Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > General Discussions > General Chat
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2004, 05:51 PM   #16
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

My responses were to th eoriginal question:

Quote:
How is it possible that companies like Ford or Toyota cannot (or maybe do not?) make cars like these even though they are some of the leading car manufacturers of the word? While companies like Porsche and Ferrari, who sell a small number in comparison to others, make cars that are so powerful?

Where do they have the money to come up with this technology?

I explained that, then explained how smaller companies like Lotus, and kit car companies, do it.

Simply put, if you could make a legal, production supercar for the price you claim, using new parts, then everypone woul ddo it, and there wouldn't BE any $100k+ supercars.

And I could mod a used car for more performance than your new parts-built, scratch bilt car. Mostly because I'm looking at the end result in dollar figures, rather than in how new the parts are. After teh first time you drive it, teh parts are used, and devalued, so why not start out that way with mnost of the bits? But that isn't pertinent to the questions about production cars as stated in the original post. Neither is whether or not you have to met federal standards with a one off car.

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 06:29 PM   #17
cinqyg
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
My responses were to th eoriginal question:

I explained that, then explained how smaller companies like Lotus, and kit car companies, do it.

Simply put, if you could make a legal, production supercar for the price you claim, using new parts, then everypone woul ddo it, and there wouldn't BE any $100k+ supercars.

And I could mod a used car for more performance than your new parts-built, scratch bilt car. Mostly because I'm looking at the end result in dollar figures, rather than in how new the parts are. After teh first time you drive it, teh parts are used, and devalued, so why not start out that way with mnost of the bits? But that isn't pertinent to the questions about production cars as stated in the original post. Neither is whether or not you have to met federal standards with a one off car.

so your not feeling like designing armour today then. Its amazing how you raise new issues and then move around them when they get sticky.

Well i couldnt do it as a business it takes 1-2 years to build one car, i get most of the carbon, aramid and dyneema as discontinued weaves.

We have done some werid and wacky projects so i can get a set of carbon brakes of a F1 car for peanuts as we were involved in Jordon F1 brake material design.

There are these guys in italy who we work with who make ceramic balistic glass, if you think it down then you can achive very high strenth windscreen at 1/2 the weight of the comertial equiverlent.

There is no point in me using used parts if i can get better for less i am sure you agree. I just pay shipping, and when the guys come over for a meeting i take them out for a blast in the lunch break, doesnt really work if i want 200,000 a yr.

My point was that if you want a truely fast car you can or may be just i can go alot further with starting from a blank sheet of paper than i ever can aford to with starting with something stock.

There are lots of people here all have diffrent skills and i would assume that most people know some 1 who could help them put soemthing together. all you need is determination and you will get there in the end.

And yeah its not the origional question but howmany posts on this forum stick to the origonal question!
I think we moved away from the origional question along time ago.
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 07:00 PM   #18
BavarianWheels
Supreme Demagogue

I had a dog once...

Bav's Favorite Track Vehicle
Posts Deleted for Use of Profanity = 2
BavarianWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #19
cinqyg
CF Freak

Mx6/mr2

If you have a look at the styling then they were baiscally copied from the Ferrari 355, they were done on a mass produced scale, they didnt offer the same kind of perfromance as ferarri in sheer power terms but they were good to drive, as such there is now a kit that you can a pply to make them look like a 355 although i think there awful!
cinqyg is offline   Reply With Quote