Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Domestic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #16
crazy_pilot
Banned

Just in response to Sick88, I know that fixing up a station wagon isn't to everybody's idea of cool, but I like the car and I really want it to be a more fun machine. If there's one thing I admire about the Taurus it's that Ford set out to build a car for a purpose and did pretty well. There still aren't very many 6-8 seat cars out there, and vans generally can't carry as much cargo at the same time as people. Plus, the idea of being able to burn somebody in an early 90's Civic with a really big exaust tip makes me laugh. Stupid loud cars that can't do anything more than before...
crazy_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:35 AM   #17
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

I dont know if you have ever heard a SHO but they are very loud when it idles you can hear it all through the house. My mom hates that i got it because she didnt realize it was so fast but she likes it now because i cant sneak out of the house because its too damn loud. I just had to find one with a Borla cat back system
skeetin870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 05:39 AM   #18
crazy_pilot
Banned

Also for Davsmitty: No, the SHO is no longer in production. The last run for that car was the 99 model year, when it had the 3.4L V8. Putting a 90's Miata motor in a Taurus would be a bad move. I drive a 99 Taurus with the 3.0L Vulcan. That engine has 145 HP and ~180 torque, and is still damn sluggish (although I got it to 180 km/h with 4 people and a lot of gear in it before I ran out of road). The highest HP available from 90-98 Miata's was 133. I don't know the torque rating, but out of a small engine it can't be very high. That engine would never have the balls to move a heavy Taurus at any speed. Now, if you wanted to try fitting a Subaru STi powerplant in there with it's 300 HP and 300 lb-ft of torque...haha, ya right.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:04 AM   #19
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

He was talking about putting the taurus motor in the miata not the other way around.
Old 03-24-2006, 06:24 AM   #20
davsmitty
CF Addict

is there something wrong with my typing? other than my reluctance to capitalize and my misspelling, i try to proof-read my posts before i submit them.

* 'course, maybe youre all too bussy looking at my truck too grasp what im typing. LOL

Last edited by davsmitty : 03-24-2006 at 06:26 AM.
davsmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:31 AM   #21
Sick88Tbird
Master of the Fox-chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_pilot
Just in response to Sick88, I know that fixing up a station wagon isn't to everybody's idea of cool, but I like the car and I really want it to be a more fun machine. If there's one thing I admire about the Taurus it's that Ford set out to build a car for a purpose and did pretty well. There still aren't very many 6-8 seat cars out there, and vans generally can't carry as much cargo at the same time as people. Plus, the idea of being able to burn somebody in an early 90's Civic with a really big exaust tip makes me laugh. Stupid loud cars that can't do anything more than before...

I understand...not trying to burn you...but it will cost a lot of loot. Hey, I think you could smoke most civic's right now with that wagon...maybe even with a spark plug wire pulled off...lol.

skeetin-SHO's are very quiet at idle...yours is only loud BECAUSE of your Borla cat-back...if you've got a '99, my buddy would be willing to trade his stock pristine system for your borla...lol.

davsmitty-nobody gives a crap about your truck...it looks just like every other POS chevy box rolling around. Get over it.

1988 Cougar XR-7- HO/T-5 conversion, cracked block prevented from reaching full potential.

RIP '88 T-Bird....14.1@98.7mph...best sleeper in So. Jersey, now it's taking a permanent dirt nap.
Sick88Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:36 AM   #22
skeetin870
CF Enthusiast

Nah my SHO is a 94 i like it though. I have heard another SHO a 95 with the ATX and it seems just as loud I dont know about the V8 but the sixes are in my experience loud not super rice burner loud but definently loud.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #23
glagon1979
daddy x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
* 'course, maybe youre all too bussy looking at my truck too grasp what im typing. LOL

NOT EVEN CLOSE
Old 03-24-2006, 04:05 PM   #24
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick88Tbird
davsmitty-nobody gives a crap about your truck...it looks just like every other POS chevy box rolling around. Get over it.

LOL, that was a joke. I know my truck is unremarkable
Old 03-25-2006, 04:47 AM   #25
crazy_pilot
Banned

Ah, my bad. Miata + SHO engine. Got it. Could be pretty sweet, although the Miata's weight distribution would be thrown off a bit by a heavier engine. Beef up the suspension and put a really heavy sub and amp combo in the trunk to balance the car, lol. Still, I think you should go for an STi engine. World's most terrifying Miata. lol
Old 03-25-2006, 05:46 PM   #26
davsmitty
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_pilot
Ah, my bad. Miata + SHO engine. Got it. Could be pretty sweet, although the Miata's weight distribution would be thrown off a bit by a heavier engine. Beef up the suspension and put a really heavy sub and amp combo in the trunk to balance the car, lol. Still, I think you should go for an STi engine. World's most terrifying Miata. lol

I was talking about putting the engine from a current (99) taurus in the Miata. Unless the v6 SHO motor was the 3L DOHC Duratec? But yeah, to even out the wieght I was thinking about putting a big feul cell in the rear, as big as i could make it fit. Though realy i dont think the 3L Duratec wieghs that much more than the Miata 4cyl. Now, if i wanted to put a v8 in the Miata, i'd mortage(sp?) everything ill ever own and buy a Cosworth v8 in "HoooAHHH!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 05:59 PM   #27
vwhobo
CF's Anal Orifice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davsmitty
I was talking about putting the engine from a current (99) taurus in the Miata. Unless the v6 SHO motor was the 3L DOHC Duratec? But yeah, to even out the wieght I was thinking about putting a big feul cell in the rear, as big as i could make it fit. Though realy i dont think the 3L Duratec wieghs that much more than the Miata 4cyl. Now, if i wanted to put a v8 in the Miata, i'd mortage(sp?) everything ill ever own and buy a Cosworth v8 in "HoooAHHH!!!
I don't get it. What's the trick in putting a V6 in a Miata... And if you're doing the fab work anyway, why not just drop in a V8 and be done with it?

http://www.v8miata.com/

http://www.v8miata.homestead.com/buildup.html

http://www.oa5599.us/v8a.htm

http://www.fergfab.com/gallery/LS1-V...ersion?&page=1

"Everybody believes in something and everybody, by virtue of the fact that they believe in something, use that something to support their own existence."
Frank Vincent Zappa, 1940-1993

vwhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 07:09 PM   #28
OombaIsBack
Banned

I'll give you a dollar if you put an LS7 in a Miata
OombaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #29
notfalling
CF Newbie

Lightbulb Sho swap

My brother in law HAD an amazing forest green sho it got rear ended when he was dropping off my girl, a jeep was going 60 and didnt see him, it's totalled and we are currently looking to do something with the awesome engine it has. i just got an 87 honda accord lx that actually despirately needs an engine. i'm wondering if this swap is even possible, or worth trying. the 220 horse from the sho would make the accord a major sleeper, and i'm starting to get idea after idea for this rust bucket i have. it already has a front wheel drive set up, so i think it would be a bit simpler... i think the bay is big enough to fit it but i havent done any measuring yet. I'm willing to work for the money and put it into the swap and modification, but are there any ideas on how exactly i should do this?
notfalling is offline   Reply With Quote