Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2008, 05:37 AM   #1
SillyLights
CF Newbie

Question 1994 Pathfinder Bright Lights Problem

Hello everyone, I got a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 SE 6 Sportspackage. I'm having a problem with the headlights. Both dim lights work just fine, but when I switch on the brights, only the right side works. I bought a new light(these are just the plug in kind, not the entire lamp thankfully) thinking that was the problem and nope, it wasn't. So I pulled the bulbed and got out my tester. There are three places where the light slides in. ( - - - ) that would be brights, dims, ground. Anyway, with the tester hooked up to the plug, the lights work correctly. But when I plug in the light, it doesn't work. So I hooked up leads, to the ground from the plug to the ground on the bulb and the middle(dim) on the plug to the middle(dim) on the bulb and that worked. When I hooked up leads to the brights, it didn't work. Any ideas?
SillyLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:47 AM   #2
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

If the lamp is good, and you have 12V between high beam lead and ground (headlights switched on high beam and ignition switch on) and the lamp is known to be good, then there is an issue with the lamp holder/socket. These can usually be replaced by splicing in a new one. Make sure to read a wiring diagram and know which wire to hook up where.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #3
SillyLights
CF Newbie

Well, I have to report that I got another socket, wired it up and that did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:39 AM   #4
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

can you measure 12 volts at the socket when the brights are on?
Old 07-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
SillyLights
CF Newbie

All I had at the time of testing was a regular light meter. I got a digital tester tonight and will test how many volts it is getting tomorrow morning( if it was parked here, I'd do it now, but I can't. ) So tomorrow I will reply. Also, I went and got some wiring diagrams for it, so I can follow the wires better than ripping them all from the casings ...

Lots of questions, sorry!

When it rains it pours.

Last edited by SillyLights : 07-17-2008 at 06:18 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #6
dvdrose18
CF's resident Nurse

As for the starting problems you might want to start a new thread, or search, as I believe a similar problem was discussed not to long ago.

Once you get out there with the meter, there are a couple things to measure to help find the problem. Start with the socket. (with the brights on) From the bright connector to the ground there should be 12 volts. If not, check at the connection you just wired. If still no voltage I would suspect the connection at the switch, but it probably isn't easy to get at with the meter.
If you do get 12 volts, move to the bulb. check the continuity(or resistance) of the bulb between the bright connector and the groung connector. If there is no continuity(infinite resistance) the bulb is bad. This is not likely as you say you replaced them, but things happen.
If the bulb is good, I would lean toward a bad ground. Be 200% sure you are measuring the first measurements between the proper connections, and not confusing the brights connection and the ground. See if you can measure 12 volts between the brights connection and the body. You might also want to check the continuity(or resistance) between the ground connection and the body.
Old 07-19-2008, 05:50 AM   #7
SillyLights
CF Newbie

Did all that. Etc etc.. I just said forget it and put a jumper from the passenger side bright to the driver side bright. I just need it to work once for an inspection. ::hums::
Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
tbaxleyjr
CF Extraordinaire

it needs to work after the safety inspection - not troubleshooting and fixing the issue will cause other issues too - overloaded wiring, fires, etc.
tbaxleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
SillyLights
CF Newbie

Yeah, I agree. I just need it to pass at the moment. I took the steering column apart and followed many wires... There were spliced parts here and there and everywhere. So I'm going to have to really put some work into finding out what they did to what. ( I hate that ).
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
brett
CF Newbie

Bad month for Pathfinder lights

I have a 95 Pathfinder with the off road package too. My problem is very similar. About a month ago I noticed both my brights didn't work. I bought replacement bulbs and replaced both lamps. However, replacing the bulbs only fixed one lamp. (Only one of the bulbs was really burned out) I tried swapping out all my working bulbs in between the left and right lamp. I even replaced the fuse just for kicks. No matter what I do I can only get dim's working on both lamps. Bright only works on the left lamp.

ha, between your right and my left lights we have a single car that can pass safety. We could trade off cars parts in between inspections. Or I could sell you my pathfinder for parts.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote