Old 10-31-2006, 01:16 PM   #1
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Cars you can build & race for under $2k

Pictures:

http://www.rotard.org/GRM.htm

results:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new...lts-are-in.php

GRM 2006 challenge. If you have time, skill, or a group of friends with same, you can accomplish much! Remember that when you start to wonder what checkbook engineered wondercar is being shown in the supercar magazines...

www.midatlantic7s.com
ChrisV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Bronxie
Dont know crap about cars

A ford v8 powered rx7...isn't that your car?

How do they know how much money they spend?

Driving a lotus is more thrilling than sex.
Bronxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:33 PM   #3
chris_knows
๑۩۞

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxie

No, the guy that built that guy was Steve DeFayette, not Chris V. lol.

Looks interesting, are any of the races going to be televised?
Old 10-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #4
Bronxie

Oh yeah I misread, I thought it said defayette won fourth place but he won it last year.

Old 10-31-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:

Not mine, but similar. As for the costs, they have to have reciepts for everything. Labor is free, as are tools to build it. You can sell off some of the parts on the car or on a parts car to recover some costs, that can go towards the budget, but not all (i.e. you can't buy a $300 parts car, get a couple parts off it, and sell the rest for $1000 and write off $1000 on the budget, even though you could in real life).

So the budgets are tightly controlled and are more impressive, as you could literally build better cars given $2000 in an account and a free reign to buy and sell parts from that fund.

There is also no one in there that is like a Penske level shop, with access to cast off parts from INdy cars or anything. But some hobbyists do have lathes and welders, so a lot of fabrication can be done (and these guys do help each other out, too).

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 PM   #6
Bronxie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV
Not mine, but similar. As for the costs, they have to have reciepts for everything. Labor is free, as are tools to build it. You can sell off some of the parts on the car or on a parts car to recover some costs, that can go towards the budget, but not all (i.e. you can't buy a $300 parts car, get a couple parts off it, and sell the rest for $1000 and write off $1000 on the budget, even though you could in real life).

So the budgets are tightly controlled and are more impressive, as you could literally build better cars given $2000 in an account and a free reign to buy and sell parts from that fund.

There is also no one in there that is like a Penske level shop, with access to cast off parts from INdy cars or anything. But some hobbyists do have lathes and welders, so a lot of fabrication can be done (and these guys do help each other out, too).

So even if you have parts of your own for the car you buy, you can't use them without it going towards your budget?

Old 10-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

Quote:
So even if you have parts of your own for the car you buy, you can't use them without it going towards your budget?

THere is a thing called FMV. fair market value. Somethings ARE free, that is, if anyone else could find teh same deals. You cna't do special brother-in-law type deals, either. yes, sometimes free is free, but stuff you already have (like, say, wheels and tires) are generally FMV.

BTW, the car itself counts in the cost of the build... but you can only sell of parts of that car down to zero.

Here are the relevant rules for $2006:

14) All builders shall spend no more than $2006 on their cars. The purchase price of the car must be equal to or less than $2006. Title fees, registration and insurance are not counted toward the budget. Tax that is paid and shipping (or transportation costs) of the car and parts used in the building process must be counted toward the budget.

15) All parts used at the event (including multiple sets of tires) shall be part of that $2006 budget.

16) Parts that are not used may be traded or sold up to the initial cost of the car or parts deal. In other words, if you buy a $500 Challenge car, you can recoup up to $500 of your budget by selling parts. (If you do turn a profit on selling parts off the car, we suggest you take your significant other out to dinner to compensate them for having a $2006 car hanging around the house.). Once the recouperation limit has been reached on a car or parts deals, trading is not allowed.

17) The maximum amount of money that can be "recouped" in a budget is $1003. This includes parts cars, parts deals and the Challenge car itself.

18) Parts that are given to the competitor by a company or person must be figured into the budget at fair market value. Sponsorships are allowed, but the values any product or service that is used in building the car must be figured into the $2006 budget.

19) Entrants must show up to the competition with complete documentation totaling, at most, $2006. Entrants must bring receipts or verifiable proof for each item on the car, including the car itself. This information will be available at registration for all entrants to view. The more information provided about the car, the better. Photos are extremely helpful in documentation.

20) If parts or vehicles are already owned by the competitor, they must be figured into the budget at fair market value at today's prices.

21) Cars that are purchased at non-public, dealer-only auctions must be valued at fair market retail pricing.

22) Work that is performed at a commercial, for-profit place of business must be billed to the budget at fair market value.

24) Parts that break during the Challenge (and during transportation to the Challenge) may be replaced at the event on an emergency basis, but penalty points may be awarded if the total value exceeds the $2006 limit.

www.midatlantic7s.com
Old 10-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
Bronxie

That sounds really difficult :$

Old 11-02-2006, 01:03 AM   #9
car_crazy89
Part Time CFer

Chris, have you ever tried, or thought about trying to do this?

"Noone dies a virgin, life screws us all"
car_crazy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 03:50 PM   #10
ChrisV
The Big Meaney

The fiat was originally going to be for it. But, the Challenge happens in Florida, and I can't get the time off to go there. There's always been too much to do at work or home this time of year.

But yes, I'd love to do it. I keep looking at cars I could buy that could be competetive...

www.midatlantic7s.com