM   #28
windsonian
Dodger65's weirdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy89
haha Windsonian, do you have a little bit of experience with that (kninght in shining armour)? lol. Even if you knew what'd she'd do you'd still wanna help.
... it's just cos I'm a helpful guy