Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2005, 05:45 AM   #1
kiaya611
CF Newbie

Question 98 Plymouth Breeze with several problems...NEED HELP!!!

Hello,

I have a 98 Plymouth Breeze and have a few problems (they seem to be ganging up on me)!!

My first problem is that my instrument cluster "dies" for no apparent reason. I have found that disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it "cures" the problem (for about a week). I also changed the battery cables at the suggestion of a friend...no help....

Now I am also having a problem with the power assisted brakes. When I hit about 40mph, the brakes suddenly come on and stay on until I decelerate to about 20mph, then they stop braking. If I try to "power through them" which I can...then the transmission acts as if it downshifts to low and the rpm rises dramatically.

Lastly, a "No Bus" error code comes up on the instrument cluster.

I don't know if any or all of these things are related, but it is causing a real problem and driving me nuts.

It seems to be all electrical or "computer" in nature. I just don't have the tons of money that a shop would charge to figure it out...

I am on a very limited income form disability and I am trying to figure some or all of this out and maybe I can fix the problem/s for allot less.

Your help is greatly appreciated,

Steven
kiaya611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

most modern cars are controlled by several interrelated modules including the ECM (or PCM the engine management module), the TCM (the transmission control module), the BCM (body control module) and the ABS module (controls the anti-lock brakes). These modules "talk" to each other using a specific language or communication protocol such as UART(most cars through the early 2000's) or Canbus(mid 2000's and later). On the OBDII systems on cars such as your 1998 Plymouth, communicate through UART protocol.

There is inter connecting wiring between these modules. A common cause of this type of problems is bad connections, shorts in wiring, loose connections, water in connectors (dont laugh - this happened on my wifes 2002 Town and Country). This error results in an OBDII code beginning with the letter u (Uxxxx). The exact code number tells a dealer service dept (if they know what they are doing) or a good repair shop where to hunt for the problem. Could even be a short in the powersupply or a bad relay or something to a module such as the body control module or ABS module.

Someone will have to hunt down the wiring issues or possible bad module before your problem will go away
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 AM   #3
kiaya611
CF Newbie

Thank you

Thank you very much...I was afraid that it would lead to that...I need to find someone with the ability to read the codes...maybe that will narrow the hunt.

Thanks again.

Steven
kiaya611 is offline   Reply With Quote