Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
trek1114
CF Newbie

Question slammed into R at 60 mph

I had a strange happening the other night. Me and my wife were diving back from the mountains (she was driving) we have a 92 Toyota Camry auto. We use the no over drive button and the 2nd to slow down on the steep roads. We were down the mountain and she thought she was in 2nd and slammed the stick up past N to R at 60mph the breaks came on and slowed us down to a stop. I thought the car was fried but she turned it off and back on and it went into drive just fine and there is no sign of a leak. It seems just fine, my ? Is why is my car still working after this happened is there some safety switch that kicked in or something? Or am I just really lucky? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

you should never ever pull on the shifter lever when driving, you just push it, that's why it was poped into reverse, she pulled on the lever, otherwise it would stop at neutral (Or press the button for the shifters down in the bush, just push them)

You're extremely lucky to not have broken anything. I've never heard of a safety switch for something like that, most cars can't lock up the brakes at 60mph anyway, so it wouldn't make a difference at speeds like that. Usually the weakest link breaks when you do that, (Axel, clutches... etc). We had a truck that came in that he slammed it into reverse while off-roading, snapped the 6" driveshaft in two.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:42 AM   #3
dcm1996impalaSS
CF Newbie

We did this in my friend's '92 Blazer at about 50-60mph and the same thing happened. The brakes locked up and we skidded to a hault. He simply turned the car back on and everything worked fine. It wasn't for a couple of years before he lost his upper gears and reverse.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
DodgeRida67
Banned

The brakes don't lock up, the wheels do because... well, duh, they tend to want to go in the oppisite direction in reverse.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:34 AM   #5
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DodgeRida67
The brakes don't lock up, the wheels do because... well, duh, they tend to want to go in the oppisite direction in reverse.

Indeed.

As I said, not many cars out there have the power to lock up the brakes on dry pavement, engine's spinning one way, all of a sudden you slam it into reverse, now the tranny's trying to output a opposite turn, which in turn kills the motor and locks up the wheels.

Last edited by 88GrandPrixSE : 02-22-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #6
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
Indeed.

As I said, not many cars out there have the power to lock up the brakes on dry pavement, engine's spinning one way, all of a sudden you slam it into reverse, now the tranny's trying to output a opposite turn, which in turn kills the motor and locks up the wheels.
i don't think the engine would die
Closed Thread