Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Great1
CF Newbie

Chevy Cavalier

I have a 1982 Cavalier that has been sitting up for 4 years now. The Cav is a automatic with a 2.3 Liter 4-cylinder motor. This was my first car and I plan on trying to get it up and running again. The car need a new motor. My question is what type of motor can I put in this car.
Great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
osborste
the canuck tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great1
I have a 1982 Cavalier that has been sitting up for 4 years now. The Cav is a automatic with a 2.3 Liter 4-cylinder motor. This was my first car and I plan on trying to get it up and running again. The car need a new motor. My question is what type of motor can I put in this car.

that cant be the original motor as in 1982 they only came with a 1.8L ?
the 8th digit in your vin # should be a G
82-1.8L
83-1.8/2.0
84-86-1.8/1.8 turbo/2.0/2.8L

without seeing or hearing your problem all i can do is offer advice on what to check
my new toy

<Link removed>......Please read the rules on advertising!
osborste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

If the 2.8 liter 60 deg V6 fit, I would find a mid nineties 3.1 EFI for it. Those cavs weigh like nothing right?
Old 08-28-2005, 03:01 AM   #4
thunderbird1100
CF dB-o-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG30DE
If the 2.8 liter 60 deg V6 fit, I would find a mid nineties 3.1 EFI for it. Those cavs weigh like nothing right?

Best he find an OBD0 motor for easy wiring.

~Blow your mind~

thunderbird1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:18 PM   #5
Stem
HAHA Im Stem!

ur really over it, old cavaliers suck hot waxy monkey balls, i had a 91 cava and it died after being idle for 2 months, save ur money and get a used car, itd be the best bet
Stem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:16 PM   #6
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stem
ur really over it, old cavaliers suck hot waxy monkey balls, i had a 91 cava and it died after being idle for 2 months, save ur money and get a used car, itd be the best bet
That would be a good idea, however, its his first car. I think it just might have a special connection to him

Hmmmm....Id say theres enough room in that engine bay for a supercharged 3800 V6. Possibly even an older LT1 swap from a Chevy Caprice police cruiser

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #7
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipKnoT
That would be a good idea, however, its his first car. I think it just might have a special connection to him

Hmmmm....Id say theres enough room in that engine bay for a supercharged 3800 V6. Possibly even an older LT1 swap from a Chevy Caprice police cruiser

actually, an 82 looks more like this. make sure the floors aren't rotting out. i had an '82 given to me ("the crap-alier") and it had the option of the seats reclining all the way down w/o pulling a lever or anything! problem was, it was a bench seat!-the floor was gone!

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 08:57 PM   #8
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:

Dood, stop trying to say that you can put SBC's into every FWD GM. IT IS NOT FEASIBLE. The LT1 was made for RWD cars, so unless you are doing some sort of RWD conversion, it isn't going to happen, even if it does fit in the bay itself (still need a RWD tranny to bolt up). Caddy V8's of the time were made for FWD cars. Try looking into those.
Old 08-28-2005, 09:36 PM   #9
TheFieroKid
CF Freak

Quote:
Dood, stop trying to say that you can put SBC's into every FWD GM. IT IS NOT FEASIBLE. The LT1 was made for RWD cars, so unless you are doing some sort of RWD conversion, it isn't going to happen, even if it does fit in the bay itself (still need a RWD tranny to bolt up). Caddy V8's of the time were made for FWD cars. Try looking into those.

What are you talking about?
Theres LT1 fieros... and those are set up like a FWD and it works just fine...
I have a trans am engine in mine (350TPI) and its hooked up to a FWD Transmission (5 speed getrag).
If it will fit in the engine bay... I say go for it.

Any time you put an SBC in these small cars... its great... every one should drive one once in their lifes...
Old 08-28-2005, 11:50 PM   #10
SlipKnoT
The Ultimate Maggot

Quote:
You wanna know something....youre wrong. Ive seen a supercharged 3800 go into a 84 Cavalier. Ive also seen a LT1 go into a 83. It CAN be done.

Another suggestion: Try a Cadillac 4.9L V8.

SlipKnoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #11
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

If you have the money you can do almost anything. I would sugest the 3.8L. It fits nicely and its not too hard to do
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 PM   #12
GhAjNsIeLeMgInO
CF Newbie

need help with body mods

hey guys i just signed up to this forum and i just have a few questions. I have a 1991 3.1 F1 Chevy Cavalier and the engine runs great. The body on the other hand is very rusted so im buying different parts to put on the car. I'm putting a 1990 Mustang Gt rear bumper on it and im still deciding on what to put on the front.If You guys know of bumpers that go nice with it pls tell me about them.My question is how to make a bumper that is 2 inches wider fit on the car. This is my first time working on a car so i need some really helpful tips to do this thing right the first time. So if anyone can help me with that pls feel free to email me. Thanks alot...

GhAjNsIeLeMgInO
GhAjNsIeLeMgInO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #13
bigdaveangell
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhAjNsIeLeMgInO
hey guys i just signed up to this forum and i just have a few questions. I have a 1991 3.1 F1 Chevy Cavalier and the engine runs great. The body on the other hand is very rusted so im buying different parts to put on the car. I'm putting a 1990 Mustang Gt rear bumper on it and im still deciding on what to put on the front.If You guys know of bumpers that go nice with it pls tell me about them.My question is how to make a bumper that is 2 inches wider fit on the car. This is my first time working on a car so i need some really helpful tips to do this thing right the first time. So if anyone can help me with that pls feel free to email me. Thanks alot...

GhAjNsIeLeMgInO

You will have to cut the 2 inches off to try to make it fit.

In the future start a new thread when you have a different question
bigdaveangell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:28 PM   #14
VG30DE
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
You wanna know something....youre wrong. Ive seen a supercharged 3800 go into a 84 Cavalier. Ive also seen a LT1 go into a 83. It CAN be done.

Another suggestion: Try a Cadillac 4.9L V8.

I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it wasn't feasible, as in if you have any sort of practical budget. 3.8SC, I didn't say anything about it not being doable. It would be sweet. btw do you have any pics of the LT1 Cav? I would like to see it.

Last edited by VG30DE : 09-02-2005 at 09:30 PM.
VG30DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 09:50 PM   #15
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
I didn't say it couldn't be done, I said it wasn't feasible, as in if you have any sort of practical budget. 3.8SC, I didn't say anything about it not being doable. It would be sweet. btw do you have any pics of the LT1 Cav? I would like to see it.

Dude, I've seen guys build much more radical conversions on a $2000 budget (hell, go check out some of the cars in the Grassroots Motorsports $2006 Challenge)

And it would be quite easy to duplicate what this owner did to HIS V8, RWD converted Cavalier...

You guys with little experience need to stop arguing so vehemently about what is or isn't feasable to do. I have amig welder. With a little sheetmetal and a little time, the conversion like this wouldn't cost much more than the cost of the engine and driveline parts, which can be had CHEAP in the used market.

You guys are waaay too used to having to open up a catalog and buy new parts from overpriced vendors.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote