Car Forums  

Go Back   Car Forums > Technical Discussions > Repairs & Maintenance
FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
fromthestars
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
Unhappy 2000 Pontiac Grand Am Security Light prob

Ok i have a 2000 pontiac grand am SE and for the past 9 months now.. every so often [about once or twice a month] my security light will come on when im driving. whenever i turn the car off, then go to turn it back on, it will NOT start. we found out that i need my car jumped to get it started again.
((this is not a battery problem. i got a new battery and it still does it.))

So, the other morning it did it and i had to get my neighbor to help me jump my car so i could go to work. its really a pain and we cant figure out what it is.
we've took it to many shops and they cant seem to figure it out

anyone have any ideas?

:[

i guess if i cant get rid of the problem ill save up to get a new car but i really dont want to do that.
fromthestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:12 PM   #2
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthestars
Ok i have a 2000 pontiac grand am SE and for the past 9 months now.. every so often [about once or twice a month] my security light will come on when im driving. whenever i turn the car off, then go to turn it back on, it will NOT start. we found out that i need my car jumped to get it started again.
((this is not a battery problem. i got a new battery and it still does it.))

So, the other morning it did it and i had to get my neighbor to help me jump my car so i could go to work. its really a pain and we cant figure out what it is.
we've took it to many shops and they cant seem to figure it out

anyone have any ideas?

:[

i guess if i cant get rid of the problem ill save up to get a new car but i really dont want to do that.


Please clarify what security light you are talking about. I had a 1996 Grand Am SE that I had some trouble with regarding the Passlock THEFT SYS system commonly called VATS. Are you speaking of a SECURITY immobilization system as in "car alarm" or are you talking about the passlock system? I know that GMs with a security system STOCK have a SECURITY light as well. My 2002 Pontiac Trans Am is equipped with such.

Also, we need to know if the car is COMPLETELY stock as in NOTHING electrically has been added to the car by anyone, or are we talking about some security system that you installed or added to the car? I am assuming you are speaking of your factory equipped SECURITY light on the dash?!

From what you are describing, it sounds as though this would be more of a security system problem than a THEFT SYS one. THEFT SYS on these gms will allow the engine to be cranked normally and it WILL normally fire up, run for a second then die if that system is triggered. Sometimes they will continuously crank. You seem to "suggest" that yours will not even spin over because you talk about having to jump it then it is fine? You said it will not start....so does that mean you cannot get it to spin over or does it spin and not fire. If the latter is the case, it ain't the battery for sure! Has ANYthing been done to the car's electrical system, et al.? Are you using the stock/factory ignition key?
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
I forgot to mention one thing.......If ANYone has installed a PASSLOCK BYPASS MODULE in this car to BYPASS the PASSLOCK/VATS system (this is done in cases where REMOTE STARTERS are installed).....it is VERY possible that the resistance settings for the dip-switches on the passlock bypass module might not be set correctly to spec depending on the type of transponder installed in the car. This could cause irritation of the security system and trigger it. This arguement would be null and void if you know for a fact the car does not have a bypass module and/or remote starter installed, but it is more food for thought!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:07 PM   #4
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
According to my books, no VATS or PATS on this year of Grand Am
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefonz
According to my books, no VATS or PATS on this year of Grand Am

Maybe there is not...I don't have a ton of spare time right now but I googled it and found nothing thus far, but I did find reference to it on a 2001 Grand Am. I find it very odd that GM would not use some type of VATS or PATS on this model year Grand Am. They've used it on tons of cars in the past years and they have it on many of their trucks, etc. Suffice it to say, they have it on most of their fairly modern vehicles, or many of them. GM uses it widely, but it may totally be a security system issue as it sounds more like to me anyways. There might be a fault code in the security system. Without more knowledge of the car and what has been done etc....he'll have to go from here. Good Luck!
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #6
thefonz
CF Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeseadoin
Maybe there is not...I don't have a ton of spare time right now but I googled it and found nothing thus far, but I did find reference to it on a 2001 Grand Am. I find it very odd that GM would not use some type of VATS or PATS on this model year Grand Am. They've used it on tons of cars in the past years and they have it on many of their trucks, etc. Suffice it to say, they have it on most of their fairly modern vehicles, or many of them. GM uses it widely, but it may totally be a security system issue as it sounds more like to me anyways. There might be a fault code in the security system. Without more knowledge of the car and what has been done etc....he'll have to go from here. Good Luck!

Although I agree with you, all my books show for the Grand Am, no VATS or PATS until 2005
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:17 AM   #7
fromthestars
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
i use the ignition key, and i read in the manual that it means the PASSLOCK security system isnt installed or not working properly.

thats what the book says, so im not sure.

i think it might have to do with the fact i always use the key, and i dont have a clicker/button thingy.

:/
fromthestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 AM   #8
fromthestars
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 3
oh BTW

i havent installed anything doing with electrical in my car. we got a new battery to see if it would help this problem but it didnt.


when i first got the car, i had to get the head gaskets fixed but this problem started wayyy after that so its been like a year.
fromthestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:11 PM   #9
cmeseadoin
CF Freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthestars
i use the ignition key, and i read in the manual that it means the PASSLOCK security system isnt installed or not working properly.

thats what the book says, so im not sure.

i think it might have to do with the fact i always use the key, and i dont have a clicker/button thingy.

:/

Hmm, interesting......So you do not have or do not use the remote? I know the car had keyless when new so have you never had the FOB? I wonder if at some point, the remote was used to trigger the security system and now seeing as you don't have it, each time you put the key in, it's looking for the remote to first de-activate the security system?? Has this been the case during your entire ownership of the car that you have had no remote, or did you at some point lose or break the remote? Did this starting issue just happen all of a sudden, or has it been the case since you bought it? (I'm looking for a correlation between when the issue you are having started and how it relates to non-use of a remote control to lock/unlock, thus could the issue be related to the remote one time setting the system and now you've never de-activated it??) I can EASILY see a problem if that remote was used to set the security system and now you never deactivated the system with the remote, and just stuck the key in. I can see how that might cause an issue.
__________________
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2002 Pontiac Trans AM Ram Air WS-6, 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2002 Durango 5.9 R/T, 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4, 1994 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2L, 1976 Buick 225 Limited, 1992 Miata, 2008 Miata.

Other toys: 2003 Honda Superhawk 996 sportbike, 2007 Suzuki M109R cruiser, 2006 Kawasaki KLR 650, 1996 and 1997 Sea Doo GSX limited watercraft.
cmeseadoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:15 AM   #10
Cuppycake22
CF Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Lightbulb answer to you security problems

you do not need to jump your car! ok i know its a pain this has happen to me and when it started it was midnight when i was getting off work a friend towed my car to their shop and figured out the problem if your car is used like mine you might not have the original key copies can mess with the security and mag in your ignition but if you try to turn your car on and it doesnt crank but your security flashes leave the key in dont touch and when the security light stays on it takes about 7 - 10 min crank it and your good to go the last time it happened to me was about 3 months ago
Cuppycake22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2002 - 2011 Car Forums. All rights reserved.