Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #16
realholdem
CF Newbie

that make a whole lot of sense to me. however when i put a new idle air control valve on it, it acted the same. thanks for the tip though.
realholdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:45 AM   #17
carlos
CF Addict

have you ever replaced the PCV vlave?
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
chatterbox brit
CF Newbie

Quote:
Yesterday 04:36 AM realholdem:
that make a whole lot of sense to me. however when i put a new idle air control valve on it, it acted the same. thanks for the tip though.

Yes but fitting a new idle air control valve does not reset the idle itself, you need to follow a set procedure to reset the idle, the throttle plate in a cetain position, the TPS sending the correct voltage for the idle position, it needs to know that the engine is warm from the temp sensor, if its in drive, if headlights or other current grabbing items might be switched on, that the mass air sensor is showing idle and so on, then the ecu will control the IACV, it needs to have the correct set of parameters to follow. ie: a set voltage from throttle position switch to tell it to idle.

Sorry I do go on sometimes
chatterbox brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 01:48 AM   #19
cargrime
CF Newbie

about the cav

is this a MAP manifold absolute pressure sensor or an mass air flow sensor?

The MAP sensor gets it's signal from the manifold vacuum, the mass air flow sensor gets a signal from a hot wire(usually a platinum hot wire)

If this cavalier has a TPS throttle position sensor then here is something to know. There is a mode that is triigered when the air flow sensor malfunctions. The computer then swithcheds over to the TPS sensor

Run out o time

Last edited by cargrime : 01-09-2006 at 01:52 AM.
cargrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 08:19 AM   #20
realholdem
CF Newbie

chatterbox brit was right about AIC valve. i replaced with a new one again and it solved my idle problem. Thank you every one who participate for this situation. my pcv valve is new by the way.
conclusion: car idle is bad, alternating rpm (high,low, high....) on idle, could be a possible Idle air control valve, vacuum leak, and etc. if the problem is related to the Idle control valve, don't just replace the part. make sure that computer will be reset not by just unhooking the battery, but to reset it with a computer through your obd II system. and readjust the idle rpm to 6500 if you messed with it.
realholdem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
Golddragoner
CF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by realholdem
chatterbox brit was right about AIC valve. i replaced with a new one again and it solved my idle problem. Thank you every one who participate for this situation. my pcv valve is new by the way.
conclusion: car idle is bad, alternating rpm (high,low, high....) on idle, could be a possible Idle air control valve, vacuum leak, and etc. if the problem is related to the Idle control valve, don't just replace the part. make sure that computer will be reset not by just unhooking the battery, but to reset it with a computer through your obd II system. and readjust the idle rpm to 6500 if you messed with it.

WHAT? readjust it to 6500? you planning on people driving around with their engines running on red-line or even over it? I think you ment like 500-800 not 6500
Golddragoner is offline   Reply With Quote