Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2002, 01:32 AM   #1
Vascadia

Car stench

I recently had a new engine put in my 1989 Ford Probe GT and it may not have anything to do with it, but since then I've recently noticed a mildewy smell coming from probably the exhaust. It may have also something to do with the vent or the heater, which I just started using recently.

I mainly notice the smell when I'm driving with the windows down when I shift gears, or when I have left the windows up and haven't used the car in a while. Any ideas on how to solve this problem?
Old 11-30-2002, 03:19 PM   #2
ilusha2

Hi. I don't know much about cars, mostly I'm interested in computers. But I have a friend who owns a dealership, and I try to learn from him. Well, once he showed me some stuff under the car, and there was a thing that looked like a huge battery, and when I asked him what it was, he told me that it's a thing that filters the exhaust to lessen polution. Well, he said that you have to change it once in a while. Well, maybe since you got the new engine, maybe the new engine needs a new "one of these things" since the engine is different. Or maybe you just need to replace it anyway. And since this is the thing that filters the exhaust, maybe it's also responsible for the smell. And if you change it, maybe the smell will go away. Hope you get the idea .
Old 12-06-2002, 01:05 AM   #3
Talon_queen91

I have heard that the vent system gets dusty, musty, etc. when u let it sit for a long peroid of time or if it's an older car. Try going to a dealership and ask about a ventalation system cleaning, they will probely flush it out with a bunch of stuff
Old 12-06-2002, 04:49 AM   #4
labido

You smell it with the windows down when you shift gears? If this is the problem it is not in the exaust system, because it it always in use so you would smell it all the time. If its when you shift, it could be the clutch slipping...though ive never had one smell musty. But then just if you havnt used it in awile...it could be in the vent system. I wouldnt have a clue why you would smell it when you shift wit the windows down, since most people dont drive around with the ac or the heater on with the windows down. I dont know exactly what to tell you. The thing that ilusha2 is talking about is mostlikely the cat, and that shouldnt make a smell like that, not for very long anyway, its job is to get really hot and burn any leftover fuel before it leaves your car, so it would burn anything that came to it and stop making the smell.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:59 AM   #5
skullz

It could be 2 things to make that smell..

1. the cat on your exhaust could be busted

2.and like Lambido said " it could be your clutch slipping"
Old 12-18-2002, 03:02 AM   #6
PodunkPunk

one of my friends a few years ago had a toyota 4 runner, and they lived pretty much in the woods, and they didn't know it, but there were mice in their car and they slept on the engine cuz it was warm but then then next morning when they went to work and came home it smelled really bad, and after a few days he opend the hood, and there were dead mice all around the engine, it smelled for about 2 months. just something to think about...
Old 12-21-2002, 12:16 AM   #7
waitilldasummer

hey Vascadia what kind of engine did u put in the car, one time my friend put a totally differnt engine in his car and he really screwed up alot of shit, so this might be a problem if u put a shitty engine in it.