Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Vehicle Specific > Classic Cars
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 AM   #1
Beeelions
CF Newbie

'66 Mustang GT racing harness

So I'm picking up a '66 Mustang GT convertible later this week and one of the major concerns I have is the seat-belt situation seeing as the car only has lap belts. Does anyone have any idea where the best place to mount a harness (4 or 5 point) would be?
Beeelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeelions
So I'm picking up a '66 Mustang GT convertible later this week and one of the major concerns I have is the seat-belt situation seeing as the car only has lap belts. Does anyone have any idea where the best place to mount a harness (4 or 5 point) would be?
If it has the original seats, you are pretty much out of luck, as the seats backs are not very tall, and they fold down. And considering it is a convertible, there is not much above shoulder height you could attach anything to.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
Beeelions
CF Newbie

That was exactly my concern. That's unfortunate. Would there be any other options for adding a shoulder component or am I just completely out of luck?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:32 AM   #4
corbett_auto
CF Addict

I see two potential options.

The first and best option would be to adding a single loop roll bar behind the front seats.... you could make it low (like shoulder high) and then just add to hoops to protect your head.

Option #2 would be to reinforce the floor behind the seat and attach them directly to the floor centered on each seat.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
I see two potential options.

The first and best option would be to adding a single loop roll bar behind the front seats.... you could make it low (like shoulder high) and then just add to hoops to protect your head.

Option #2 would be to reinforce the floor behind the seat and attach them directly to the floor centered on each seat.
If you are considering a harness, a roll bar is a good idea. right now there is absolutely nothing to protect you if you happen to flip the car.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
Beeelions
CF Newbie

I tend to like corbett_auto's option #2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corbett_auto
This will never be a track car. I'm just looking to increase highway safety with more restraints.

Would it be okay to attach to the floor? I've always been under the impression that harnesses should always be attached around shoulder height.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
Beeelions
CF Newbie

Should I just go with something like this?
http://www.dallasmustang.com/page/pr...roduct=6086 7

Does anyone have any experience with retrofitting shoulder belts? Also...I'm not quite sure how this would attach to a soft top.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:49 AM   #8
corbett_auto
CF Addict

Yes this would work and I think you would like it much better than a motion limiting 4 point harness. It is kindda hard to describe how to attach it. the best bet would be to look around a few used car lots to see how newer convertibles do it......

It will basically attach on the inside of the car at the back side window.... it will make it awkward for people to get into the back seat... but there is not much other options.

below is picture of how we install them in a truck

Old 05-18-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Beeelions
CF Newbie

Since I posted this I've done a bit of research on my own. From what I've seen people tend to attach them just behind the door and snake the belt over the shoulder of the front seats. Unfortunately the rear seats are out of luck but that was never much of a concern.

Thank you for all your help.

I'm picking up the car on Tuesday. I'll make sure to post pictures as soon as I can.