carlos
CF Addict

auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter3.htm
Old 02-22-2005, 08:12 AM   #17
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
i actually went to school for automotive technology and overdrive now you're talking about someyhing completely different

Haha no i'm not, that's what over drive is, the clutch is for 1 gear, and 1 gear only. Why do you think trans with overdrive are so much more money to repair? Cause it has a big pretty word in it?

I'm sure your "school" was just a grade 9 course you took instead of cooking so now you're an expert? Because seriously, you know nothing about cars.. I'm not even kidding.

Just stop embarassing yourself, please.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #18
carlos
CF Addict

go to this site kid maybe you'll learn a thing or two
Old 02-22-2005, 08:13 AM   #19
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter3.htm

I'm not even gonna read that, it's you that needs it, boy.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:15 AM   #20
carlos
CF Addict

what are you afraid of just read it i wan't you to see that you're wrong and if you don't read it other people will
Old 02-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #21
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
what are you afraid of just read it i wan't you to see that you're wrong and if you don't read it other people will

Haha, not at all, I don't need to read it, I've dropped more trans' outta cars than you've seen under the hoods of cars. I know more than you could ever know about a car. You're just mad because you can no longer "prove" me wrong.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:18 AM   #22
carlos
CF Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88GrandPrixSE
I'm not even gonna read that, it's you that needs it, boy.
you're just some kid who works on a few cars and thinks he knows it all, me on the other hand i like to keep an open mind i know there's always someone who knows more than me, and i'm willing to learn from them, but in this case you don't know enough to be running your mouth
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 AM   #23
carlos
CF Addict

Main > Auto > Under the Hood

How Torque Converters Work

by Karim Nice

Table of Contents
Introduction to How Torque Converters Work The Basics Inside a Torque Converter Benefits and Weak Points Lots More Information Shop or Compare Prices

Benefits and Weak Points
In addition to the very important job of allowing your car come to a complete stop without stalling the engine, the torque converter actually gives your car more torque when you accelerate out of a stop. Modern torque converters can multiply the torque of the engine by two to three times. This effect only happens when the engine is turning much faster than the transmission.
At higher speeds, the transmission catches up to the engine, eventually moving at almost the same speed. Ideally, though, the transmission would move at exactly the same speed as the engine, because this difference in speed wastes power. This is part of the reason why cars with automatic transmissions get worse gas mileage than cars with manual transmissions.

To counter this effect, some cars have a torque converter with a lockup clutch. When the two halves of the torque converter get up to speed, this clutch locks them together, eliminating the slippage and improving efficiency.

For more information on torque converters and related topics, check out the links on the next page.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #24
carlos
CF Addict

there you go just read it.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:20 AM   #25
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
you're just some kid who works on a few cars and thinks he knows it all, me on the other hand i like to keep an open mind i know there's always someone who knows more than me, and i'm willing to learn from them, but in this case you don't know enough to be running your mouth

Know more than you do, and I know there's somebody who knows more than I do, ie, my father, he's been a mechanic for 40 years, owns his own shop, also does trannys.

Okay Mr. Know it all, what keeps a car from starting while it's out of park or neutral, very simple question, but will prove if you know anything, I'll give you 30 seconds to answer this so you don't go searchin' it up on the net.

That's for Over-drive.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #26
carlos
CF Addict

PRNDL switch and you don't have to quiz me kid go ask your daddy about torque converter clutches
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #27
carlos
CF Addict

stop living in your fathers glory your father probably does have more experience than me but his kid hasn't learned shit from him
Old 02-22-2005, 08:25 AM   #28
88GrandPrixSE
CF Freak

Quote:
PRNDL switch and you don't have to quiz me kid go ask your daddy about torque converter clutches

It's called a neutral switch, tsk tsk.

May dad taught me all about torque convertors the first tranny I ever witnessed being dropped out.

I'm going to bed, you're an embarassement to vehicles. Sleep well, boy.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:26 AM   #29
carlos
CF Addict

you think

Park
Reverse
Neutral
Drive
Low
Old 02-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #30
Blue_Frog
CF Newbie

Kids lets not fight...lets agree on this much:

1) Auto transmissions are not meant to be thrown from gear to gear on whim or accident THUS why they are automatic transmissions.

2) Everyone who has ever played with or done such things accidentally should be damn lucky that the engines DO (yes carlos) often shut down out of the mass mechanical illogic of such a thing happening.

3) You are both pretty damn clever in your own right, be helpful to people here and spank each other in private messages.

Closed Thread