Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
cpchase
CF Newbie

Ticking on 1990 CrownVicLTD

When ever I press (even slightly) on the gas pedal... I get "Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick... etc." When I release the gas. It's normal engine sounds. It's hard to explain. It's not an overly loud noise, but I would still like to know...
cpchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:32 AM   #2
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
does it have oil in it?
Old 09-18-2007, 04:15 AM   #3
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

Thats what I'm thinking. It could be your oil lifters BUT before you go and order those give it an oil change with some good oil(preferably synthetic) and see if the ticking goes away after driving it for a while after the oil change. If not then yeah get some new lifters. DSMs are notorious for that. Mine starts to tick about the same time I'm due for a change so I just call it the you need an oil change sound.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
cpchase
CF Newbie

Ok thanks for the help guys. I am definitly going to have the oil changed and then I'll post back in bit if their is any improvements!
Old 10-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #5
cpchase
CF Newbie

Yea no change in noise. I did my oil change about 2 weeks ago now... Still noisey as hell.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #6
newyorker
MXman

maybe doin less of those burnouts would help? lol sounds like a valve tap maybe?
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:28 AM   #7
cpchase
CF Newbie

haha funny everybody make fun. I was worried I love that car... She's my V8 baby lol... I call my car by her name, "Victoria".
Old 10-09-2007, 03:14 AM   #8
thefonz
CF Addict

Newyorker was the only one making fun, but trying to help at the same time. All other posters were trying to help you.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:21 AM   #9
newyorker
MXman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpchase
haha funny everybody make fun. I was worried I love that car... She's my V8 baby lol... I call my car by her name, "Victoria".
http://www.car-forums.com/talk/showt...396#post248396

you were informed
04 Mazdaspeed Miata #2373/4000: IHI, BBS, Harddog, Flyin'Miata.

newyorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:03 AM   #10
Spanky2324
JDM LOL

I doubt that doing a burnout one time would cause the ticking in his car unless he has done more than one burnout of that we don't know. The other solution i would have for this is to repace the oil lifters or it may indeed be valve tick.

92% of teens moved on to rap music.
If you're part of the 8% that rock out everyday, put this in your signature

Owning a DSM is like having retarded kids. You get angered and frustrated by them yet you love them to death.
Spanky2324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #11
dodger65
I know more than Wally...

...sounds like an exhaust manifold gasket...

dodger65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #12
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
When ever I press (even slightly) on the gas pedal... I get "Tick Tick Tick Tick Tick... etc." When I release the gas. It's normal engine sounds. It's hard to explain. It's not an overly loud noise, but I would still like to know...

This is hardly enough information to diagnose an engine with a major hardware failure such as a lifter problem. All we know, thus far, is that an oil change did not solve the problem. You could have many things wrong with the engine in a spectrum of insignificant to major. We'd need more information that this to assist in providing an accurate diagnosis online.

I have not seen anywhere that tells us how many miles are on this engine. I don't even see any information on WHAT engine we're talking about other than it's a '90 Crown Vic. and it has a V8. What is the history of the car? What conditions has it been driven under for most of it's useable life and how many owners has it had? Does the car burn any oil and has the engine ever had any major work done on it in the past.

As Dodger pointed out, this could be as insignificant as an exhaust manifold gasket that is blown. Do you smell exhaust under the hood when the engine is running? Is the engine quiet at idle and then when you place a load on it (ie....increasing throttle pressure or accelerating in DRIVE) If it is a tick as described, that sounds to me to be exactly what it is. A blown exhaust manifold will cause this exact problem and it can make the engine sound horrible if really bad. If not manifold, could be a leak near the manifold.

With the info. provided, look for the simple things first!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #13
cpchase
CF Newbie

Well she's got 252,000 KM on it, the engine idles nice and quiet. It was used by an older man, only in summer on highways mostly. It has brand new brakes(irelevent I know) and exaust system in. If I'm cruising down the road with just a feather throttle I don't hear it. When you increase throttle it gets louder and seems to be less noticable in higher gears.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
cmeseadoin
CF Freak

Quote:
Well she's got 252,000 KM on it, the engine idles nice and quiet. It was used by an older man, only in summer on highways mostly. It has brand new brakes(irelevent I know) and exaust system in. If I'm cruising down the road with just a feather throttle I don't hear it. When you increase throttle it gets louder and seems to be less noticable in higher gears.

Sounds to me like I'd be checking that exhaust manifold(s) and see if I have any leaks. Since it's a V8, check both sides and see if you can smell exhaust under the hood when you increase the throttle pressure and accelerate the engine. Also, stand at the front of the car with the hood up and manually gun the engine at the throttle linkage and see if you can hear where the noise it coming from. I am not 100% sure what you mean by a "tick," but a tick tick tick to me is more of an exhaust leak noise. Lifters are going to be an internal noise but I guess they could tend to make more of a ticking noise, but usually I would describe it as more of a "slap" or "knocking."

Either one of the problems could be exacerbated by placing a load on the engine or increasing rpm. Sometimes lifters will be worse at certain temperatures such as making noise when cold and lubrication is not optimal vs. they shut up when they get hot. Exhaust would be all of the time. Lifters could be, but depends on the problem.

An example of this is my 2002 Trans Am with the 5.7liter Ls-1 V8. When I start the engine cold, she likes to have a couple of lifters talk to me just ever-so-slightly. It is a known design flaw of that engine but does not hurt it a bit. Once I have driven it a mile or so and have lubrication optimal, she shuts right up and has no noise. I have checked with the folks in the know and they say normal. I don't worry about it, that being the case.

At this point, you'll need to do some troubleshooting on your own and perhaps have someone that knows cars take a look. There is only so much we can remotely do online. Good Luck with it!
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM   #15
BanffAutoSpa_ap
Pants The Ripper

Location: Southern Alberta Likes:Long walks on the beach.....after anal
cracked exhaust manifolds may be hard to spot sometimes look kinda like this
http://home.comcast.net/~gwmolitor/i...l_cracks-w.jpg
but im not saying thats your problem.